HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong Empty
PostSubject: Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong   Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 10:35 am

A trip down memory lane for me today - I used to frequent the bar regularly during my 3 yr stint in honkers and Dennis James [cocker] was the jazz band leader with the Jamestown Five. No entrance fee - you just politely bought a drink or two or three and listened to some classy music. Dennis was originally a jazz pianist in London and returned there after 9 years in HK - many of the top singers and players from UK passing through like Kenny Ball and Mat Munro would pop in and do a gig .

His wife Marion used to run another english style pub around the corner. so if ya wanted a break from the noise you could just pop around and have a quite chat with her. All pubs almost in those days were english style decor. It was a very strange feeling having been in this happy haven minus log fire of an old english pub and then step out onto the fast paced streets of HK. 

Dennis returned to the smoke and carried on playing his trad jazz until his death in 2009 - RIP

ned kellys bar HK
Back to top Go down
Boozercruiser
Boozercruiser

PostSubject: Re: Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong   Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 2:01 pm

davo wrote:
A trip down memory lane for me today - I used to frequent the bar regularly during my 3 yr stint in honkers and Dennis James [cocker] was the jazz band leader with the Jamestown Five. No entrance fee - you just politely bought a drink or two or three and listened to some classy music. Dennis was originally a jazz pianist in London and returned there after 9 years in HK - many of the top singers and players from UK passing through like Kenny Ball and Mat Munro would pop in and do a gig .

His wife Marion used to run another english style pub around the corner. so if ya wanted a break from the noise you could just pop around and have a quite chat with her. All pubs almost in those days were english style decor. It was a very strange feeling having been in this happy haven minus log fire of an old english pub and then step out onto the fast paced streets of HK. 

Dennis returned to the smoke and carried on playing his trad jazz until his death in 2009 - RIP

ned kellys bar HK

Just being dragged out by Wifey for a long walk, but will reply to this later Davo.
Cheers!  Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong 1695888395
Back to top Go down
Boozercruiser
Boozercruiser

PostSubject: Re: Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong   Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Wifey and I seek out Jazz bars whenever we can, though there is not a lot of Jazz going in North Wales.
But when we travel to Liverpool we always catch some then, and just as soon as we can we will be there and find Jazz as well as Caberet and stuff we like.
Hopefully once Covid has been brought to heel! 

Here I am in The Cavern with some Ladies off another forum!
 Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong 1f600 

Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong B7b61c10

Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong 7489e710
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong   Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong EmptyThu Mar 25, 2021 12:15 am

oh the cavern - don't make me weep - how the years have rolled on!
Back to top Go down
Boozercruiser
Boozercruiser

PostSubject: Re: Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong   Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong EmptyThu Mar 25, 2021 12:57 am

davo wrote:
oh the cavern - don't make me weep - how the years have rolled on!

Yes they have Davo. groan
Back in the day I saw The Beatles three times in The Cavern.
They had only just released Love Me Do and of course when that became a hit they became big stars then.
I will NEVER forget seeing them though.
Magic.
Pure Magic!  Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong 1695888395

It is almost 1.00am here in the UK now, so I shut this computer down and have a coupla beers and a bit of supper and a read.
Catch you tomorrow my friend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong   Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong Empty

Back to top Go down

Ned Kellys Last Stand Bar Hong Kong
Page 1 of 1