HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Middle east ex-pats

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

Middle east ex-pats Empty
PostSubject: Middle east ex-pats   Middle east ex-pats EmptyTue Jul 25, 2017 11:17 pm

anyone spotted this yet??

memoirs of the ME
Back to top Go down
Hetty
Hetty

PostSubject: Re: Middle east ex-pats   Middle east ex-pats EmptyWed Jul 26, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks, Davo. I enjoyed reading that especially as the 1950s was the first time I went to the Middle East... Syria ... slap bang in the middle of the desert with a couple of dozen houses, if that. One very small swimming pool and a table tennis board was the entertainment. I was given 'time off' school in England so mam and I joined dad for a 3 month trip. The following year was the Suez crisis and dad and all the other workers were sent home and he then got a job in Kuwait and then mum and I joined him out there and stayed there until the late 60s. I loved every minute.The photos below were taken in Syria.

Me on the right....

Middle east ex-pats Wlvpr8

Mam with bedu children

Middle east ex-pats 2ps3rzt
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Middle east ex-pats   Middle east ex-pats EmptyWed Jul 26, 2017 9:59 am

Interesting article Davo plus some great photos Hetty :;smile:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Middle east ex-pats   Middle east ex-pats EmptyWed Jul 26, 2017 12:43 pm

I suppose there was plenty to do with a bucket and spade Hetty but very little else in the way of entertainment in those day's.
Back to top Go down
Hetty
Hetty

PostSubject: Re: Middle east ex-pats   Middle east ex-pats EmptyWed Jul 26, 2017 5:34 pm

That would be true of Syria as it literally was such just a handful of people set down in the middle of the desert. Kuwait was totally different, we lived in a town purpose built for employees of the company with lots more people and loads of things to do. There was a large club which housed swimming pool, tennis/squash/badminton courts etc. Then there was a yacht club and small boat owners club, motoring club, go karting and numerous other activities.... I won't go on anymore. lolĀ  It was brilliant and I think the 50s and 60s were the best years to be out there. I loved it.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Middle east ex-pats   Middle east ex-pats EmptyWed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 pm

HK was a bit like that if you worked for a private company they did everything for you. I worked for the HK govt so all I got was a reduced rent flat and free health care for me and the family
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Middle east ex-pats   Middle east ex-pats Empty

Back to top Go down

Middle east ex-pats
Page 1 of 1