5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Maybe others know this already but something discovered about reading Kindle books.

I was looking to install a Linux program on the laptop computer that would let me read them. It seems it might be possible to do this but not easily. It was while researching that I learned Amazon offer a Cloud service for reading Kindle books. Not only that but it is synchronised to the pages on the Kindle Paperwhite. I didn't know that! :)

Use any browser to go to: https://read.amazon.com , sign in using your usual Amazon login details, select the book and start reading. Text sizes and presentation of pages all adjustable.

Not only that but if you use Chrome (or Chromium as it is for Linux) to log in, an App is offered for downloading the books and reading them offline via the browser. This means it doesn't matter if the computer is running a Linux OS. The Cloud reader and the App will work with any platform.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 pm

That's interesting - but for some reason my eyes get sore if I read a book on my laptop.

However - I'm fine with my Kindle Paper White with the brightness set mid point.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptySun Jul 23, 2017 8:09 am

I looked into using the laptop as a Kindle reader more to put Linux through its paces than anything else, which lead to the amazing discovery. :) I prefer to use the paperwhite too. It is light to hold and as you say, not so hard on the eyes. I wonder if this might be because the paperwhite screen has a very matte finish that diffuses the light.

I had a further look at the Amazon's Cloud reader settings and it is possible to change the background of pages to black with white text or sepia, keeping the text black. I thought the black background and white text harder on the eyes but the sepia setting isn't too bad, especially if the laptop's 'brightness down' key is tapped a couple of times.

Mrs Mart reads her Kindle books on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 used in tablet mode (no keyboard). It doesn't seem to glare. I don't know what the difference there would be.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptySun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 am

I just use the Free Kindle App whenever I need it....easy peasy !
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptySun Jul 23, 2017 9:51 am

That's what Mrs Mart uses Malcolm. I have got it on my phone too.

I use Kindle Paperwhite for reading a few pages of my book at bedtime ..and sometimes while sitting out in the garden. I think the size, brightness and matte screen are better than using the App on other devices but it's all a matter of preference.

There is no App easily usable for Linux operating systems though and that's where the Cloud reader and the Chromium browser App can be useful. It means those running Linux devices can read their Kindle books without needing anything other than a browser.
Back to top Go down
sags
Ex-member
Ex-member
sags

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptySun Jul 23, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm a techno dinosaur but I was brave once and downloaded the Kindle App onto my computer. (before I owned a Kindle).

I like it. Not just because you can pick different backgrounds like, black or white or sepia but I can highlight words and bookmark notes into it too.
Nice to know even if my Kindle conks I can see read my stash of books.
I've converted some of my own failed bestsellers from Word into Mobi and stashed them on it.

:shy:I'm into Fan Fiction too at the moment ... Star Trek, Blake's 7, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and other ancient nonsensical mind numbing literary feasts of fantasy.
I've got about 600 hundred little free books (some very good) ... which one site lets you download in Mobi format.
I've found trying to read PDF files on Kindle is rubbish and hardwork... and I don't like work.

Which reminds me ...  it needs recharging.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptySun Jul 23, 2017 1:51 pm

malcolm wrote:
I just use the Free Kindle App whenever I need it....easy peasy !

We have a kindle and I used to use it regularly. However we have now accumulated three bookcases of books from charity shops. I cannot resist if I see an unread one from my favourite authors.

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Kindle Reader 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptySun Jul 23, 2017 8:14 pm

One of the advantages books have over a Kindle is that they look better on shelves. :)
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptySun Jul 23, 2017 8:41 pm

What I like about a paper book is that you can flick back quickly if you are uncertain of something mentioned later in the book.

I know you can go backwards on the Kindle but I find it a right faff.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptyMon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 am

AlanHo wrote:
What I like about a paper book is that you can flick back quickly if you are uncertain of something mentioned later in the book.

I know you can go backwards on the Kindle but I find it a right faff.

I agree, I do it all the time.

Kindle Reader 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptyMon Jul 24, 2017 9:11 am

That reminds me of last week. I went for a hospital appointment and had to wait for about 45 minutes. I had my phone with the Kindle App on it and all the books I've bought are on there. I found the one I was currently reading on the Kindle at home but finding the page I'd got to within it was another matter.

I had no idea what page I was on at home, so had to go through the pages in chunks, recognising where I'd already got to. With the small amount of text that a phone screen displays, it took ages. I eventually found the place and managed to read a bit further. Not as far as if I had the story in the form of a proper book though.

Oh well, it all helped to pass the time. :)
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptyMon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 am

Quite honestly I don't think I would bother trying to read a book on a phone because of the small text. My eye sight is pretty decent, but I would not even try.  When I go to hospital I always take a book with me.

Kindle Reader 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptyMon Jul 24, 2017 10:19 am

You can change the size of the text ..but then you need to flip the page more frequently.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader EmptyMon Jul 24, 2017 10:27 am

Mart wrote:
You can change the size of the text ..but then you need to flip the page more frequently.

I am happy with my book

Kindle Reader 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kindle Reader Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kindle Reader   Kindle Reader Empty

Back to top Go down

Kindle Reader
Page 1 of 1