HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Goldie
Goldie

Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  Empty
PostSubject: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 12:54 pm

What a waste of public money in my view. 

I feel children need to be in school during term time 

Although do agree holiday companies do take the biscuit by hiking prices during school holidays.

He would have been better off pursuing them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-39504338
Back to top Go down
Pumicestone
Pumicestone

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 3:02 pm

In two minds about this one.

Sure, regular attendance is essential - in the best interest of the child and the school.
And parents should face consequences if their offspring are often absent without good reason.

However, it is surely true that not all learning occurs in a classroom and that kids could gain much from a brief 'holiday' - a week or two - if their attendance record is otherwise excellent.
Quite apart from costs, family circumstances, perhaps the father's employment, might well dictate just when he can get away.

There just seems to be a whiff of 'nanny-state' in this decision.
Apparently, he had complied with previous legal precedent but, in this instance, the higher court moved the goal posts ?
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 4:32 pm

" I feel children need to be in school during term time. " 

That is a very sound belief. It will do them no good at all being there in the holidays between terms, Because you see no one else will be there...not even a teacher.

There is another matter that should be thought more about, and it is one that never seems to be addressed, and that is that the parents should not be allowed to have children if they can not look after their child's every whim and need.
Back to top Go down
Pumicestone
Pumicestone

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 5:08 pm

"not be allowed" ?   How would you suggest stopping them ?

Not sure anyone was suggesting that they should turn up to an empty school between terms - just that they miss a week or two - perhaps learning more by that experience.

And I'm bloody sure I did not look after any of my four sons' "every whim".
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 5:49 pm

A lot of parents were taking advantage Pum, that is why the law was introduced.  Plus the holiday companies hike up prices during the summer holidays.
Back to top Go down
ourjimmy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
ourjimmy

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 6:33 pm

The same law should also apply to teachers who are having holidays in school time.

-----------------------------------------
Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  1695888395
A  Decent Sort Of Chap
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 7:37 pm

My friend was a head teacher. Now retired.

We had many a discussion regarding school holidays. I could be wrong Jim but I think they are not permitted to take time off out of term time.

In Spain the kids terms are shorter and they are expected to go to day school during the summer break. Most seem to do that, a lot do English classes.

sun
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 9:55 pm

I remember my kids climbing up chimney stacks in their breaks and loving it - soot everwhere - sootier than sooty!

I good sick note from a caring doc always helps!
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 10:07 pm

"My friend was a head teacher."

Isn't it odd? One never hears about bottom teachers. In fact it is queer.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 10:12 pm

was  he queer??
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 pm

""My friend was a head teacher."...was Goldie's line.   I suppose I should have given her credit for it.

I was at grammar school in Bradford in the later 40's and one of our "Senior" masters was alleged to be "one of them".
He was a chubby chap, about 5ft 10ins. tall and had a cherubic bloated head with a centre parting to a head of black hair that was always held in place  with copious use of Briliantine  or some such. He wore a large pair of strong  spectacles, He was the "Chief Scout"of the schools troop.
He always had a white handkerchief hanging out of the left sleeve of the jacket of his expensive black three piece suit.
He also wore a black gown which always looked to have just been ironed. The majority of the masters wore old black gowns but they did not look as though they were "modelling" all the time.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 10:52 pm

Eh but she was in Wooton Basset. 

What's wrong with that.

I just thought they had too long a break. That was my point  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyFri Apr 07, 2017 2:06 am

that's wot the vicars daughter said to the sailor "heh you've had too long of a break!!"
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  EmptyFri Apr 07, 2017 8:05 am

davo wrote:
that's wot the vicars daughter said to the sailor "heh you've had too long of a break!!"
thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle    Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle  Empty

Back to top Go down

Term Time Dad Loses Court Battle
Page 1 of 1