10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyWed Jul 12, 2017 10:15 am

Microsoft publish a page showing what's in the monthly round of OS updates. Not all updates/fixes affect everyone's usage but it's maybe good to see what takes all that time to download and install every month. The page linked to below shows the updates issued on July 11th.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4025342
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 4:56 pm

I just leave well alone, Windows then as far as I know just downloads automatically

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Windows 10 updates 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 5:15 pm

That's right andsome, the monthly updates do download and install automatically without user intervention ..unless the updates are checked for manually.

There are some who don't like automatic updates and take steps to prevent them installing. I'm not one of them though.

The Microsoft page is just for those interested in seeing what the updates are about. Some people want to know. Maybe not us here but heck! it creates a computer thread doesn't it? :)
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 8:12 am

Details of what's in the latest round of Windows 10 Updates:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4025342/windows-10-update-kb4025342
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 8:32 am

Mart wrote:
That's right andsome, the monthly updates do download and install automatically without user intervention ..unless the updates are checked for manually.

There are some who don't like automatic updates and take steps to prevent them installing. I'm not one of them though.

The Microsoft page is just for those interested in seeing what the updates are about. Some people want to know. Maybe not us here but heck! it creates a computer thread doesn't it? :)

When I complained about auto downloading and installation, Microsoft told me that this was mandatory.

Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 9:32 am

There are ways to stop automatic updates but I haven't tried them. A link to a reputable site below. Further down this 'How-To Geek' page, is a link to another page that describes how hide individual updates. Windows doesn't install updates that are hidden.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

On the other hand, I've never had updates cause any trouble with our W.10 computers (has anyone?). I let them go ahead as and when they become available on the basis that Microsoft wrote the operating system and are far more likely to know what's good for it than me.
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 10:18 am

I abandoned Mr Gates something like 10 years ago. Windows seemed to have become a yo-yo, with all its uploads and downloads.
I went to Ubuntu for a year or two and found that to be just to my liking, but abandoned it a few years ago when it seemed to be trying to copy Bill &Co. with unnecessary frippery and bovine excrement.
Since then I have been a happy user of Mint, and updates/upgrades seem to be as rare as hens teeth.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 10:59 am

Mart wrote:
There are ways to stop automatic updates but I haven't tried them. A link to a reputable site below. Further down this 'How-To Geek' page, is a link to another page that describes how hide individual updates. Windows doesn't install updates that are hidden.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

On the other hand, I've never had updates cause any trouble with our W.10 computers (has anyone?). I let them go ahead as and when they become available on the basis that Microsoft wrote the operating system and are far more likely to know what's good for it than me.

Thanks for the info, but it seems to be a lot of trouble. It should not be necessary, it was fine when we could select updates that mattered to us.  For example I do not need updates to Edge, Windows mail etc.  I don't like them and use third party programs.

Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 11:12 am

catgate wrote:
Since then I have been a happy user of Mint, and updates/upgrades seem to be as rare as hens teeth.

That's interesting. What version of Mint are you using? It's just that I installed Mint 18.2 a few weeks ago and updates seem to be coming for that almost daily. Do you have the 'Update Manager' icon showing at the bottom-right of the screen that lets you know when updates are available?
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 11:46 am

andsome wrote:
Thanks for the info, but it seems to be a lot of trouble. It should not be necessary, it was fine when we could select updates that mattered to us.  For example I do not need updates to Edge, Windows mail etc.  I don't like them and use third party programs.

Me too andsome. Most platforms come with parts/programs that some people aren't going to use. Although W.10 updates for these parts/programs may not not needed by an individual user, I think they would only take up about as much disk space as the original installation because code would be overwritten rather than added to. Oh well ..automatic cumulative updates is the way Microsoft has chosen to go and I suppose we either accept it or vote with our feet. This is something a home user has the option of doing.

Then again, no OS is perfect. There are plenty of complaints about other platforms to be found. There have also been many about previous versions of Windows as I remember. It's just a question of using the one that suits best or has the lowest level of annoyances. :)

Look into using Linux Mint perhaps? It's free and the latest version is running very well on my HP laptop computer. There are still updates but they don't install automatically.
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Mart wrote:
catgate wrote:

That's interesting. What version of Mint are you using? It's just that I installed Mint 18.2 a few weeks ago and updates seem to be coming for that almost daily. Do you have the 'Update Manager' icon showing at the bottom-right of the screen that lets you know when updates are available?

No. But that does not seem to stop them sending big updates, which are not frequent in my opinion (only 2 or 3  times a year)
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Here's a screenshot of an update to Mint 18.2 I got only today. The icon being pointed to told me it was available. It shows a tick mark when the system is up to date and shows an 'i' when there is an update to do. Without this icon showing, perhaps some updates are being missed?

Windows 10 updates TBSlOpn
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

At the bottom of my screen, in common with most systems, is an information bar, (just as pictured on your picture ). Immediately to the left of the time  is a shield shaped icon. If I place my "arrow" on it tells me "Your system is up to date" (or signifies otherwise if any updates are  up for grabs). This latter rarely occurs because I normally get a message telling that "updates are available now" but only when updates are available.

I find this paradise when compared to Bill's abomination that he has the gall to call "a system".
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Linux Mint does work well but I can accept and work with W.10 too. I think it's a good operating system personally. However, I might be coming to a decision not to write about it anymore (I know ...Hooray!). I'll just get on and quietly use our smoothly running W.10 computers. Why? ..because it seems as though trying to be helpful or give information about W.10 just brings about moans and displeasure from people. I don't want to be the cause of that anymore.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 8:19 pm

I am very happy with Windows 10 - it is on both our laptops and my desktop. I also have a Windows 10 Lumia phone but it is sitting in a drawer and has been replaced by a Samsung Android phone because my new car will only sync with Android or Apple. 

Mart - I don't think that people intend to moan and groan about our choice of Windows 10 but perhaps feel that they need to defend their choice of Linux. We are all entitled to chose whichever O.S suits us best and I for one would miss your Win10 contributions and advice.

I have tried Linux in the past but didn't invest enough time with it to feel comfortable. Over the years I have built a few computers for friends, neighbours and family - so they expect me to know more than I do about computers. I no longer build them - it is not now economically feasible because component prices are so high. I keep a Linux emergency boot disc in my locker which is useful to bring to life a computer that will not otherwise boot up. Our grandkids are regularly stuffing up their laptops with malware and other rubbish and bring it round to me to get it working.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Windows 10 updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates Empty

Back to top Go down

Windows 10 updates
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next