HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VPN Online Safety

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Goldie
Goldie

VPN Online Safety Empty
PostSubject: VPN Online Safety   VPN Online Safety EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi folks

I recently had a nasty experience online not one I wish to go into.

I am an honest Joe and quite open about my life etc

It has started me thinking that if I am actually safe online.

Are VPN all they are cracked up to be?

I run a other site secret on Facebook for victims of domestic  violence.

I am not computer savvy so please a dummies explanation. 

I have tried one now as an experiment and apparently I am in Canada.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

VPN Online Safety Empty
PostSubject: Re: VPN Online Safety   VPN Online Safety EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 pm

I've never used a VPN Goldie, so can't speak from experience. However there are some good places on the Internet that give explanations that are as simple as possible, bearing in mind the complicated nature of things to do with computers and the Internet. A site called 'How-To Geek' is a pretty good one for information on many aspects of computing and the Internet. Here is an extract of their explanation of VPNs

Quote :
When you connect your computer (or another device, such as a smartphone or tablet) to a VPN, the computer acts as if it’s on the same local network as the VPN. All your network traffic is sent over a secure connection to the VPN. Because your computer behaves as if it’s on the network, this allows you to securely access local network resources even when you’re on the other side of the world. You’ll also be able to use the Internet as if you were present at the VPN’s location, which has some benefits if you’re using pubic Wi-Fi or want to access geo-blocked websites.

When you browse the web while connected to a VPN, your computer contacts the website through the encrypted VPN connection. The VPN forwards the request for you and forwards the response from the website back through the secure connection. If you’re using a USA-based VPN to access Netflix, Netflix will see your connection as coming from within the USA.

Here is the URL of the page containing the above: https://www.howtogeek.com/133680/htg-explains-what-is-a-vpn/

However, I'm not sure that a VPN would give you the privacy that you want. Do you mean that you want privacy when you write/read posts in Facebook and forums? True to say that the forum and/or Facebook won't know where you are in the World if you use a VPN but will that help anything? I don't think it would. Facebook might think you live in South America or somewhere else but information you post into Facebook will be readable by those you allow into your group just the same as if you hadn't bothered using a VPN. Those are the people you're giving information to anyway and nobody else should be able to see it.

As said though, I'm not very well up on the benefits of a VPN for the home user. Maybe others can give more information on this. I know some people don't want their country of origin being known because of their IP address but this is often to overcome licence restrictions on Netflix films or the like.

Anyway, have a read of the page linked to above. Read it a few times if necessary. This often helps in getting some idea of how things work.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

VPN Online Safety Empty
PostSubject: Re: VPN Online Safety   VPN Online Safety EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 12:17 am

Cheers Mart you just become more aware of things I suppose.

My friends husband is head of a facility in ...... Because of a certain crime committed  it was found the  NHS, Social Services , police  computer systems were in affective . It appears nobody could get info or work together solving the crime. A system first introduced by the health service and reworked created a massive facility. It now means everyone works together. It's not James Bond or anything just protects us worldwide I suspect. Nobody has access to it or can access it. Not like the films have you believe.

I think it was to help tighten up security in hospitals too so much patient information to protect.

If there is ever a need this facility can get data.

Nobody has access to that facility only her husband and one other. 

He just said we are all safe on line as long as we take precaution. 

I was talking to him today and he just said get a good VPN. I didn't like to ask 

He is such an assuming quiet man.

I have always thought more goes on behind the scenes than we know. 

Thanks Mart
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

VPN Online Safety Empty
PostSubject: Re: VPN Online Safety   VPN Online Safety Empty

Back to top Go down

VPN Online Safety
Page 1 of 1