HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

London based firm saves Ozzie town!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

London based firm saves Ozzie town! Empty
PostSubject: London based firm saves Ozzie town!   London based firm saves Ozzie town! EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 6:00 am

The UK owned steel conglomerate Liberty House has won a bid to buy Whyalla steel works in the town of Whyalla. This has re-generated the town and its future.
It was founded as Hummock's Hill in 1901 by the Broken Hill Proprietary Company (BHP) as the end of a tramway bringing iron ore from Iron Knob in the Middleback Range to sea. Its first shipment was transported across Spencer Gulf to Port Pirie where it was used in lead smelters as a flux. A jetty was built to transfer the ore and the first shipment was sent in 1903. The early settlement consisted of small cottages and tents clustered around the base of the hill. The Post Office opened in 1901 as Hummock's Hill and was renamed Whyalla on 1 November 1919.

thank you UK!! thumb
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: London based firm saves Ozzie town!   London based firm saves Ozzie town! EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 7:02 am

You are welcome !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: London based firm saves Ozzie town!   London based firm saves Ozzie town! EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Never let it be said that the UK does not look after her Colonial outposts.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: London based firm saves Ozzie town!   London based firm saves Ozzie town! EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 1:44 pm

I've just raised my flag on my colonial outpost!! hat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: London based firm saves Ozzie town!   London based firm saves Ozzie town! Empty

Back to top Go down

London based firm saves Ozzie town!
Page 1 of 1