HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

drinks for the serious drinker

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
davo

drinks for the serious drinker - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: drinks for the serious drinker   drinks for the serious drinker - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 pm

I think either in OZ or europe there began a battle about who could produce the strongest beer - they got up to 40% for beer - wot is the point - we have to enjoy it rather than it blot us out. after two bottles of coopers vintage I definitely have a break - steady on laddie!
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: drinks for the serious drinker   drinks for the serious drinker - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 8:33 am

My son has just reminded me that a few years ago he started experimenting with various fruit juices from WW including cider and then adding ordinary bakers yeast and then after fermentation bottling and adding a small amount of sugar for the second fermentation. He made some glorious wines that got people intoxicated very quickly – I think they were drinking pints of the stuff. But I am ready to try some too – from father to son and back again. Will report back later. Any advice CM?
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: drinks for the serious drinker   drinks for the serious drinker - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Back in the 1980's I was asked to run a night class at the local high school for amateur winemaking. I was very surprised to find that in the class of about 25, 20 of them had already played at it and 5 of them had their own still! (Which was illegal back in those days). They had made wine out of everything from 2nd hand tea leaves to grass clippings!
For the second week, I suggested that all who had made something bring it along and we'll have a 'critique' evening. The school had given us a laboratory room for the classes, so we had lots of sinks and water taps so we could sample, spit and rinse out. The quality of the samples brought ranged from absolutely wonderful to bloody awful, but the main problem seemed to be too high alcohol levels. They just kept putting sugar in until it stopped, which meant we ended up at about 18-21%. The evening devolved into a heavy drinking session under the guise of analytical sampling to the point where when it was time to go home, several missed the double door entrance to the room and hit the sides.
As for yeasts bakers yeast will work but there are different strains of yeast that give slightly different characteristics. For that reason very few winemakers rely on natural yeasts as it is difficult to guarantee the ferment will be clean.

-----------------------------------------
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: drinks for the serious drinker   drinks for the serious drinker - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 11:39 pm

OK I'll spit the bones out of that - ta!
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: drinks for the serious drinker   drinks for the serious drinker - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 10:45 pm

Ciderman wrote:
Back in the 1980's I was asked to run a night class at the local high school for amateur winemaking. I was very surprised to find that in the class of about 25, 20 of them had already played at it and 5 of them had their own still! (Which was illegal back in those days). They had made wine out of everything from 2nd hand tea leaves to grass clippings!
For the second week, I suggested that all who had made something bring it along and we'll have a 'critique' evening. The school had given us a laboratory room for the classes, so we had lots of sinks and water taps so we could sample, spit and rinse out. The quality of the samples brought ranged from absolutely wonderful to bloody awful, but the main problem seemed to be too high alcohol levels. They just kept putting sugar in until it stopped, which meant we ended up at about 18-21%. The evening devolved into a heavy drinking session under the guise of analytical sampling to the point where when it was time to go home, several missed the double door entrance to the room and hit the sides.
As for yeasts bakers yeast will work but there are different strains of yeast that give slightly different characteristics. For that reason very few winemakers rely on natural yeasts as it is difficult to guarantee the ferment will be clean.

who's worried clean - I don't need to be clean next morn!
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: drinks for the serious drinker   drinks for the serious drinker - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 4:06 am

HI CM again - need more advice - from across the Tasman - I have started off brewing three different fruit juices 2lt jars. removed a cup of liquor from each then added half a cup of sugar to each and a half teaspoon of yeast - beer in this case!

was told to leave for a few days then prime with a little more sugar for final ferment and to the fridge - but I am somewhat concerned following your story above that they will not be strong enough - what say you?
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: drinks for the serious drinker   drinks for the serious drinker - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 5:31 am

If the fruit juices are all fruit juice they are probably about 8-15% sugar plus your sugar addition should give 10-12% alcohol. Bit of a guess without being able to use a hydrometer on it, but it shouldn't matter too much. Alcohol isn't everything it's a balance that's why reds like Shiraz or Cabernet are usually a bit higher in alcohol than most whites. When it's finished fermenting in a 2 ltr bottle you probably need to add a couple of heaped teaspoons  of sugar for the secondary ferment.

-----------------------------------------
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: drinks for the serious drinker   drinks for the serious drinker - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 11:00 am

cheers buddy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: drinks for the serious drinker   drinks for the serious drinker - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

drinks for the serious drinker
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2