HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Life before the internet - wot did I do!!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

Life before the internet - wot did I do!! Empty
PostSubject: Life before the internet - wot did I do!!   Life before the internet - wot did I do!! EmptyWed Apr 07, 2021 10:56 am

Today I can sit in my man cave switch on my pc and theoretically talk to hundreds of people nay thousands around the world - some of them won't respond! But what and how did I communicate with others before all of this was available?

Well originally I had of course a wireless and later a TV so if I wanted some peace and quiet early in the day just didn't switch them on. But they did become addictive and it was no problem to switch either on when I wanted and then could hear about life all over the globe as well as my own backyard. 

I often with cup in hand would open the rear door and listen to the early morning chorus of birds; quite enchanting and from the front door could see neighbors doing the same thing and send them an email [verbally] and instantly with my vocal chords. Early morning workers passing by would often chirp a good morning and some had time to stop and have a quick yarn. It was enriching because I was in the world NOT just looking into it and I was making instant human connections - important socially and psychologically.

I would often trot around the neighborhood with hound dog on the leash getting some good fresh air and exercise and again communicating with however was available! Whether I was working in an employed position or not my day would be taken up with regular communications with other humans - often enriching and giving the spinal column a massage - great stuff.

And so the day continued and evenings where first a daily catch up with family members and plenty of stories to hear there and then either a radio show; TV show ; reading or perhaps hobbies and no need for anything like a computer and instant access to the rest of the world

In fact when I switch on early morning news on TV across the globe my mind is saturated with many bad news stories a few good ones and constant chatter chatter chatter.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Life before the internet - wot did I do!!   Life before the internet - wot did I do!! EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 11:56 am

This is such an interesting post and surprising to see that no-one responded. 

From personal experience - this repllcates an unfortunate occurrence on many forums and often a sad precusor to its demise

I guess most people join a forum to communicate with others in admittedly virtual reality. You read their news, opinions, stories and humour as an extension of your own real life affairs. People need to  respond to posts because it gives the poster satisfaction that their effort was worthwhile and either appreciated (or not - if opinions differ) and thus encourage more posts. 

I know all too well from personal experience that if I get no response to my posts on forums , sooner or later I will consider it's a waste of my time and I too stop posting. Thus adding to the downward spiral of the forum

Now to answer the meat of your post.

I lived and worked in the Middle East and America for 13 years when the internet was in its infancy and Emails were science fiction. There were two ways to keep in touch with friends and family back in the UK - air mail or phone, both being very expensive. In those days I had free accommodation and utilities, expense allowances, high salary and no tax - hence the cost of communications with the UK contacts was inconsequential. For a year or two I got plenty of calls, mail and greetings cards - but it gradually faded and communicating became almost one way traffic. It was insidious and without really noticing I started to do the same until a flood became a trickle with just a very few people making the effort. Bottom line - I had far fewer friends when I returned to the UK than when I went abroad.

That's what happens to forums.

Rant over - i'll get me coat.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Life before the internet - wot did I do!!   Life before the internet - wot did I do!! EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 2:47 pm

I Think you have made your point Alan - thanks for massaging my spinal cord -anyone else wanna have a go ???? -thought not!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Life before the internet - wot did I do!!   Life before the internet - wot did I do!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Life before the internet - wot did I do!!
Page 1 of 1