Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator

AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AVG Anti Virus Software   AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 5:04 pm

The problem is more about my w8 laptop not recognising me as administrator I think.
The folders I want from W10 are showing up in the 'network' on W8 but when I click on them a pop up tells me that I am not authorized to view the files within and tells me to contact the 'network administrator' for permission.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: AVG Anti Virus Software   AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 5:59 pm

What does it say when right-clicking on a W.10 folder under the 'Share' tab in Properties?
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: AVG Anti Virus Software   AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2021 7:49 am

It says that the folder is shared !
I have managed to invent a workaround by copying and pasting individual files in the 'Public' folder which I am allowed access to.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: AVG Anti Virus Software   AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2021 11:05 am

If it says shared I can't think of anything else to try apart from maybe using the network trouble-shooter (already tried?). Being able to use the 'Public' folder is at least something though.

The drives on my computers are shared but half the time I forget they are and still end up transferring files using a USB stick.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: AVG Anti Virus Software   AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2021 11:26 am

Yes it's a tricky one this...there used to be a windows prog called 'Homegroup' where you could share files between your networked machines but Windows 10 dropped it....it is still there on my W8 laptop but no longer on my W10.... I'm wondering if that may be interfering and stopping me accessing the files and folders from W10.
I know I am heartily tired of trying to solve the problem.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: AVG Anti Virus Software   AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2021 8:39 pm

Hard to keep trying when a problem goes on for a long time. Maybe give it 15 minutes every now and then when you haven't got much else to do. One of those periods of time could finally bring a result.

The computers basically work OK and that's a plus. yes
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: AVG Anti Virus Software   AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 5:43 am

In your circumstances where the problem is driving you crazy, I would upgrade the Win 8 laptop to Windows 10 if the machine meets to Ram and storage requirements so both machines are singing off the same page.

How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free | TechRadar  (I have not ever had the need to try this - so cannot confirm it works)

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: AVG Anti Virus Software   AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 10:22 am

I tried to upgrade to w10 when it was first released, but it stalled half way through and froze my machine and I had quite a job to recover it.....I won't try again !
It's handy though because I have some older picture editing programs that won't run on W10 so I can use them on my older W8 machine.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: AVG Anti Virus Software   AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 12:13 pm

AlanHo wrote:
How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free | TechRadar  (I have not ever had the need to try this - so cannot confirm it works)

It's not for sure the unofficial free upgrade is still going but I think it's still available. Just hypothetical since Malcolm doesn't want to upgrade but a clean installation of W.10 with a W.8 key could work (since the upgrade method stalled).

I did an in-place upgrade on a second-hand HP laptop I bought. It successfully upgraded and activated. This was as a very long time after the free upgrade period had expired too.

In the end, I did a clean installation on that computer using the Media Creation Tool as a way of getting rid of all sorts of unwanted software and junk. The installation went well and was activated. No key necessary because the computer had registered on the MS servers from the first installation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AVG Anti Virus Software   AVG Anti Virus Software - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

AVG Anti Virus Software
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2