Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

Video killed the radio star Empty
PostSubject: Video killed the radio star   Video killed the radio star EmptyWed Nov 10, 2021 11:51 am

I've just found an old 1930's valve radio in the garage and it brought back some memories for me of my childhood listening to the radio with a mug of cocoa in my hand just before bedtime.
The Clitheroe kid, Educating Archie, The Billy Cotton Band-show, Journey into Space, The Goon Show and Two-way Family Favourites on a Sunday lunchtime and Radio Luxembourg and later...Radio Caroline.
What do you remember from those radio days ?
Back to top Go down
The Beast
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
The Beast

PostSubject: Re: Video killed the radio star   Video killed the radio star EmptyWed Nov 10, 2021 4:05 pm

Hi MM, being a few years younger than your goodself, I am able to recall listening to 'The Clitheroe kid' and 'Round the horn' in the mid to late 60's. From then on, it is mainly television programmes imbedded in my memory. 
Halcyon days.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Video killed the radio star   Video killed the radio star EmptyWed Nov 10, 2021 7:36 pm

I remember my mother having an old radio during and after the war (my dad was away in Burma) which ran off an acid accumulator. It became my job to carry the glass accumulator about 300 yards to a bicycle shop to get it re-charged. My earliest TV memories are Muffin the Mule and the interval films like the potters wheel and the tide ebbing or flowing plus of course, years later, the test card which arrived in the 60's when colour TV was launched.

We originally had a Marconi 9" but I was told the Queen had a Phillips 9".

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Video killed the radio star   Video killed the radio star EmptyThu Nov 11, 2021 12:05 pm

Most of the ones already mentioned along with:

Radio:
Take It From Here.
Children's Hour with Uncle Mac.
Listen With Mother.
Jennings and Darbyshire.
TV:
Bill and Ben.
Yogi Bear.
Champion The Wonder Horse.
Whirlybirds.
Cannonball.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Video killed the radio star   Video killed the radio star EmptyThu Nov 11, 2021 2:31 pm

My mother could rely on me being at home from 6:45 to 7:00 each week-day evening to listen to Dick Barton Special Agent.  I was sad when it stopped in 1951.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Video killed the radio star   Video killed the radio star EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 7:52 am

I think some lonely housewives left it running all day long heh. Yes I was an accumulator runner in my youth too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video killed the radio star   Video killed the radio star Empty

Back to top Go down

Video killed the radio star
Page 1 of 1