Mart
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Windows 10 updates - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Cheaper and probably better to just Google for any problems. Someone has always had the same problem as you somewhere in the World.
Back to top Go down
JeanieJ

JeanieJ

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 am

I have had most of the different Windows but when I had a new computer several years ago, the shop keeper suggested that I did not have Vista as he had had problems with it, so I had XP.  I now have Windows 10.  It was difficult to understand at first, but I get on OK now.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 11:39 am

I have watched bill gates for years and seen him interviewed many times - IMO he is just a regular guy who put his heart and soul into his dream and won and then gave his money away to help others and would not also spoil his kids either good guy - wish he was my mate!
Back to top Go down
JeanieJ

JeanieJ

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 3:57 pm

davo wrote:
I have watched bill gates for years and seen him interviewed many times - IMO he is just a regular guy who put his heart and soul into his dream and won and then gave his money away to help others and would not also spoil his kids either good guy - wish he was my mate!

I agree. He has done a lot for charitable causes. He has given away billions. :;smile:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 6:48 am

Windows has just downloaded updates for "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709" ... it took all day to do it from 8am until 9pm last night !! angry
After three failed attempts, I was ready to give in on it.
It has yet to install and I have scheduled it for 8am today...fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
https://murgatroyds.forumotion.net
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Should not take that long surely?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 3:42 pm

It took forty minutes to install, cosmetic changes but nothing exciting....why do they bother ?
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 pm

They cannot help but tinker, all software engineers are the same.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 13, 2018 10:31 am

Has everyone got the update to patch the much advertised vulnerability present in processor chips? The update is labelled 'KB4056892'. To find out, go to: 'Control Panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates' (a link in the left-hand column). Its installation is said to slow computers down by as much as 30%, depending on how they are used.

The patch is installed on my computer but I haven't noticed a slowdown in anything. Has anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 am

Same here Mart....like you I haven't noticed any slowdown 13.01.2018 murgs dance
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 11:43 am

Another update has installed itself on my laptop, after two failed attempts
It took most of the day yesterday from around 10am 'til 3.30 in the afternoon !!
Some interesting changes but most of them unnecessary and useless to me.  groan
Attachments
Windows 10 updates - Page 3 AttachmentCapture.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(32 Kb) Downloaded 4 times
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 am

Now I find that this laptop is not discoverable on my older Windows 7 machine, but luckily my Win7 is still discoverable on this one so I am able to make file transfers.
Every update seems to bring its problems oh no
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2018 8:30 am

I think Microsoft really want everyone on Windows 10 and don't put much consideration these days into making Windows 7 work with it. Most programs still work but perhaps system functions such as networking between W.10 and older operating systems might suffer. There's always the good old USB stick for transferring files if all else fails.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2019 9:50 am

The May update for Windows 10 has been (or is being) rolled out now. The last version was numbered '1809' and the latest one is '1903'. There are a few ways to see what version is installed. Here are a couple of them:

Right-click on the Windows icon at the bottom-left of the screen.
Left-click on 'Run' in the menu that opens.
Type 'winver' into the Run box and click OK.
A small window will open with the windows version shown in it.
----------------------------------------------------
Left-click on the icon at the bottom-right of the screen.
Click 'All settings'.
Select 'System'.
Select 'About'.
Go to the bottom of the window that opens to see the version number.

The update has been more than slow for some. A snail's pace might describe it. This update is quite a big one though and the speed of updating can depend on a number of factors. I think the entire update procedure can be split into two halves. The first being the downloading of the files needed to do the update. The speed of this part can depend on:

The Internet connection speed in a person's home.
Whether the computer is connected to the Internet via Wi-fi, or a direct lead connection.
How busy the Internet in general is at the time.
The speed and the demand on the Microsoft servers.

Once the installation files are downloaded to the computer, the update has to be done. The speed of this depends on the processing power of the computer. Also, my own theory is that the update has to determine the state of the computer the update is being installed on. For instance, it has to be able to bypass any security programs that may be installed. Security programs are designed to prevent changes being made to the computer ..and making changes is just what Windows Update is doing. Not only that, it has to be able to leave all the installed programs (including security programs) working once the update has completed. Think of the diversity of all the third-party programs that might be installed on any individual Windows computer and I personally can see why updating the system and leaving all programs hopefully working might take a long time.

All in all though, not much can be done by the user to speed things up and I suppose as long as the update is successful in the end, then that's the main thing. To avoid the frustration of watching the update creep along, one answer is to start it before going to bed and just let the computer get on with it. I've done that myself on past occasions.

I have one computer still to update. I don't know how long this one will take since it's going over Wi-fi but I might start it later today.

The Desktop computer is done and this was fairly quick. Certainly less than a couple of hours. This may have been because I forced the update before it was offered by Windows Update by downloading the files from Microsoft's 'Media Creation Tool' page. Perhaps that was quicker because the demand wasn't so high for the update at the time, or because it's a different server maybe ..not sure.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 6:21 am

Thanks Mart.
I had thought that the demand on the Windows servers must be the problem, and when you think about it it is a small price to pay for a wonderful 'Free' service.
It's just that with me, I worry that all is not well with my machine when it takes hours rather than minutes to do !
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 8:51 am

I know the feeling Malcolm. It's easy to think that something has gone wrong when the update takes ages. The main thing is to just wait and wait because the process is still most likely doing its number-crunching unseen in the background.

I've read of cases where the computer has been switched off because the computer was thought to have hung when it really hadn't. The result being a messed up update.

When the next big update comes around (and if we're still both around :)), maybe discuss the merits of bypassing Windows Update and getting the update via Microsoft's 'Media Creation Tool' page.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Windows 10 updates
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next