Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

A whole work if you have the time Empty
PostSubject: A whole work if you have the time   A whole work if you have the time EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 9:59 am

I attended the original of this concert in Symphony hall in Birmingham.  A few weeks later the whole thing with the same artists was performed at the proms.  The Symphony hall concert had over 600 performers.  The National youth orchestra of GB is one of the finest orchestras. 

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

A whole work if you have the time 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: A whole work if you have the time   A whole work if you have the time EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 1:33 am

agreed wonderful andsome - play it again sam!
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: A whole work if you have the time   A whole work if you have the time EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 8:21 am

I once attended a concert with that piece in Symphony hall in Birmingham.  There were over six hundred performers on stage that night, it was incredible.

Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: A whole work if you have the time   A whole work if you have the time EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 2:01 pm

A magnificent work. Not performed very often as it is so expensive to stage. Nicknamed Symphony of a Thousand, it does require 800 - 1000 people to take part. The wage bill is astronomical!
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: A whole work if you have the time   A whole work if you have the time EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 3:03 pm

-pops- wrote:
A magnificent work. Not performed very often as it is so expensive to stage. Nicknamed Symphony of a Thousand, it does require 800 - 1000 people to take part. The wage bill is astronomical!

The performance that I spoke about was by The National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain.  Conducted by Simon Rattle.  If you know Symphony Hall in Birmingham, it has several side balconies either side.  The orchestra was 120 strong.  The choir went right up to the back of the organist and the whole of the left hand side of the ground floor seats were also filled with choir and so were each of the side balconies.  The orchestra are one of the finest in the country, young as they are, and it was a spine tingling performance.  The whole orchestra, soloists and the choirs went down to perform the same concert in the proms.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/prom-30-national-youth-orchestrarattle-173467.html

I don't mind admitting that listening to this finale again made tears run down my face.  If music like this does not get at your soul, you are a Philistine.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A whole work if you have the time   A whole work if you have the time Empty

Back to top Go down

A whole work if you have the time
Page 1 of 1