Goldie
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 2:08 am

Hello Sags! You're looking much more relaxed now you're not in charge.  yes
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 7:50 am

I did some work in the NHS in the sixties - excellent standard of care and attention - far superior to today and they certainly wouldn't tolerate any sort of animal - disgusting! wait until you get your first outbreak of rabies then you'll all be panicking. I hear that the Spanish like their "pigs" to come and visit them in hospital? Can't beat a good bonk with a honk! whistle
Back to top Go down
sags
Ex-member
Ex-member
sags

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 am

Ciderman wrote:

Why thank you Ciderman ... only this morning when I looked in the mirror I could swear there were fewer worry lines wrinkles ..or that could just be my deteriorating eyesight.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 10:58 am

sags wrote:
Ciderman wrote:

Why thank you Ciderman ... only this morning when I looked in the mirror I could swear there were fewer worry lines wrinkles ..or that could just be my deteriorating eyesight.
 I am pleased for you sags. You are a good moderator and excellent  communicator and witty.

As you know I quit as moderator. I am just too soft and feel sorry for everyone including their pets and dogs and cats, aunts, uncles who I woukd have adopted and had a house full. 

I apologise unreservedly if it came over as any other way on any threads recently.

I had a very  bad day on  the day there was a simple misunderstanding in my view. You know us girls, react with an emotional response  :;smile:

Nice to see you posting pork chop xx
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 11:11 am

davo wrote:
I did some work in the NHS in the sixties - excellent standard of care and attention - far superior to today and they certainly wouldn't tolerate any sort of animal - disgusting! wait until you get your first outbreak of rabies then you'll all be panicking. I hear that the Spanish like their "pigs" to come and visit them in hospital? Can't beat a good bonk with a honk! whistle
 We had dogs, rats, mice, rabbits in the hospital in the 70s and still have, other than dogs for research purposes and still do. 

I witnessed a rat chocke  to death whilst a tube was forced down its throat. The technician thought it was funny. In the cancer ward a box of mice escaped into the ward.  They were used to test radiotherapy beam therapy  They fried to death most of them.

Rabbits had drops forced into their eyes and often blinded and died in pain or skin grafting.

Beagles were used as you know to test the affects of smoking and forced smoked in mass,  which they could not remove. They used Beagles as they were more compliant.  Some dogs from the pound found their way there to.

Because of activists that saw the dogs being exercised on the roof of the hospital and public outcry. This process was stopped. Thank  goodness. 

My love of animals stems from seeing this practice.

There are even more gory stories much worse. Which I refuse to go into.

To me life is precious even animals.

So unless you have witnessed that with the greatest of respect.  Shut your gob   :;smile: it is not funny to see animals tortured
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 11:42 am

Goldie wrote:
Hi catgate great response. Another fellow slave to protocol  :;smile:

I was for part of my career a trials research manager testing drugs on vulnerable patients and worked alongside pharmaceutical companies and the ethics committee plus attending meetings for days on  end  in Brussels sometimes to attain extra funding.

If ethics or the medicine control agency were unhappy the trial would be pulled, that included all aspects of hygiene. Paperwork, absolutely anything. Interviewing was tough when there was an audit.

I had to resign from that job due to pressure from my first husband. A job I would still love to do to this day. It was well paid but decide personal happiness was more important than financial gain. I got divorced, yipeeeee  :;smile:

I ended my career working for care of the elderly and loved the old guys and gals. Less money but with it, a sense of fun, plus no more personal stress.

I agree on the hygiene aspect but feel perhaps for the elderly or care homes a boon.

Hate to say it folks. British hospitals are disgustingly dirty due to cut backs,not theatres though. 

You are paying hospital managers many tiers to invent just another daft protocol.

One being patients should be treated like customers in a bank?

After a very emotional meeting with a top tier management number 8 on the list with all fellow colleagues, doctors and nurses everyone. I realised the NHS was no longer for me. 

If you can't hug a patient, reassure them due to another daft protocol.  Then goodbye NHS.

I finally retired, which was gut wrenching for me and staff alike.

There is simply no money to fund the NHS anymore.

I took redundancy, even then I was diddled out of my correct 42 years service, whilst top executives walk away with thousands.

I  did try to fight it but came to the conclusion it was better just to walk away.

But the chief Executive had the most awkward meeting with me. It seems 42 years of loyal service accounts for nothing. Whilst he sits in an ivory tower earning thousands for maybe attending twice a week.  He was told by me though. Looked very red if I remember drum

His secretary gave me a high five and said you are leaving at the right time.

I miss my patients and staff but not the NHS anymore.

Cannock Chase hospital is spotless, and the staff and doctors are superb.  'Er indoors and me have experienced superb care there. Also, as far as I am concerned billions of pounds are being put into the NHS.  New dugs and treatments are continually being brought on line, some of them extremely expensive.  The injections that I used to have to give to 'Er indoors cast £10,000 per annum.  She is being changed to a different one at a similar cost.  People equal to a city the size of Sheffield are entering the country every year, some of them do not work and contribute to taxes.  This is unsustainable. I think that the NHS is working miracles in the light of such problems.  Treatments available today in general are a far and away more sophisticated and expensive tha nwhen the NHS was first formed.

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi andsome some are not so lucky in Wales due to the Welsh Assembly who control the NHS budgets. Vital cancer drugs are being denied patients because of the cost. I believe the trust is 42 million pounds in debt. The Welsh Assembly was going to refuse further funding but the government had to step in as we would have been the first hospital in Wales to have been refused funding. 

The care is amazing and no criticism that the care you will have. Some are denied due to budget restraints. You would be totally unaware of that though.

It is like our own housekeeping budget.  There is only so much you can live on. Do you have a holiday or car or just survive on everyday essentials. The pot is limited so choices have to be made.

On the surface our hospital looked clean. It's the areas the public do not see are a bit to be desired.

Despite having paid all my contributions in the UK. We have to pay 120 euros a month to gain access to the public health system till my state pension kicks in in two years. My choice I know and I wouldn't have it any different. 

Health care here is excellent and spotless. You have two beds to a room with en suite shower. Nursing care is excellent to none with one to one nursing care. No drug is denied and a full service of all cancer drugs available. Apart from travel,  to Gran Canaria for radiotherapy if needed.

prescriptions in Wales are free unlike England.

Prescriptions here you pay full rate of the cost of the drug, no discount for me until I reach pension age.

The pharmacies are in control of their own budgets but very helpful.  Tourists can no longer buy drugs over the counter and us anymore even Paracetamol or any pain relief. All have  to go on prescription so are forced to go to the clinic. The doctor may refuse that if it is just a simple medication.

Our accident and emergency centres are actually in the clinics and not in the hospital,.

Most of us residents are grateful for the service we recieve. They will not turn you away unless thought non urgent, such as sunburn or minor ailments. Tourists seem surprised they cannot simply throw themselves into a clinic as in the UK with an aching  toe nail.

If it's urgent you get treated if not you are sent away. Sunburn is self  inflicted same as alcohol poisoning. They are warned about the dangers.

Jelly fish stings the same. The vulnerable like the elderly will get treated but healthier  people may not be.

My care has been second to none and excellent in my eyes.i have all the medication and dressing care I need
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 12:15 pm

So unless you have witnessed that with the greatest of respect.  Shut your gob

no need to get abusive - you know the rules as a former moderator - but perhaps that is your style?
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 1:05 pm

davo wrote:
So unless you have witnessed that with the greatest of respect.  Shut your gob

no need to get abusive - you know the rules as a former moderator - but perhaps that is your style?
 I was joking Davo. Hence the smiley face after the remark.  It's a Welsh expression. Sorry you took it the wrong way. blowkiss

I think we definitely do not understand each other at times as I find some of your remarks a bit hard to understand to be honest.

Everything I try to explain in full for you to understand but somewhere it goes up into space for both of us I think.

I have nothing against you or anyone of the forum. I never really know if you are being serious or just winding people up as us the Aussie way.

I hate the written word as their is no facial expression. I have a huge smile on my face most of the time 

hat

Hey big guy. I quit as a moderator as it didn't suit me,  that all there was to it. It's a hard job trying to please everyone. I rarely barred anyone for their comments and was told off if I did not by the forum owner. Whom I am still good friends with by the way.

So Davo please do not feel offended ok.

You can please some people some of the time but not all of the time sun

Forget it mate and carry on posting x  blowkiss
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 3:47 pm

Not long after writing my last contribution to this topic I was suddenly struck by another very odd happening in a hospital in the midlands. It was a small hospital that was concerned mostly with orthopeadic matters and the subject of this visit completely escapes me.

I had had a request to go and meet on of the surgeons and enlighten him about something or other. I had spoken to him over the 'phone and arranged a suitable time and date. He said that he might be "in theatre" when called, but he would be able to come out as and when.

I presented myself to the door he had suggested and the receptionist showed me into a little room just off from the reception area. It was a room slightly bigger than the size of the average sitting room. It had a door opposite the one through which I entered and these doors  were right at the end if their wall in the corner. In the corner diametrically opposite the entry I had come through was an office desk and a chair. There were sit-up straight chairs right round the walls.
I turned right and walked to the corner.

I had only been there about ten minutes when the through the door I had used came two policemen. Their garb suggested to me they were "traffic cops".  They both sat down  just next to the door through which I had entered.
A very noisey silence ensued for about a quarter of an hour. I broke it by asking if they had just brought in a crash victim. The reply was  "Oh! no. We often drop in for a cup of tea if we are in the area."

The noisey silence was broken again after about another ten minutes, by the entry of a tea trolley.
There was a little light banter between the police and the tea maids, and as this was happening the other door opened and in came the surgeon.
He was devoid of some of the usual operating garments but still had on his mask and wellys. He went to his desk  and pulled out a pipe and started to clean out the ash in order to refill it.
Being a pipeman myself I walked across and offered my hand  shake and a pouch of tobacco.
I took a seat nearer his desk and a cup of tea from one of the girls and quiet reigned again for a few moments.

The policemen drank their tea fairly quickly, and moved on with a "cheerio" and was left to finish my tea and talk to the surgeon about ???????
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Goldie wrote:
Hi andsome some are not so lucky in Wales due to the Welsh Assembly who control the NHS budgets. Vital cancer drugs are being denied patients because of the cost. I believe the trust is 42 million pounds in debt. The Welsh Assembly was going to refuse further funding but the government had to step in as we would have been the first hospital in Wales to have been refused funding. 

The care is amazing and no criticism that the care you will have. Some are denied due to budget restraints. You would be totally unaware of that though.

It is like our own housekeeping budget.  There is only so much you can live on. Do you have a holiday or car or just survive on everyday essentials. The pot is limited so choices have to be made.

On the surface our hospital looked clean. It's the areas the public do not see are a bit to be desired.

Despite having paid all my contributions in the UK. We have to pay 120 euros a month to gain access to the public health system till my state pension kicks in in two years. My choice I know and I wouldn't have it any different. 

Health care here is excellent and spotless. You have two beds to a room with en suite shower. Nursing care is excellent to none with one to one nursing care. No drug is denied and a full service of all cancer drugs available. Apart from travel,  to Gran Canaria for radiotherapy if needed.

Prescriptions here you pay full rate of the cost of the drug, no discount for me until I reach pension age.

The pharmacies are in control of their own budgets but very helpful.  Tourists can no longer buy drugs over the counter and us anymore even Paracetamol or any pain relief. All have  to go on prescription so are forced to go to the clinic. The doctor may refuse that if it is just a simple medication.

Our accident and emergency centres are actually in the clinics and not in the hospital,.

Most of us residents are grateful for the service we recieve. They will not turn you away unless thought non urgent, such as sunburn or minor ailments. Tourists seem surprised they cannot simply throw themselves into a clinic as in the UK with an aching  toe nail.

If it's urgent you get treated if not you are sent away. Sunburn is self  inflicted same as alcohol poisoning. They are warned about the dangers.

Jelly fish stings the same. The vulnerable like the elderly will get treated but healthier  people may not be.

My care has been second to none and excellent in my eyes.i have all the medication and dressing care I need

Until I had the mini seizures and I was stopped diving we ran two cars. I have now sold my car as I have had another two seizures and would have been suspended from driving for a further six months. We have always had at least one holiday a year,sometimes several short breaks,and had several planned for this year. These have had to be cancelled as even if my wife had not had her recent problems she will not drive long distances. We are quite comfortable as I saved hard over the years with my retirement in mind. I sympathise with those who due to a low income have not been able to accrue a decent private pension,but there are many in this country who have peed thousands of pounds up the proverbial wall,and many others who have lived beyond their means. Regarding medication costs, in the U.K. Of course pensioners get free prescriptions.

Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Back to topic. I think dogs on some wards and in some care homes are a wonderful idea.

Back to top Go down
sags
Ex-member
Ex-member
sags

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 5:16 pm

So do I andsome . Lovely for any patient ... besides which I gather they are to be trained therapy dogs.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 6:06 pm

andsome wrote:
Goldie wrote:

Until I had the mini seizures and I was stopped diving we ran two cars.  I have now sold my car as I have had another two seizures and would have been suspended from driving  for a further six months. We have always had at least one holiday a year,sometimes several short breaks,and had several planned for this year. These have had to be cancelled as even if my wife had not had her recent problems she will not drive long distances. We are quite comfortable as I saved hard over the years with my retirement in mind. I sympathise with those who due to a low income have not been able to accrue a decent private pension,but there are many in this country who have peed thousands of pounds up the proverbial wall,and many others who have lived beyond their means. Regarding medication costs, in the U.K. Of course pensioners get free prescriptions.
Agree Andsome. I had my full pension but lost out through the sale of the marital home, which I had paid off due to the ex refusing to work. He still lives there.

My ex lost out to a women who spent most of her day eating chocolate and watching soaps. Although worked spas spasmodic ally when yet another chocolate bar was calling and conducting dubious  liaisons and  relationships, refused ever to get a private pension. She just grew in size  :;smile:

my husband worked up to 80 hours a week to support the family as he felt it was his duty.. Suddenly she up and of an went to Stoke and demanded half of his pension. She also wanted the marital home. My mum in law saw sense and guided him to stay put at an emotional time.

We had both saved hard. My ex still trying to get my inheritance  which was not much due to care costs. I nursed my mum first two whole years whilst working to save her going into social care. The solicitor ring fenced all my accounts but  my ex  cleared out the joint account.

We made our bucket list and decided to travel I had my own home but still had a mortgage and worked till I dropped mostly.

We had a look at our finances and decided to take a giant leap in the dark. We sold in the UK, got rid of cars and any fancy ideas.

We brought a villa and sold a few months ago, making a nice little profit.

We owe nowt to anybody, we live simply as that is all you need out here and now have savings once again.

Food is cheap and fresh and we live comfortably.

My gripe with the the social system in the UK is unmarried mothers  and others claiming sometimes more that I was earning full time  and getting free social housing.

There is a need for more social housing for those most in need. More social  homes built to replace dwindling ones that have never been built in years,.

Hard luck the NIMBY population more homes are needed in my view to care for real need.

It has worked social housing in more affluent areas as if you live in a decent location then people tend to look after their homes in the same way, just as some of the council estates in the UK.

My mum in law lives in her council house but brought many years ago. The estate often wins bloom of the year competitions as everyone has a sense of pride.  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 23, 2017 2:17 am

catgate wrote:
Not long after writing my last contribution to this topic I was suddenly struck by another very odd happening in a hospital in the midlands. It was a small hospital that was concerned mostly with orthopeadic matters and the subject of this visit completely escapes me.

I had had a request to go and meet on of the surgeons and enlighten him about something or other. I had spoken to him over the 'phone and arranged a suitable time and date. He said that he might be "in theatre" when called, but he would be able to come out as and when.

I presented myself to the door he had suggested and the receptionist showed me into a little room just off from the reception area. It was a room slightly bigger than the size of the average sitting room. It had a door opposite the one through which I entered and these doors  were right at the end if their wall in the corner. In the corner diametrically opposite the entry I had come through was an office desk and a chair. There were sit-up straight chairs right round the walls.
I turned right and walked to the corner.

I had only been there about ten minutes when the through the door I had used came two policemen. Their garb suggested to me they were "traffic cops".  They both sat down  just next to the door through which I had entered.
A very noisey silence ensued for about a quarter of an hour. I broke it by asking if they had just brought in a crash victim. The reply was  "Oh! no. We often drop in for a cup of tea if we are in the area."

The noisey silence was broken again after about another ten minutes, by the entry of a tea trolley.
There was a little light banter between the police and the tea maids, and as this was happening the other door opened and in came the surgeon.
He was devoid of some of the usual operating garments but still had on his mask and wellys. He went to his desk  and pulled out a pipe and started to clean out the ash in order to refill it.
Being a pipeman myself I walked across and offered my hand  shake and a pouch of tobacco.
I took a seat nearer his desk and a cup of tea from one of the girls and quiet reigned again for a few moments.

The policemen drank their tea fairly quickly, and moved on with a "cheerio" and was left to finish my tea and talk to the surgeon about ???????
I am surprised he did not have a Mac Donald and Chips. Maybe an infection risk from the policemen, tea maids, receptionist, and surgeon. He would not have changed his wellies that's for sure.

Certainly makes you think  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 23, 2017 3:16 am

the police have always had a torturous relationship with hospital staff - they often come together at moments of grief and criminality - I have seen A/E staff refuse questioning rights by the police on the grounds of 'patient unfit for questioning'

but the police are often visitors to hospitals and so also have a collegiate relationship and share a cup of tea and sandwich if possible and try to share a story or two!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dogs on Hospital Wards   Dogs on Hospital Wards - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dogs on Hospital Wards
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next