Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

How Car Rain Sensors Work Empty
PostSubject: How Car Rain Sensors Work   How Car Rain Sensors Work EmptyMon Apr 23, 2018 10:52 am

Being an ex-engineer I have always had a natural curiosity about how things work. It has cost me some embarrassment and trouble over the years when I have been unable to re-assemble something I took apart in my quest for knowledge.

So yesterday I was driving the car and it started to spit with rain - causing the wipers to start and then stop when the screen was dry. Having nothing better to do I started speculating how the rain is noticed by the car.

Rather than dismantle the car - I Googled when I got home.

A beam of infra red light from within the car is angled at 45 degrees to the screen. Some of it is reflected back to the sensor. If the screen is wet, the light is deflected and it reduces the amount received by the sensor - at a certain level it causes the wipers to start up and remain working until the screen is dry.

So now we know.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

How Car Rain Sensors Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Car Rain Sensors Work   How Car Rain Sensors Work EmptyTue Apr 24, 2018 6:54 am

That was very instructive Alan. I often have wondered how my wife's car figured it out. My own is too old! I have to tell it to wipe!

-----------------------------------------
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/

How Car Rain Sensors Work
Page 1 of 1