Mart
Goldie
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Goldie
Goldie

Concerns Over Coconut Oil Empty
PostSubject: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 10:10 am

Here we go again, first it good for you the it's not.

I tend to use it on skin ailments where  it works  for me

Coconut oil is as unhealthy as beef dripping and butter, say US heart experts.
It is packed with saturated fat which can raise "bad" cholesterol, says the American Heart Association in updated advice.
Coconut oil is commonly sold as a health food and some claim the fat in it may be better for us than other saturated fats.
The AHA, however, says there are no good studies to support this.

Healthy myth?

The advice around which fats to eat can be very confusing.
Animal fats, such as lard, are generally seen as bad, while plant oils, such as olive and sunflower, are seen as healthier options.
That theory is based on how much of one particular type of fat - saturated fat or "sat fat" - these products contain.

Sat fat

Saturated fat is said to be bad for our health, although not everyone agrees.
Concerns Over Coconut Oil _96516169_gettyimages-467498116Image copyrightRENA-MARIE/GETTY IMAGES
Eating a diet high in saturated fat can raise the level of "bad" (LDL) cholesterol in the blood, which, in turn, may clog the arteries and increase the risk of heart disease and stroke.
According to the AHA, 82% of the fat in coconut oil is saturated. That's more than in butter (63%), beef fat (50%) and pork lard (39%). And, like other saturated fats, studies show it can increase "bad" cholesterol.
Some claim that the mixture of fats in coconut oil still make it a healthy option, but the AHA says there is no good-quality evidence for this.
It says people should limit how much saturated fat they eat, replacing some of it with unsaturated vegetable oils - olive oil and sunflower oil, and their spreads.

Healthy swaps

According to the AHA, studies show swaps such as this can lower cholesterol by the same magnitude as cholesterol-lowering drugs.
Dr Frank Sacks, lead author of the AHA advice, said: "We want to set the record straight on why well-conducted scientific research overwhelmingly supports limiting saturated fat in the diet to prevent diseases of the heart and blood vessels."
In the UK, Public Health England advises people to cut down on saturated fat:

• the average man should eat no more than 30g of saturated fat a day

• the average woman should eat no more than 20g of saturated fat a day

Nutritional labels on food display how much saturated fat is in products.
But experts stress that fat is still an essential part of a healthy, balanced diet. We shouldn't cut out too much. Fat is a source of essential fatty acids and helps the body absorb vitamins, such as A, D and E.
Victoria Taylor from the British Heart Foundation said: "To eat well for your heart health it is not just about reducing fat but reducing specific types of fat and taking care over what these are replaced with - unsaturated fats and wholegrains, rather than sugars and refined carbohydrates.
"Any change should be viewed in the context of a whole diet approach. The traditional Mediterranean diet has benefits for a range of risk factors for heart disease, not just cholesterol levels.
"We recommend replacing the saturated fats in the diet with unsaturated fats - using oils instead of butter and choosing foods like avocado, oily fish, nuts and seeds instead of foods high in saturated fats like cakes, biscuits, chocolate and fatty meat."

Low fat tips

• Grill, bake, poach or steam food rather than deep frying or roasting

• Trim visible fat and take skin off meat before cooking

• Spoon off fats and oils from roasts, casseroles, stews and curries

• When making sandwiches, try leaving out the butter or spread: you might not need it if you're using a moist filling

Good fat vs bad fat

• Cholesterol is a fatty substance

• Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol is said to be 'bad' because it can be deposited in the walls of arteries and cause hard plaques to build up that can cause blockages, resulting in heart attacks and stroke

• High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol is 'good' because it carries LDL cholesterol to your liver where it is disposed of. A high ratio of good to bad cholesterol is healthiest

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 pm

If we didn't eat everything these so-called Health Experts told us was bad for our health we would all starve to death.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Gandalph wrote:
If we didn't eat everything these so-called Health Experts told us was bad for our health we would all starve to death.
I never listen Gandalf. I try and maintain a healthy diet but hey a girl must have a chocolate at times.

I am a healthy weight so who cares :;smile:

Just another excuse to do a research project I suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 1:14 pm

You are like me then Goldie. I have been a steady 13.5 stone with a little bit of shift 4 lbs either way since I was seventeen years old. I eat anything I fancy and it never seems to make a bit of difference to my weight.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 6:15 pm

We have a lot of choice here and I do like paella but being a British. I like my own food just like I ate home. So we reverted back.

I have to be careful as I have a sweet tooth and love Greek yoghurt.

I way about 10stone 7lb so can afford the occasional treet. I love fruit so that makes me feel non guilty Gandalph  drink
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 7:39 am

I suppose the purpose of eating (or not eating) all these foods is to extend life but I'm not at all convinced that they have much effect on lifespan. Nonetheless, if eating that way gives hope or comfort, I'd say that's OK. Maybe it's possible to die healthy. :)

I think it more important not to overeat any type of food and if physically possible, take some exercise that the pushes the boundaries a bit. Even that might not increase lifespan but it does help to make a person feel more fit and energetic while they are here.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 8:28 am

Coco nut oil is fine on the skin though.

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Concerns Over Coconut Oil 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 9:18 am

I have been 85 kg , give or take about 2kg ever since I stopped playing football, rugby and athletics  when I was close to 95 kg!   I think the key to all this dieting fads is moderation. There's nothing wrong with MacDonalds unless you eat it every day and if you eat nothing but broccoli that's a very unhealthy diet.  The only way to guarantee that you don't get some foul disease is to eat nothing and don't breathe!

Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Ciderman wrote:
I have been 85 kg , give or take about 2kg ever since I stopped playing football, rugby and athletics  when I was close to 95 kg!   I think the key to all this dieting fads is moderation. There's nothing wrong with MacDonalds unless you eat it every day and if you eat nothing but broccoli that's a very unhealthy diet.  The only way to guarantee that you don't get some foul disease is to eat nothing and don't breathe!

Agree Cide.  I am a 10.5 stone weakling and eat pretty much what I want. 

My weakness dessert but hubby says blooming heck girl, where is it going to go enjoy  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 7:25 am

I've always been skinny and used to try to put weight on as a younger man. I ate whatever I wanted and in good quantities. Nothing wrong with my strength all the time I was working though. Think how strong a person could get when the job involves lifting those big heavy early colour televisions around all day. Even so, I was always a couple of pounds light of 10 stone. 

These days I weigh 11t 5lb but it doesn't sit too well on my frame. It helps to fill out my skin a bit better but I don't like looking down at my bigger belly. It's not big by most standards but big for me. I'm torn between thinking I should try and control it and saying what does it matter at my age?

My main downfall is nibbling food in the evenings. That's just the time when eating shouldn't be done because it doesn't get exercised off in bed ..well, not these days anyway. :)

Maybe I'll try and get that eating under control and see if the waistline goes down a bit.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 9:34 am

Mart wrote:
I've always been skinny and used to try to put weight on as a younger man. I ate whatever I wanted and in good quantities. Nothing wrong with my strength all the time I was working though. Think how strong a person could get when the job involves lifting those big heavy early colour televisions around all day. Even so, I was always a couple of pounds light of 10 stone. 

These days I weigh 11t 5lb but it doesn't sit too well on my frame. It helps to fill out my skin a bit better but I don't like looking down at my bigger belly. It's not big by most standards but big for me. I'm torn between thinking I should try and control it and saying what does it matter at my age?

My main downfall is nibbling food in the evenings. That's just the time when eating shouldn't be done because it doesn't get exercised off in bed ..well, not these days anyway. :)

Maybe I'll try and get that eating under control and see if the waistline goes down a bit.
:lol!:
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 10:41 am

I have never comprehended the need for Coconut Oil.
I have never seen or heard a coconut that squeeked
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 10:51 am

It squeaks when you rub it in too hard

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 11:11 am

catgate wrote:
I have never comprehended the need for Coconut Oil.
I have never seen or heard a coconut that squeeked

drum ..and if it did, I suppose you'd use 'Shell' oil.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Concerns Over Coconut Oil Brilli11    Classic mart......

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concerns Over Coconut Oil   Concerns Over Coconut Oil Empty

Back to top Go down

Concerns Over Coconut Oil
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next