Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 4:30 pm

Microsoft is to release Windows 365, a cloud based-operating system. This means it will run as an App on an Android device (for instance). Like Office 365, it will be a subscription product. The new cloud-based service is said to be targeted at businesses at present but I expect anyone willing pay a subscription will be able to get it. Quite progression for Microsoft. Things move on.

More here...

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/windows-365-release-date-features-and-everything-else-you-need-to-know

Edit: Also described as a 'streaming' OS. I'm not sure of the differences between that and 'Cloud-based' but I think it amounts to the same thing. Nothing on the computer, it's all 'up there'.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 6:25 pm

I'm getting more confused all the while, I'm sure it's being done on purpose.
I want my computer to work for me, not to confuse me.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 8:35 pm

could be the new numbers for the beast - remember he will come bearing gifts =- but control all in his service??
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 9:56 pm

Microsoft 365 will take years to be successful - partly because such a high percentage of our population either cannot get or cannot afford high speed broadband. Running a business out in the sticks is a nightmare already. Just think how much worse it would be if your operating system was floating in the cloud

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 10:41 pm

exactly with the devil it would be a devil of a thing heh?
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 7:21 am

I think it won't be for everyone or even something we'll need to be considering. What we have now will last until 2025 ..and beyond the end of support too if previous Windows operating systems are anything to go by.

A lot of the country/World does have good broadband speed. Businesses and eventually home users may eventually decide to go that way. It could be less expensive than buying new computers. Might not need all the latest processing power to run an App that leads to the OS in the sky. No more keeping up with updates either because that would be taken care of in the cloud.

It could have its advantages and a userbase a few years down the line. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 9:15 am

stay around Mart we may need you help - I even need you to dicepher what you have just written!!
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 9:26 am

Its a bit like the move to a cashless society - the poor and old 'uns lacking smartphones, super fast broadband and computers will be stranded.

And how will addicts pay for their drugs without cash.  Drug dealers and addicts will be yet another large percentage of the population to suffer.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 10:13 am

No need to worry about this stuff yet Davo. Maybe we'll be up in the cloud too by the time this all becomes the norm. It's just news about what's going on in the tech world.

There is a problem with older people and smartphones. I know a few people that can't or don't want to use them. Where there's a will there's a way with drug dealers and addicts. They'll probably learn to use crypto currency on mobile devices, with transactions being untraceable.

It's only in the last couple of years that I've found real uses for my smartphone...

The Bus App proved useful before lockdown. It shows where bus stops are in different areas. Also, when you reach the bus stop, it tells me how far away the bus is and gives updates on how long it will take to arrive.

MapMyWalk (or ride) lets me know the distance walked or ridden.

WhatsApp for messaging and sending photos.

The NHS App for checking into places.

Most clever at the moment is the 'HEOS' App. This controls the Denon home theatre receiver I just bought. Open the App, select Radio 2 (for instance) and the Denon turns on, searches out Radio 2 (local FM radio) and starts it going. It would be lengthy to list all the things it does but it is very clever and useful.

The trouble is that the more Apps that get installed, the more reliant it makes me on my smartphone.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 11:18 am

I've only recently learned how to use my phone to buy things using Apple Pay, beats carrying cash around, though I usually have a tenner for a back up.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 11:51 am

Mart - your Bus App seems to be for Arriva, in the Midlands it is National Express which uses a different app. I expect people in other counties have an app for them.  Ours is very useful and reasonable accurate in predicting when the next bus is due at the stop you select.

There is a separate app for West Midland trams - its a pity they are not integrated with the buses.

I would not be surprised to learn that there is an app that integrates all modes of transport including buses, trams and trains - but I have not researched it because I have no need.

Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 12:21 pm

Not travelled on public transport for many years... never even used my bus pass !
We don't go very far from home so the car suits us best.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 1:41 pm

We haven't travelled on the bus since the lockdowns began but there's a bus stop on the main road about 150 yards away, so it was convenient. The route takes the bus straight into the hospital where parking isn't easy. We always used the bus fairly regularly for that because of Mrs Mart's frequent blood tests.

The best part is being able to turn there up without an appointment. Just go in, take a ticket and wait until your number is called. Been going to the doctors surgery for the tests since not using the bus. In the car and with an appointment. Not as easy as taking the bus to the hospital.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Hello Alan - The app I've got is called UK Bus Checker. It says it covers everywhere, although I've never put it to test outside of the local area.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fatattitude.buscheckeruklite&hl=en_GB&gl=US

The buses here are run by Stagecoach.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 5:46 pm

Mart - thanks for the info. The map opens up but local bus stops do not appear - yet they are shown for our local bus into town about 2 miles away. 

An error message appears saying "Sorry we are not able to show bus information for your location. The problem has been reported to our engineers"

I'm not in any hurry and I will open the App in a week or two to see whether it works then.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Windows 365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 365   Windows 365 Empty

Back to top Go down

Windows 365
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next