davo
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator

Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goin back to ya roots?   Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 7:24 am

I don't have any 'roots' as such

I was just 14 when my dad died... I had to leave school and get a job in order to support myself, the house was rented and I was too young to take over the tenancy so I found accommodation with a lovely old couple and got a job in a shop.
My accommodation costs took all my wages and I had to walk two miles to work and back......6 days, 9 'til 6 for £3.50.
After a couple of years or so I got a flat and started night school.
My sister was just married when dad died and was no help to me at all financially or otherwise.
I had two brothers, one lived in London a rich theatrical agent whom I never saw and the other one a drunkard who again I never had any contact with.
Despite it all I survived and eventually got a position with British Aerospace where I ended up a Development Engineer.
Married, one son, divorced and re-married and took redundancy in 1991, my wife took her redundancy in 1992 an neither of us has worked since.
Very generous severance payments and occupational pensions paid early.....we were rich ! and even richer when we reached OAP status.
All in all I have had an interesting life but I have no complaints at all.
We are happy and contented with good and successful families .......
and a lovely new great grandson

Enlarge this image
Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 8_mont10
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to ya roots?   Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 8:07 am

What a lovely looking lad Mal. A real cheeky grin.  :;smile: :;smile:

-----------------------------------------
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to ya roots?   Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 8:39 am

mal as he was 70 years ago? hat
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to ya roots?   Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 8:41 am

He hasn't changed a bit! yes

Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to ya roots?   Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 8:48 am

andsome wrote:
AlanHo wrote:
Sad but true Davo - I have cousins all over the UK - including some less than 5 miles away. But we only ever exchange pleasantries at family funerals which are becoming all too frequent now I'm almost 80.

Unfortunately we have to attend the funeral of my brother in law tomorrow.  He was a great person until struck down with dementia.

No one enjoys a funeral, but this one was different.  There was no religious mumbo jumbo, it was all about Harry. The man who conducted the ceremony had obviously spent quite a while with his daughter getting to know all about Harry.  He talked about his life and achievement's, especially his sporting ones.  He covered his other achievements, ambitions, love of his family and friends.  The coffin came in to Gen Millers recording of Moonlight serenade, and two more of his favourite tunes were played. It was a sad occasion, but very uplifting and once it was all over we felt satisfied that Harry would have been well pleased with the occasion.  I strongly recommend a Humanist funeral in preference to a religious one. I have told my kids about a memory stick on my computer desk with my wishes for a similar ceremony. The same for 'ER indoors. I am sure that we all felt a lot better after this funeral, than a religious one with all the usual platitudes.  Obviously others will have different views to mine, and I fully respect that, but I know which I prefer.

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to ya roots?   Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 10:09 am

sounds good to me andsome
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to ya roots?   Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 6:53 pm

I've done just as you have Andsome. It's all on a memory stick . Photos from childhood to recent as well.
All to the accompaniment of "Into the West" by Annie Lennox.

Last edited by Ciderman on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to ya roots?   Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 6:58 pm

'Er indoors wants Nat King Coles Stardust played when she pops off, and  Brian Coxs's article about how we all originate and will eventually end as stardust.

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to ya roots?   Goin back to ya roots? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Goin back to ya roots?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3