I pads

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

I pads Empty
PostSubject: I pads   I pads EmptyWed Apr 07, 2021 1:31 pm

I was recently against my better judgement persuaded to buy an Ipad - works perfectly well in all departments except one?

Why on earth were they not designed to take a USB dongle thingy so that they will work independently on the internet - seems the only way they can work is from someone elses dongle on a laptop or from the internet system provided to an entire building?

seems crazy?
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptyThu Apr 08, 2021 11:57 am

Mrs mart has an iPad and found not having a USB socket a bit limiting. There are wi-fi adapters for iPad to USB though. Would this work for you?

Amazon.co.uk : iPad USB Adapter

Probably available from Amazon Australia.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptyThu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 pm

Hmm? yes but there does not appear to be anywhere on the Ipad surface from ; back  top;bottom or both sides to insert anything - where would one put the wi-fi end in? I have a samsung galaxy Tab A  - ah unless it in fact fits in the re-charge orifice?? at the bottom of the gadget?
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptyThu Apr 08, 2021 1:09 pm

Yes, it's one socket does all I believe.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptyThu Apr 08, 2021 1:18 pm

I'm not absolutely certain of the above not ever having tried it but I just did a search and this came up. Could be worth looking into..

How to Buy Internet Time on an iPad (chron.com)
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptyThu Apr 08, 2021 2:05 pm

well thanks for the effort Mart much appreciated but I am doubly amazed that in this age of top notch technology - there is no easier way to do this - why build something so eloquent as an Ipad and then not enable it to function independently via its own functionalities? - I know that I can walk into any good hotel or even bad one for that matter and because they are covered by internet the Ipad wll work but cannot do so alone - i am baffled!!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptyThu Apr 08, 2021 3:51 pm

They are OK if wanting to transfer data from the iPad to somewhere else. DropBox or similar is good for that. This is the first time I've come across needing to get onto the Internet using a dongle though, so I'm on uncertain ground. I think I'd try that adapter but buy it knowing it might not work and end up in the back of a drawer (like other stuff I have).

Might be worth typing 'internet dongle ipad' into a search engine and having a look around. Maybe there's an answer on the Apple forums too. Someone must have had the problem and solved it?
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptyFri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 am

dongles for ipads

this seems to suggest a partial solution but all too much of a bother - the basic puzzle for me remains - why no dongle ports for all ipads? - thanks for your help anyway
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptyFri Apr 09, 2021 2:24 am

and super simple NOT

wow - for the elderly and infirm!!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptyFri Apr 09, 2021 8:45 am

Has the iPad got a SIM card slot? Looking further, I found these articles..

Mobile Broadband for iPad (mobile-broadband.org.uk)

Does the iPad Have a SIM Card? And How Do I Remove It? (lifewire.com)

Might provide a way.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptyFri Apr 09, 2021 11:03 am

NO been down that painful road - if it had; problem over;  but it what it had was just a memory slot for a card - but will give those a looky see but I fear the worst!  feels like another rabbit hole says alice!

first one only works in UK of course and 

second only applicable for apple? given the amount of hotspots around the globe there is no major problem - if you are near a hotpsot then the ipad will connect onto someone else's machine but the question still remains apart from apples abilities it would seem that ipads were not built for easy adaptiblity to the internet so it becomes a glorified kindle - perhaps not even as good?

this search always seems to have a circular design?

it was a frustrating journey when I first purchased and assumed life was easy especially in the pc world - but no I am aghast at the manufacturers and their short mindeness??
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptySat Apr 10, 2021 7:56 am

Mrs mart's iPad3 became old. She didn't replace it with another iPad but got a Surface Pro instead. Part of the reason for that was the lack of a USB socket on iPads. Not needed for a mobile Internet dongle in her case but it's just a more convenient and widespread standard for all purposes.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptySat Apr 10, 2021 6:31 pm

one other point to consider is that if one has a smart phone that can pick up a hot spot [I am told] then the Ipad will operate off of that - but that is not the real point of the discussion is it?

Plus I am a self- trained touch typist and proud of it so hate all these small keyboards and watching people rapidly typing with two fingers! I even have a stand alone keyboard with my small laptop to accommodate my needs and would hate to give it up! 

I once worked with a female colleagues in addictions work who was studying for her Phd and to my astonishment one day walked into her office to see her two finger typing part of her dissertation. I think it took me 3 mths to become proficient on an old portable olivetti machine. But I was more determined in those days! always valued it ever since
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptySun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am

I'm hopeless at typing and I find I make mistakes frequently. So much so these days that I think it might stop forum activity at some time. I often don't see mistakes, double words etc until some time after posting. It's very annoying. I think this one is OK though.  I pads 1f600 

My sister went to secretarial college and her fingers are just a blur on the keyboard. Just so fast and accurate. Wish I could be the same

Again not the point of the discussion but one thing always leads to another and not much more can be said about the iPad.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads EmptySun Apr 11, 2021 12:46 pm

davo wrote:
My sister went to secretarial college and her fingers are just a blur on the keyboard. Just so fast and accurate. Wish I could be the same

as I said you can in 3 mths!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: I pads   I pads Empty

Back to top Go down

I pads
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Lifestyle :: Computer Matters-
Jump to: