malcolm
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 41 ... 68  Next
AuthorMessage
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator

What's on your menu today - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 8:18 am

Here is an authentic version ... it can of course be adapted.
Tom Yum soup
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 8:38 am

Special Bean Soup today.

This is made from all the old scraps of vegetable in the fridge (provided it's still viable), old bits of salami/chorizo/bacon/etc. (condition as per vegetables). Onion, garlic and carrot are essential.
Chop everything into "soup-size" pieces, place in a pan with a stock cube/pot/etc. If you have an old Parmesan rind, put that in as well, cover with water and cook until tender. Discard the cheese rind. Liquidise a tin of tomatoes, add about half of the veg/meat and liquidise. You can, of course, liquidise the whole lot. Pour everything back into the cooking pan. Add drained tinned beans to suit (cannellini, borlotti, black eyed peas etc. If you use red kidney beans, wash carefully to remove the dark sludge that lurks at the bottom of the tin - it turns the soup a very unappetising colour). Season to suit. Make in the morning to enjoy later on in the day, or make the day before. It improves on standing.

Before serving, reheat, add lots of chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with warm crusty bread.

This is another one of those things that takes ten times longer to describe than it does to make.

Last edited by -pops- on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 8:57 am

That is my sort of thing pops.  I rarely religiously follow recipes, I just bung in whatever I have to hand, similar to the above. With soups more often than not I finish of by using a stick blender to make it thick and smooth. I often add most of a tube of tomato purée too.

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

What's on your menu today - Page 15 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 pm

malcolm wrote:
Here is an authentic version ... it can of course be adapted.
Tom Yum soup

That looks good, Malcolm

My problem is that I am not fond of chillies.  Everyone I know seems to like food with them, but it has to be very mild for me.   What's on your menu today - Page 15 Pout10
 What's on your menu today - Page 15 Rolley10

..What's on your menu today - Page 15 Irene_10
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 4:06 pm

I love chillies but they don't like me.They interact with my medication, Metformin in particular. Sometimes I'm OK and sometimes I'm not
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 4:21 pm

I think I know exactly what you mean!  I also take Metformin.  When I first started taking them, they had a horrific effect on me - was afraid to move more that a couple of feet away from the bathroom.  What's on your menu today - Page 15 Snigge10 
My GP changed the dosage to 2 x 500g slow release, to taken after my evening meal - a vast improvement, but I still have to be wary of the 'outcome'.  

The reluctance about chillies makes me feel like a baby, but I simply can't help it.

Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Tonight (in view of my limited hand capacity) we are taking the easy route...

It will be M&S Gastropub Fish Pie:  Cod, King prawns, smoked haddock and Lochmuir salmon with spinach in a creamy cheese sauce.  I'll serve it with broccoli and brie (deep fried in flour, egg & breadcrumbs).

I also made a bread and butter pudding for my hubby, who has an extremely sweet tooth.  ;)

Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Another light(ish) meal.

Home made pepperoni Pizza with rabbit food (salad).

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 5:22 pm

I take eight lots of medication every morning, altogether with a mouthful of coffee, including 1gram of  Metformin, usually with no problems, but occasionally something goes wrong and I'm up all night in the bathroom.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Both me and my wife have type 2 diabetes - but diet controlled. Hence the regular appearance of rabbit food in our diet. 

We both have a number of other complaints - the result being that travel insurance for our overseas holidays now costs more that the rest of the holiday. It will get worse after March - because I will then be 80 - an unforgivable sin according to the insurance industry, especially when you have hiatus hernia, angina, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a large boil on your arse.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 8:30 pm

malcolm wrote:
I take eight lots of medication every morning, altogether with a mouthful of coffee, including 1gram of  Metformin, usually with no problems, but occasionally something goes wrong and I'm up all night in the bathroom.

I also need to be aware of what else I eat and/or drink...

I must admit, I do sometimes feel like a 'junkie'...

My morning medication includes:
·         10mg Ramipril; 2.5mg Bendroflumethiazide - for Blood pressure
·         Digoxin 125 and Digoxin 62.5 micrograms; Bisoprolol 10mg; - for Atrial Fibrillation 
·         20mg Omeprazole – for Reflux
·         Codeine Phosphate 30mg – when required for Arthritis
·         Paracetamol 2 x 500mg – 4 times per day when required

Followed in the evening by:
·         Warfarin (as per INR requirements) – for Atrial Fibrillation
·         40mg Simvastatin – for Cholesterol
·         Metformin (modified-release) 2 x 500mg – for Diabetes 

Sometimes I wonder how my body continues to operate at all!  :;smile:

Last edited by Irene on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:42 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 8:38 pm

You win - no wonder the NHS is short of funds. Us lot are draining it dry.

Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 9:48 pm

AlanHo wrote:
You win

I wish...

Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 7:42 am

AlanHo wrote:
Both me and my wife have type 2 diabetes - but diet controlled. Hence the regular appearance of rabbit food in our diet. 

We both have a number of other complaints - the result being that travel insurance for our overseas holidays now costs more that the rest of the holiday. It will get worse after March - because I will then be 80 - an unforgivable sin according to the insurance industry, especially when you have hiatus hernia, angina, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a large boil on your arse.
drum drum drum
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 7:52 am

Today it is roast chicken, with several cloves of garlic up its rear end.  Roast spuds carrots and spring greens.

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

What's on your menu today - Page 15 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 8:40 am

As we're listing medications, mine are:

Mebivolol 5mg (Beta blocker)
Ramipril 5mg (ACE inhibitor) split dose of that - it's suppoed to work on one a day but it doesn't with me and I need a second dose at night.
Furosemide 40mg (diuretic - have to be careful not to leave the house for a few hours after taking that).
Doxazosin 4mg (alpha blocker)
Amlodipine 10mg (calcium channel blocker to control blood pressure)
Aspirin 75mg (antiplatelets control blood clotting)
Dihydrocodeine 20mg or 60mg sustained release depending on if I think I'll have a bad day (arthritis). I take these during the day as well.

At night:

The second Ramipril
Atorvastatin 80mg for cholesterol
A laxative. Taking that amount of opioid induces quite severe constipation so I take a laxative most days. The actual type varies as I quickly become tolerant of them and they then don't do what they're supposed to do. I have five or six different types which I take on a rotating basis of a week before changing to a different one.

I also have a glyceryl trinitrate spray for heart pain/angina but, I'm very pleased that following the latest poking around inside my heart a few weeks ago, I've not needed to use it at all. Prior to this, I was using the spray many times a day. I always ensure that I have one of the sprays with me at all time.

Last edited by -pops- on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's on your menu today   What's on your menu today - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's on your menu today
Page 15 of 68Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 41 ... 68  Next