2 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Van Alan Empty
PostSubject: Van Alan   Van Alan EmptySat Oct 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Copy of an Email I have sent to friends and family.

When I met my wife Libby in 2008 she was living in an apartment having returned 2 years before from living in Spain. She loves the countryside and gardening – so she had bought a large static caravan on a site nestled in the Wyre Forest near Bewdley. The van was tucked into a picturesque site under a canopy of trees and alongside a small river/large stream with a landscaped garden about half as big as a tennis court between the van and the river for her to potter in. It was her dream bolt hole away from suburbia.

We used to go there regularly – she loved it – I managed to hide the fact that I didn’t. It wasn’t leisure, it was hard work keeping the van exterior clean because of its position under trees. The garden was very fertile and weeds grew at a prodigious rate with Japanese Knotweed as the river bank decoration, which was a constant unwinnable battle. It always seemed to rain when we were there and the resonant drum of rain on the van roof kept me awake – plus the hooting of owls, rutting of deer, screaming of foxes and other bloody noises in the night. For me it was a nightmare and I used to return home for a rest and proper sleep.

After we were married and moved house, she had our house and garden to look after, so visits to the van tailed off and I persuaded her that the static van was no longer needed and she reluctantly sold it.

About two years ago, the gypsy in her soul woke up again. She started off by subtle hints from time to time about the joys of having a countryside retreat. The subtlety steadily became less subtle and increased in frequency and intensity. Subtle hints turned into polite requests which slowly escalated into demands. Quite a few times recently she has threatened “if we don’t buy one together – I’ll get one of my own” etc. My resolve cracked under the pressure and I realised that I was not going to get away with it for much longer.

However – some acquaintance’s of mine have a medium sized motor home which enables them to drive off on a whim and visit all sorts of interesting places. This seems to be a far better solution than a van stuck on one site with a garden to tend, so I have done some research and found the ideal vehicle.

It is to be her Christmas present – I take delivery of it at the end of November after the dealer has made the few alterations I requested. I am going to park it up on a caravan club site not too far away from home and take her there a couple of days later as a surprise.  I can’t wait to see the smile on her little face and hear the scream of joy when she sees it. We can spend a few days there before she drives it back and I will return in the car. We can then sell the car and use the motorhome for transport.

I am too modest to admit that it is a brilliant plan – I am sure you have already reached that conclusion.

I will let you know how it goes

I attach a photo of the motor home which I was a bargain price because dealers are desperate for sales at this time of the year.

Click to see picture:

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Van Alan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Alan   Van Alan EmptySat Oct 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Nice story Alan.....I almost believed it until you said you would be selling your new pride and joy car
Back to top Go down
https://murgatroyds.forumotion.net

Van Alan
Page 1 of 1