HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Family History...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Family History...   Family History... EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 5:48 pm

What did your grandfather/s do for a living?
My maternal grandfather was a coal miner and in his spare time he was the village Chimney Sweep.

I didn't know my other one..
Back to top Go down

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family History...   Family History... EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 6:59 pm

both my grandfathers were miners and my great grandfathers and my father.
Back to top Go down

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family History...   Family History... EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 5:44 am

on my fathers side grandfather was a male nurse in a mental hospital
on mothers side he was in the army
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family History...   Family History... EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 7:54 am

Paternal granddad was a London cop as was my dad before he joined the RN.
Maternal granddad had a business in Stepney involving about 50 cows supplying milk to the locals.

-----------------------------------------
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family History...   Family History... EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 9:52 am

Never knew 'em ... both my parents were orphans, and I was orphaned at fifteen, must run in the family yes
Back to top Go down
sags
Ex-member
Ex-member
sags

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family History...   Family History... EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 2:24 pm

One of my granddad's was in the army from 1890 - 1901. A bit of stern looking chap.
He died on Bonfire Night before my father was born. No, his first name was not Guy.

On the other side ... my granddad had a different surname to his daughter, my mum. This was the mysterious side of the family who I got stuck for years trying to trace. Three different surnames later and a detour around the country I found ... my great-grandfather had a criminal conviction, who might have been a bigamist, as my great-grandmother had six criminal convictions and was usually in residence in a nick somewhere. Last seen in 1881 in jail .. and then she vanished.
Oh .. and on the 1861 Census Return for my great-granddad (age 16) it had got 'imbecile' written in the end column.

Shocked After all these years I think I discovered why that side of the family was never ever talked about. Even by my own mum.

Back to top Go down

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family History...   Family History... EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 4:33 pm

My maternal grandfather was the medical support for a factory..he had a small surgery in the factory. My paternal grandfather ran a dairy in Buckinghamshire but HIS father had a dairy herd in Derbyshire.
My paternal grandmother, ran a pub!!!
Back to top Go down

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family History...   Family History... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 4:07 pm

My maternal granddad was in the Army, eventually moving on to be a cook, and carried that through after the war to many places, finally 15 years before his retirement he was a chef in a hospital.
My paternal granddad sadly died not long after the war.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family History...   Family History... EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 6:09 pm

Paternal grad father was a master jeweller, I am still wearing a ring that he made for my father, who unfortunately died before I was three.

Maternal grandfather was a tram driver. Laughing

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Family History... 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
meerkat12
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
meerkat12

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family History...   Family History... EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Never new my grandparents they had all died when I was small,
And family never said anything about them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Family History... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family History...   Family History... Empty

Back to top Go down

Family History...
Page 1 of 1