6 posters
AuthorMessage
meerkat12
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
meerkat12

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptyWed May 03, 2017 9:38 am

What do you think about having the street lights turned off at midnight.
That is what our council is doing 
A lot of residents are against this and a petition has been set up, done to save money but we don't get a rebate in our council tax.
And they have just had a big rise
I think it's a dangerous move in all aspects.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptyWed May 03, 2017 10:45 am

Hope you do not mind me answering this one Meerkat.

I would imagine there will be more burglaries and car thefts.

What about the people who work shifts and have to try to get in their homes when it is pitch black.

I wish they would look more into councillors expense claims before they come up with yet more daft ideas.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptyWed May 03, 2017 12:18 pm

In the Winter it is awful, I like to check my wheels before I drive off and have to do it with a torch. 
It would not be so bad if they left every other lamp on, or the ones at road junctions, but whole streets in our town are in total darkness.
Back to top Go down
meerkat12
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
meerkat12

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptyWed May 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Goldie wrote:

What about the people who work shifts and have to try to get in their homes when it is pitch black.

I wish they would look more into councillors expense claims before they come up with yet more daft ideas.
Don't mind you answering Goldie that's what it is for,I was curious to see what you all thought.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptyWed May 03, 2017 4:28 pm

meerkat12 wrote:
Goldie wrote:

Don't mind you answering Goldie that's what it is for,I was curious to see what you all now but our council were doing the same just before we left in 2014. It was a nightmare, pitch black. We managed to get a successful petition though and I believe the lights are still on  :;smile:
Hi just before we left the UK in 2014 our council tried the exact same thing. We managed a successful petition though and the lights are still on to this day  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
ourjimmy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
ourjimmy

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptyWed May 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Opposite in my road---24 houses in a square  lighting on mid afternoon lighting off mid evening. groan

-----------------------------------------
Street lighting 1695888395
A  Decent Sort Of Chap
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptyFri May 05, 2017 8:11 am

I had to drive last night and noticed that the lights had been turned out on some road junctions and roundabouts. Extra care was needed because of that. Perhaps not everyone will be so careful and accidents will happen.

Not a good thing that the lights are turned off but I constantly read/hear that cuts need to be made. Street lighting looks to be an area where they reckon it can be done. If we successfully petitioned for the lights to be left on, where else might the savings be made? Somewhere else no doubt.

Our Son reckons that many services are better in Germany but to get this, they have to pay far more in taxes than we do. If we paid more, then perhaps these cuts wouldn't be necessary but I can't see this happening here.

Oh well ..think of the world energy being saved eh?
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptyFri May 05, 2017 11:35 am

They could save an awful lot of money by cutting the wages of Council Executives. I can't find the article now but the wages for some of them are ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
meerkat12
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
meerkat12

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptyFri May 05, 2017 10:26 pm

I think they could save by not having unessasary baskets of flowers on lamposts etc and men going around in a truck watering them all.
Lovely to have these things but not important if we are worrying about money.
Loads of xmas lights all over the place,and the thing is we pay for the lighting, no rebate though !
Before I retired I was employed as a carer for the elderly, I get a very small pension of £49 a Month
I had no rise last year..     this year I got 50p a month extra, makes you laugh doesn't it.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptySat May 06, 2017 12:57 am

I agree, but what annoys me is there seems to be plenty of money about but they insist that there isn't. 
We are being conned big time, they only show us the figures they want us to see.
We are all in this together, you know, but some of us are further in it than others.
Back to top Go down
YANWOL
Ex-member
Ex-member

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting EmptySat May 06, 2017 3:29 pm

The whole idea is utter madness. Either that, or there's some kind of sinister plot ....

They started turning ours off a couple of months ago but I believe a decision has been made to put them back on. So many people complained.

I heard that if/when they change back, they will not be able to alter their minds for 5 years ...

Fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Street lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Street lighting   Street lighting Empty

Back to top Go down

Street lighting
Page 1 of 1