5 posters
AuthorMessage
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Using Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Using Quotes   Using Quotes EmptyFri Jun 25, 2021 2:21 pm

I have just had a "light bulb" moment happen.

For years I have been struggling with quotes on all forums, not just here. I have always hit the "quote" icon first and then pasted between the brackets, not easy to get the cursor in the right place. Only just found out that it is a lot easier to highlight the text and then use the "quote" button!

Am I the only one that did not realise this?

You can also use the same procedure to change text size.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Using Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Quotes   Using Quotes EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 11:07 am

Purwell wrote:
I have just had a "light bulb" moment happen.

For years I have been struggling with quotes on all forums, not just here. I have always hit the "quote" icon first and then pasted between the brackets, not easy to get the cursor in the right place. Only just found out that it is a lot easier to highlight the text and then use the "quote" button!

Am I the only one that did not realise this?

You can also use the same procedure to change text size.

When posting a response to a members post - I hit the Quote button and the reply window opens with the members post either highlighted as in this forum - or between quote markers as seen on other forums.

I then type my reply under the quoted text (You can also delete any unnecessary text in the highlighted quote)

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Using Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Quotes   Using Quotes EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 8:57 am

I use the 'Quote' button for quoting a member's post but did know that font size, quote and other tags (bold - italic for instance) can be placed around other text by highlighting the text and clicking the appropriate button in the postbox toolbar.

Another option I use when composing a reply is to switch to plain text using the 'Switch Editor Mode' button. I find it's easier to take out any unwanted multi-quotes, then see what the post will look like using the Preview button.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Using Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Quotes   Using Quotes EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 6:50 pm

Useful reminders Mart.

I am quite familiar with BB code but find that this forum does not allow all the standard BB code options.. On my motoring forum for example I can insert a picture and place the text around or to one side of it easily, create tables and columns etc.

It's no big deal though - for this type of forum such bells and whistles would have very rare use.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

Using Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Quotes   Using Quotes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 12:24 am

I just suck me thumb most of the time - I call it my boring tit time - is this this the joke thread??
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Using Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Quotes   Using Quotes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 9:08 am

Posts in computer forums tend to be all about the workings of computers and/or some aspect of the Internet Davo. That's what the section is here for. If you aren't into that kind of thing, topics will be found boring. I can't see a punchline there myself but if it looks like a joke, I suppose that's OK too.

Just occasionally, people who have taken time to look into how computers and the Internet work might come in useful for people like yourself when problems arise. Then the tits who know a little about these matters could become a bit less boring.

I know it's hard to avoid bits of a forum but you could try skipping the computer section, just like I do when I see the name of Boris come up in one of your threads.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

Using Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Quotes   Using Quotes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 10:45 am

Excellent reply Mart... totally agree, I read and enjoy all your posts in this section, your have helped me on many occasions
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Using Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Quotes   Using Quotes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 11:39 am

Well, if I can help somebody.. yes Can't always but I have a go. Alan looks to be a bit knowledgeable on computer/Internet matters too.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Using Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Quotes   Using Quotes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 2:50 pm

There are so many variations on a theme for all software that nobody knows it all and as in my OP, I often find that I have been doing it wrong for years.
It is only through bouncing ideas and knowledge off each other that we learn the most efficient use of our machines.
I am always grateful for any little tips and hints to be passed on to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Using Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Quotes   Using Quotes Empty

Back to top Go down

Using Quotes
Page 1 of 1