repairing pc's

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

repairing pc's Empty
PostSubject: repairing pc's   repairing pc's EmptyThu Mar 18, 2021 11:17 am

had a deteriorating pc nut still working tried to do a clean up job using restora for $30 and the final selection was reboot - which I selected and everything went black and never came back ? - any clues?/
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

repairing pc's Empty
PostSubject: Re: repairing pc's   repairing pc's EmptyThu Mar 18, 2021 8:54 pm

Try rebooting a 3 or 4 times to see if the computer will enter Safe Mode automatically. A few restarts could also prod Windows into initiating an automatic repair.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

repairing pc's Empty
PostSubject: Re: repairing pc's   repairing pc's EmptyFri Mar 19, 2021 12:02 am

cheers will give it a try
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

repairing pc's Empty
PostSubject: Re: repairing pc's   repairing pc's EmptyFri Mar 19, 2021 6:57 am

nope dead as a dodo - how do you restart a pc that's just been restora 'd' which took 5 bloody hrs and took my money too! -we have got a local guy who tinkers with pcs but he can charge as little as $50 or up to $800 !!screen is as dead as a second dodo! not a flicker - anything else in ya box mart?
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

repairing pc's Empty
PostSubject: Re: repairing pc's   repairing pc's EmptyFri Mar 19, 2021 9:16 am

Do you have a start-up disk (alternatively called a 'Recovery Drive') or a Windows 10 installation disk? If not, you can make a recovery drive using the computer you are on now if it's a Windows 10 one. Either that or download the W.10 installation media from here onto a USB stick.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Once a recovery USB drive has been made, the faulty computer can be booted up using it. When the computer has started, different options to recover the system are available. I've searched out a good step by step guide for doing this. It shows the options needed in 'Advanced Options'.

Alternatively, Method 3 in the article could be done.

4 Ways to Restore Windows 10 from Recovery USB (ubackup.com)

Do you have any files on the computer that you want to keep? Have they been previously backed up to an external drive?

Needless to say it looks like the clean-up had taken out something that was needed. This is always a risk with them. Does the computer sound as is it is booting properly? I expect you will have wiggled the monitor connection plug around a bit to make sure it hasn't come slightly adrift?
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

repairing pc's Empty
PostSubject: Re: repairing pc's   repairing pc's EmptyFri Mar 19, 2021 10:42 am

thanks Mart - will try them all out - yes some of those might just work out - fortunately I was in the habit of saving all important files and pics on dvd's and have them ready to use - guess what new cheaper pc has no tray so just ordered one on line - yes this new world can be fun but also is very complex at times. 

my son refuses to use a smart phone and is a teacher - he misses out on all sorts of messages sent around to the staff   just because he won't keep up with technology or doesn't want to - however as I pointed out it is contingent with your job these days. I am retired and have no smart phone - people can't believe I have none?

this world is surely getting crazier - glad you are keeping up with everything - you can look after us oldies!!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

repairing pc's Empty
PostSubject: Re: repairing pc's   repairing pc's EmptyFri Mar 19, 2021 1:24 pm

I used an ordinary mobile phone for a good while. It was OK for phone calls and not much else. Not at all smart by today's standards. The one I have now has got all the bells a whistles of a fairly modern smart phone. One trouble about not having a smartphone is that some banks and shopping sites want to send a log in code by text as a security measure. Oh well, progress I suppose.

About the computer, If you don't have any files that need rescuing (because you have them backed up to an external drive), it might be best to just clean install the operating system and programs and put your files back on afterwards. This will give a nice clean system.

This is done with the W.10 installation media mentioned in the last post. Boot up with it and follow the instructions. If you have a Microsoft account, all you need is the the login details. If Windows 10 has been installed before, the Microsoft servers know this and no key number necessary. You'd need to have key numbers for the programs you want to install on the OS though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

repairing pc's Empty
PostSubject: Re: repairing pc's   repairing pc's Empty

Back to top Go down

repairing pc's
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Lifestyle :: Computer Matters-
Jump to: