HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ozzie as she/he is spoken?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

Ozzie as she/he is spoken? Empty
PostSubject: Ozzie as she/he is spoken?   Ozzie as she/he is spoken? EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 7:02 pm

Without trying to write the entire history of the Australian nation, just a few observations to bring you uptodate with our vernacular, how she is spoken and spelled and that strong British tradition remaining?

Politics: We seem to have three bonafidi political parties whereas you seem to have wot two?
You have the Tory party often also called the Conservatives – hell bent on conserving wealth in offshore accounts maybe? We have a similar party called the Liberals – now how do you spell  liberal from  conservative don’t make sense?

We also have a National party – sounds plain enough heh – probably akin to your Liberal Democrats [where did they ever go to?] However because they seemed unable to survive as an independent national party [despite calling themselves the National party], they sided with the Conservative party and so sit on the same side of the parliamentary divide as the Conservatives, indeed having one of their members always appointed as the Deputy Premier [whoopee] such is politics the art of persuasion. And finally good old Labor party – which seems to be having a hard time in UK atm I hear? We are bearing slightly better this side of OK?

I hear that you also have some other national parties that kick up a stink from time to time; like the Scottish National Party; do the Welsh have a party? – yes I hear you say after every rugby match! And of course there is the national divides of Ireland – google tells me this : The Irish electoral system has been historically characterised as a two-and-a-half party system, with two large catch-all parties, this being the centre-right Fine Gael and the centrist Fianna Fáil, dominating, and the "half-party", being Labour.OMG perhaps I should leave that to a braver soul?

Oh did I mention that our Tories the Liberals are fiercely patriotic – well bi- patriotic – towards Oz of course but also towards staying linked with Mrs Queenie – yes your old lady in the Castle! Whilst our Labor party want total independence from the British monarchy? – legally we are still not independent from the binds of the old country.

So there ya have it Liberals/nationals = Tories/Conservatives  - Labor = Labor [lets keep it simple] and Nationals /[tag on Liberals] = Liberal Democrats.
And we thought Covid was complicated ? – don’t stand a chance heh?

Oh I forgot to mention the Governor of Oz too – only answerable to the Queen – yes yours we’ve got too many!  - [well yea canny run a country without a governor ken yea]
Nv: next week I’ll try to tackle the yanks – starting with soccer or as they call it football!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Ozzie as she/he is spoken?   Ozzie as she/he is spoken? EmptySat Jun 05, 2021 9:57 am

Thanks for your analysis of the political set up of our two nations. I wish I could take the same degree of interest in political situations as yourself but I find I can't. Nonetheless, I just would like you to know the post has been read thoroughly and found interesting. Thanks again.

I take a pretty laid back view of politics. I think due to life's experiences. What difference has any ruling party made to my life? No noticeable difference no matter who wins elections. If any differences have been made, I've somehow just adapted to them and carried on. I've had health care no matter what the party is and there has been roads to travel on, houses to live in, food and clothing to buy in the shops etc.

Despite political ups and downs of governments, life has always been fairly liveable. When the mortgage rate went up to 15% years back, I just managed somehow. Probably mended an extra TV or two and Mrs mart probably did a few more haircuts. When realising nothing political made much difference to life's basics, I just kept calm and carried on.

I take a bit of interest in politics only when voting time comes along. Not very much will change no matter who gets in but I feel I should do my bit. Promises are all very easy to make by an opposition party but I think they all find the same. They can't be carried out for one reason or another once they become the ruling party. Life goes on much the same.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Ozzie as she/he is spoken?   Ozzie as she/he is spoken? EmptySat Jun 05, 2021 10:12 am

Agreed very much!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ozzie as she/he is spoken?   Ozzie as she/he is spoken? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1