Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

One for Mart ... not computer but TV Empty
PostSubject: One for Mart ... not computer but TV   One for Mart ... not computer but TV EmptyWed Mar 18, 2020 3:09 pm

Now here's something you will just not credit or believe.....
Earlier today Mrs Mal said that she had discovered that under the TV in the bedroom (which we rarely use) there is a wet patch...Oh no I said expecting a leak in the ceiling, but the source of the wet patch was in reality much more unbelievable.
I finally discovered that the back of the TV was also wet so I moved it away from the place it was resting and removed the power cord and the aerial connector
The co-ax cable and connector was wet and on inspection I discovered that the cable was full of water and had found its way into the TV via the connector and had also dripped down the back of the set soaking the cover that the set rested on.
I could not believe it !
All the rain we have had must have been too much for the roof-mounted aerial to just shrug off and had filled the co-ax cable and in turn found its way into the TV.
The TV will not work now either !!!
So I have arranged to have a new roof-aerial fitted on Friday together with all new co-ax cables and connectors and also had to buy a new TV, even though we rarely watch it....just in case we fall victim to the virus and are bed-bound for a while.
Have you ever come across anything like this Mart ?
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: One for Mart ... not computer but TV   One for Mart ... not computer but TV EmptyWed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 pm

malcolm wrote:
Have you ever come across anything like this Mart ?

I have Malcolm ..numerous times during my time as a TV engineer. Once the water gets into the connection box at the masthead, the co-ax acts like a pipe for the water, It ends up dripping out of the aerial plug and socket. In the old days, the aerial socket was remote from the TV tuner (connected to the tuner by a short length of co-ax cable and a couple of isolating capacitors). The socket could be replaced after the aerial was repaired and that was that.

These days though, the aerial socket is soldered directly into the tuner and main panel and the damage would go further than just the aerial socket. It might not necessarily mean the end of the TV but I don't know how cost effective it would be to repair it.

It could be that once the TV is completely dry, it will work. More likely however is that some rusting or corrosion will have taken place. You could leave the TV for a few weeks to thoroughly dry out and then give it a try. You never know your luck.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: One for Mart ... not computer but TV   One for Mart ... not computer but TV EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:24 am

Thanks Mart, I will give it some time to dry out, meanwhile I have bought a cheap Samsung smart TV as a replacement... the old damaged one was ready for replacement anyhow so nothing lost !
It was a real surprise to discover, never having even heard of the condition before, I did a lot of head scratching angry 
Hoping all's well with you in these very trying times yes
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: One for Mart ... not computer but TV   One for Mart ... not computer but TV EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 11:52 am

A good reason to get a new TV anyway. I never thought I'd use a TV's smart features but I found them quite handy on occasions.

We are managing OK band hope you are too. We are short of a few things but the family scouts are out looking for them. :)
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: One for Mart ... not computer but TV   One for Mart ... not computer but TV EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 11:53 am

We'll the TV is back from the dead, must have dried out like you said it would and the new co-ax is working we'll.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One for Mart ... not computer but TV   One for Mart ... not computer but TV Empty

Back to top Go down

One for Mart ... not computer but TV
Page 1 of 1