The Beast
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Watching More TV? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 1:08 pm

Watched a film on channel 81 which was made during the War called A Canterbury Tale, full of propaganda as you would expect.

One thing did surprise me was that one of the main characters, who was in uniform for the duration, was saying that before the War he played the organ in a cinema and was paid £30 per week. That does seem to be a very high wage for the 1930's, don't you think.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2020 3:52 pm

watching films produced in b/w - much enjoy it to color in fact - my son tells me i can adjust tht tv to see color films in b/w?
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2020 8:59 pm

Watching "Vera", not very exciting but not much else to watch.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2020 9:26 am

I used to read a lot of Stephen King books so it might not be a surprise that I look at the films on the Horror Channel. Some of them are just predictable or gory for the sake of it and I end up switching to something else after half an hour.

There was one the other night I thought was good but I can't remember the name of it. It was sort of a 'Groundhog Day' scenario and I watched that story all the way through.

I'll admit to having looked in on 'Naked Attraction' a couple of times but 10 minutes of that is the most I've managed so far. One thing I reckon, nearly everyone looks better with their clothes on ..or maybe I'm just getting old.  yes
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2020 10:06 am

Could never really get into Stephen King, I thought Carrie was awful !! although The Green Mile was a good read.
I don't watch much TV these days ... we are in bed around 7pm in the evening, I record Coronation St and the odd film for watching in the afternoons.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 16, 2020 8:42 am

My brother used to wonder what I saw in Stephen King stories. I don't know what it was/is really. Just something that takes the mind into places that might be called escapism maybe.

Those that were made into films were OK but never quite recreated the atmosphere of the books.

The only book I never finished because I found it boring was 'Dolores Claiborne'. I don't read books much at all these days but still tend to watch any Stephen King films that come on TV just because I've read the books.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Watching The Cockleshell Heroes which is a film I remember seeing at the cinema in the late 1950's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cockleshell_Heroes
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 21, 2020 8:48 am

I read every day and have done for many years, usually American murder/mystery novels.
I tend to find an author I like and then read his/her entire output.
I buy them from ebay for around three or four pounds and then when I have a box full I take them to a charity shop but lately they have all been closed and not accepting donations so I have around a hundred boxed/bagged and ready to go they are cluttering the spare room along with quite a few bags of clothes, mainly hers I have to say .... mine I wear until they fall apart, I have some stuff that I wear regularly, week in week out mainly shirts that are over 30 years old !....yesterday I cleaned the car wearing a pair of wellingtons that are more than 50 years old and still in regular use.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Thought I had seen all the episodes of A Touch Of Frost but there is a new one to me on at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 10:27 pm

I can't say I've got any clothes of that age Malcolm, although I think I've got some that are around 10 years old. Mrs mart sometimes goes through my clothes and tells me she can't remember the last time she saw me wearing a particular item. It isn't worn out but she's usually right and I don't grumble if it goes into a clothes collection bag.

I used to be a great reader of books but haven't read any for ages now. I expect I'll take it up again one day.

I've just watched the last episode of 'A Suitable Boy'. I quite enjoyed the serial, more than I thought I would in fact. It was a good drama on BBC1.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:45 am

"To Serve them all my days" - watched the entire series on U tube - stirring british stuff of the old genre - some good actors in it too with one two finally finishing up as stars in Heart Beat!! and one in "New Tricks"- a few momentary sex scenes subtly done too!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2020 1:34 pm

I've finished watching 'The Crown' right from the first episode. A good series. The politics of the day are as interesting as the family affairs and protocols. In the drama, the Queen can come across as a cold person in later life but I think the realisation comes that she is as much a servant to the crown, establishment and traditions as other members of the family. Of course it has to be remembered that it is just a drama and probably much of it isn't a reality.

Now watching 'Afterlife' written and acted in by Ricky Gervais. A bit of a tear-jerker at times. A good tale but spoiled by the extremely bad language. I want to watch it to the end despite that. Just have to concentrate on the drama rather than the swearing.
Back to top Go down
The Beast
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
The Beast

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2020 12:31 pm

My brother used to wonder what I saw in Stephen King stories. 

Mart, I haven't read a Stephen King novel in many a year, I became a little tired of his prose,which reflected, what I though was a slight indifference in some of his writings in latter years.

Enjoyed his early works though. A great screen interpretation is 'The Dark half'. Look out for it.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0106664/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2021 11:02 am

I've now taken out my own subscription to Netflix instead of freeloading using our daughter's account. I've been making good used of it.

I got interested in the drug wars series. I watched one about the rise and fall of El Chapo, a Mexican drug lord and then another called 'Narcos' about Pablo Escobar. The one about Escobar is difficult to follow because it has been subtitled rather than dubbed. A really interesting watch nonetheless.

In between those two, there was a serial called 'Stranger Things'. OK if into fantasy worlds. I also enjoy watching 'Still Game' a Scottish sitcom.

The habit has become to settle down in front of the TV at 9.00 p.m to watch these long-running stories for a couple of hours before bedtime.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 am

el chapo was good I thought well acted but depicting brutality at its worst - still enjoying call the midwife back series - reminds you of how good the world once was!
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 07, 2021 6:03 am

Mart wrote:

The habit has become to settle down in front of the TV at 9.00 p.m to watch these long-running stories for a couple of hours before bedtime.
Don't know how you manage to stay awake....I've been in bed and fast asleep for a couple of hours by 9pm !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Watching More TV?   Watching More TV? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Watching More TV?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next