meerkat12
The Beast
malcolm
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 42 ... 68  Next
AuthorMessage
-pops-

What's on your menu today - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 8:40 am

As we're listing medications, mine are:

Mebivolol 5mg (Beta blocker)
Ramipril 5mg (ACE inhibitor) split dose of that - it's suppoed to work on one a day but it doesn't with me and I need a second dose at night.
Furosemide 40mg (diuretic - have to be careful not to leave the house for a few hours after taking that).
Doxazosin 4mg (alpha blocker)
Amlodipine 10mg (calcium channel blocker to control blood pressure)
Aspirin 75mg (antiplatelets control blood clotting)
Dihydrocodeine 20mg or 60mg sustained release depending on if I think I'll have a bad day (arthritis). I take these during the day as well.

At night:

The second Ramipril
Atorvastatin 80mg for cholesterol
A laxative. Taking that amount of opioid induces quite severe constipation so I take a laxative most days. The actual type varies as I quickly become tolerant of them and they then don't do what they're supposed to do. I have five or six different types which I take on a rotating basis of a week before changing to a different one.

I also have a glyceryl trinitrate spray for heart pain/angina but, I'm very pleased that following the latest poking around inside my heart a few weeks ago, I've not needed to use it at all. Prior to this, I was using the spray many times a day. I always ensure that I have one of the sprays with me at all time.

Last edited by -pops- on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 8:49 am

Beef and vegetable stir-fry with egg fried rice.
Thin sliced rump steak and thinly sliced veg...onion, peppers, celery, carrot, swede and mushroom....soy sauce, fish sauce, five spice, rice-wine, garlic, cumin, lime-juice and MSG.
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 9:08 am

Back to the subject of the thread. Today we're having mixed pork & beef burgers (Frikadellen)  with chips and beans

250g minced lean beef
250g minced lean pork
1 egg (I don't normally like adding eggs to my burgers but these don't hold together very well without and, it is authentic)
Large tablespoon fresh parsley
1 onion, chopped
Seasoning to taste.

Mix all of the above together and pass through a mincer for a second time - this gives a very fine paste. Pass a stale bread roll through the mincer at the end. This will retrieve any meat residues and add bit of body to the mixture. Mix everything very well and form into flat cakes. Fry for a few minutes to cook.

Once when I made this I got the proportions a bit wrong and ended up with a very sloppy mixture. So, I oiled a flat cake tin (victoria sponge type) spread the mix in that and baked in the oven. Served in slices, like a cake.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 9:23 am

You can get 'em ready made at Aldi and they're very good too.
I make a similar meat loaf with added breadcrumbs along with hard-boiled eggs secreted inside and cooked slowly half-immersed in a broth of tomato and garlic passata.
The Italians call it polpettone

Alternative Recipe
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 9:53 am

Malcom, the polpettone sounds good.

Regarding ready made mixed meat products, I'm very iffy about these. I've heard some quite horrific stories of what actually goes into them and I know from actual experience.

I used to work at a company in Ashford, Kent which was next door to Batchelors Foods (then owned by Unilever). Amonst other things, this place made Vesta dried ready meals, Cuppa Soup and also canned meats. Both companies were owned by Unilever and there was more or less free movement of employees between the two premises.

Anyway, it was well known that cattle carcases would enter the factory and be processed into food and the only things discarded were fat (sold on to soapmakers) and teeth which went to landfill. The reason teeth were separated was because they were so hard, they blunted the cutters on the grinding machines.

I have lots of tales of horror about food processing. They may be passed on at later dates but you can possibly see a reason why I am so picky about premade foods.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 10:51 am

I have just made a Polpettone with pork and beef mince re-minced with added breadcrumbs, parmesan egg, and garlic....plus one Frikadellen (made in Germany) from Aldi out of my freezer.
There are two boiled eggs secreted in the 'meatloaf' and it is now in the oven at 170 degrees in a 'crueset' casserole dish simmering in a broth of passata and tinned (blitzed) tomatoes s&p and sugar added....maybe we will have it today or maybe tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Mmm, that sounds delicious.  I will definitely be trying that one out.  It's so good to try something new.   :;smile:

-----------------------------------------
..What's on your menu today - Page 16 Irene_10
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Roast pork, crackling, roast spuds, green vegetables, apple sauce and stuffing with gravy of course.

I never succeeded with pork crackling because I always slow roast meat in a fan oven at 85C for as long as it takes for a meat thermometer to reach 70C. The pork will take about 3 hours today and will be succulent all the way through. Too high a temperature with meat of all sorts and the outer layers are over-cooked and the inner section too rare.

However - a friend gave me a tip.

Cut the rind and fat it off the meat when you take the meat out of the oven for resting, remove and discard most of the blubbery inner layer and drop the rind it into a deep fat fryer at 190C for a few minutes. The crackling bubbles up like a stiff crackly foam.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle

Last edited by AlanHo on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Anyone fancy a slice of what's left of my polpettone

What's on your menu today - Page 16 2Q==
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Me, me, me!   What's on your menu today - Page 16 Happy010

..What's on your menu today - Page 16 Irene_10
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 5:40 pm

yes Just help yourself
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Can I please have a piece without any hard boiled sulphury egg in it.

My wife doesn't like the consequence and moves to the spare bedroom.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Sulphury.....wot chew talkin' bout Willis ?
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Yew no eggsactly wot I meen.

Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2017 7:52 am

I think we'll have fish today and a salad. Mackerel if it is available. Knob of butter and a fresh bay leaf in its cavity, wrapped in foil and baked for about 30 minutes.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2017 8:41 am

Cold roast chicken left from yesterday, with boiled spuds, spring greens and carrots.

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

What's on your menu today - Page 16 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's on your menu today
Page 16 of 68Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 42 ... 68  Next