+2
andsome
Goldie
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Goldie

Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Back to cats a very interesting article by the RSPB

Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 1040774_tcm9-289520
Image: Ray Kennedy

Estimates of how many creatures are killed by cats each year vary significantly.
The most recent figures are from the Mammal Society, which estimates that the UK's cats catch up to 275 million prey items a year, of which 55 million are birds. This is the number of prey items that were known to have been caught; we don't know how many more the cats caught, but didn't bring home, or how many escaped but subsequently died.
The most frequently caught birds, according to the Mammal Society, are probably (in order) house sparrows, blue tits, blackbirds and starlings.

No evidence

Despite the large numbers of birds killed, there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide. This may be surprising, but many millions of birds die naturally every year, mainly through starvation, disease, or other forms of predation. There is evidence that cats tend to take weak or sickly birds.
It is likely that most of the birds killed by cats would have died anyway from other causes before the next breeding season
We also know that of the millions of baby birds hatched each year, most will die before they reach breeding age. This is also quite natural, and each pair needs only to rear two young that survive to breeding age to replace themselves and maintain the population.
It is likely that most of the birds killed by cats would have died anyway from other causes before the next breeding season, so cats are unlikely to have a major impact on populations. If their predation was additional to these other causes of mortality, this might have a serious impact on bird populations.
Those bird species that have undergone the most serious population declines in the UK (such as skylarks, tree sparrows and corn buntings) rarely encounter cats, so cats cannot be causing their declines. Research shows that these declines are usually caused by habitat change or loss, particularly on farmland.

Gardens: important habitat

Populations of species that are most abundant in gardens tend to be increasing, despite the presence of cats. Blue tits, for example, the second most frequently caught birds, have increased by over a quarter across the UK since 1966. Of the birds most frequently caught by cats in gardens, only two (house sparrow and starling) have shown declines in breeding population across a range of habitats during the last six years.
Gardens may provide a breeding habitat for at least 20% of the UK populations of house sparrows, starlings, greenfinches, blackbirds and song thrushes four of which are declining across the UK. For this reason it would be prudent to try to reduce cat predation, as, although it is not causing the declines, some of these species are already under pressure.
Cat predation can be a problem where housing is next to scarce habitats such as heathland, and could potentially be most damaging to species with a restricted range (such as cirl buntings) or species dependent on a fragmented habitat (such as Dartford warblers on heathland).
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 4:55 pm

so what does that tell us FGS?
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 5:02 pm

I think the best way to solve this problem is to just deal with the Tom Cats. Make it law that they should all be castrated at birth (or maybe the day after). Eventually the problem will cease.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 5:45 pm

davo wrote:
so what does that tell us FGS?
That poor little paddy cat has a halo sun
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 5:50 pm

catgate wrote:
I think the best way to solve this problem is to just deal with the Tom Cats. Make it law that they should all be castrated at birth (or maybe the day after). Eventually the problem will cease.
They should be at 9 weeks anyway. What about people who like cats you may as well do the same  to dogs or any domestic pet. If they run wild and over populate an area then obviously things need to be addressed. It seems some are talking pets and ferral.

We have a sterilisation programme that is works,  here that includes dogs
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Goldie wrote:
catgate wrote:
They should be at 9 weeks anyway. What about people who like cats you may as well do the same  to dogs or any domestic pet. If they run wild and over populate an area then obviously things need to be addressed. It seems some are talking pets and ferral.

I feel we should adopt my scheme and include in it politicians.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 10:14 pm

catgate wrote:
Goldie wrote:
catgate wrote:

Now I know you are jesting youb dafty  drum
Back to top Go down
Pumicestone
Pumicestone

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 4:58 pm

Some pretty "iffy" statistics (and conclusions) in all that, Goldie.
For all we know, the real slaughter could be ten times that amount.

Understandably, given the source, it is worth noting that they focus only on birds and totally ignore the absolute minimum of 220 million other creatures tortured and killed.
It seems too that they acknowledge only the carnage caused by domestic cats - not strays and ferals which, going unfed, must kill to survive.

Frankly, I concede that your average well cared-for house cat probably does comparatively little damage.
It is all those strays and ferals and "roamers" - and all their many  progeny - which I believe should be destroyed on sight.

Whether they impact dramatically on overall bird populations, to me is almost irrelevant.
I care for the hundreds of millions of creatures which suffer unnecessarily whether the species as a whole is at risk or not.  

As you agreed earlier, the situation appears far more drastic in Aus.
Here, they have rendered several species totally extinct - gone forever.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 5:50 pm

I agree about ferrals  Pum and good neutering policies have found to work as here in Lanzarote. It is expected to be no stray cats within 2 years. All male domestic cats must be neutered. House cats with strict guidelines will only be allowed.  As it happens the Canarians tend not to like cats. It's the ex pats that are the problem. We brought out cat from the UK and he was monitored. I never have agreed that cats should be left to wander. 

I do understand it has got out of hand in Australia and sympathise.
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 10:32 pm

catgate wrote:Goldie wrote:catgate wrote:I think the best way to solve this problem is to just deal with the Tom Cats. Make it law that they should all be castrated at birth (or maybe the day after). Eventually the problem will cease.They should be at 9 weeks anyway. What about people who like cats you may as well do the same  to dogs or any domestic pet. If they run wild and over populate an area then obviously things need to be addressed. It seems some are talking pets and ferral.

I see that the last line of my suggested action has been ignored. Something should be done before the world is over run  with parasites.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 10:43 pm

catgate wrote:
catgate wrote:Goldie wrote:catgate wrote:I think the best way to solve this problem is to just deal with the Tom Cats. Make it law that they should all be castrated at birth (or maybe the day after). Eventually the problem will cease.They should be at 9 weeks anyway. What about people who like cats you may as well do the same  to dogs or any domestic pet. If they run wild and over populate an area then obviously things need to be addressed. It seems some are talking pets and ferral.

I see that the last line of my suggested action has been ignored. Something should be done before the world is over run  with parasites.
Bit extreme catgate. Animals have always lived with man.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Goldie wrote:
catgate wrote:
"......and kill thousands of wild animals and birds."

I think that is not particularly important.

The most important thing is just that they are cats.
The article is about Tigers though. You Tinkers trying to bring in the domestic variety.  whistle

your header doesn't specify the size of the cat!! cool
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 3:57 pm

davo wrote:
Goldie wrote:
catgate wrote:
"......and kill thousands of wild animals and birds."

I think that is not particularly important.

The most important thing is just that they are cats.
The article is about Tigers though. You Tinkers trying to bring in the domestic variety.  whistle

your header doesn't specify the size of the cat!! cool
It's about Tigers Dav, somehow we got on to puddie cats   murgs dance I was teasing Pum
Back to top Go down
Pumicestone
Pumicestone

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Quote :
Quote :
It's about Tigers Dav, somehow we got on to puddie cats   murgs dance I was teasing Pum

Scroll back, dear. 

YOU started the digression - 
and then exacerbated it with that lengthy screed from the 'RSPB' (Really Stupid Pet Babblers ?).

drum
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 12:04 am

yes she's definitely a digressor and an exacerbator 🐱
Back to top Go down
Pumicestone
Pumicestone

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 12:53 am

Should be transported to Australia - plus 600 lashes with the cat o' nine tails .....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy   Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Archipelago of Killer Cats - One For Pummy
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next