Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Linux Mint 18.2 Empty
PostSubject: Linux Mint 18.2   Linux Mint 18.2 EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 10:49 am

Anyone fed up with Microsoft products could find a good alternative in Linux Mint 18.2. Mint sets out to be friendly to Windows users and I think each release seems to get better at that than the last. The system recognised and installed my wireless HP printer/scanner with hardly any input from me. Skype downloads and installs without issues straight from the Repository (a place where tested/approved Linux software is stored).

Using the 'Terminal' is something that has put Windows users off using Linux ..including me. The Terminal in Linux is where code is typed (or copy/pasted from Linux forums) in order to get some programs to work. However, over a time Linux Mint has largely overcome the necessity to use the Terminal. With this version, I haven't needed to use it at all.

Linux Mint comes with a whole lot of software pre-installed so that it more or less works straight after installation. Software included is:

* LibreOffice (compatible with files created by MS Office).
* Gimp image editor (other simpler editors are available).
* Firefox (Chromium can be installed too).
* Thunderbird e-mail.
* Media Players.

So far, Linux doesn't cater for all software requirements but this is partly to do with the manufacturers. For instance, SatNav products may be supported by software downloadable from the manufacturer's sites but it isn't going to be as easy to install it, nor as comprehensive in functions. There might be other examples where this could be the case but quite a few manufacturers are now realising the demand for Linux compatible software and are starting to make it available.

All in all, for most purposes, Linux Mint 18.2 can indeed make very good alternative to MS Windows.
Back to top Go down

Linux Mint 18.2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Mint 18.2   Linux Mint 18.2 EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Iv'e tried several flavours on Linux over the years Mart and found I could never get on with them. It's possible I haven't tried hard enough with them.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Linux Mint 18.2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Mint 18.2   Linux Mint 18.2 EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm the same Gandalph. I think some Linux users like the technical nature of the OS and enjoy using the Terminal to get things done.

However, as time has gone by, some distros (as they are called) have gone more for ease of use than others and I think Linux Mint is one of them. I'm a bit enthused over the 18.2 release because it's the first one where I haven't had to touch the Terminal in order to get everything working that I want to use.

I think it true to say that some Linux programs perhaps aren't as 'polished' as the equivalents for Mac and Windows but even that is changing now. I've spent good money on some Windows programs that will no doubt keep me coming back to W.10 to use them. If I hadn't though, I'm pretty sure I could work perfectly well with the programs written for Linux.
Back to top Go down

Linux Mint 18.2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Mint 18.2   Linux Mint 18.2 EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 3:42 pm

I'll take a look at 18.2 release at some stage Mart. These day's I am macOS in the main. The only reason I keep a Windows laptop is in case this Mac has to goes down. Having said that I have had macs for years now and never suffered any mishaps, perhaps my "Famous last words".
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Linux Mint 18.2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Mint 18.2   Linux Mint 18.2 EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Yes, it's the kiss of death to say things like that. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Linux Mint 18.2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Mint 18.2   Linux Mint 18.2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Linux Mint 18.2
Page 1 of 1