HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The mystery of the Antiques Road Show

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

The mystery of the Antiques Road Show Empty
PostSubject: The mystery of the Antiques Road Show   The mystery of the Antiques Road Show EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 8:42 am

Don't know if this show is still running over there but my puzzle is that every time I watch it 99% of those attending and displaying items are white skinned. It seems to represent a UK that once existed in the 30-40's with no notable new immigrants??

any comments ??
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: The mystery of the Antiques Road Show   The mystery of the Antiques Road Show EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 8:46 am

It's entirely up to individuals as to whether or not they attend.  Many foreigners have attended in the past, making a point of visiting the venue when they are here, and several in the past have come to the UK specially to attend. One of the experts currently featured is of Caribbean descent.

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

The mystery of the Antiques Road Show 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: The mystery of the Antiques Road Show   The mystery of the Antiques Road Show EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 8:48 am

of course I do remember a lovely man dark skinned who was an expert on furniture now you mention it but over all it still looks strangely white!
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: The mystery of the Antiques Road Show   The mystery of the Antiques Road Show EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 9:05 am

As I say,no way can non white people be compelled to attend and swell the numbers. I am white,but would not attend as I do not have antiques. There is also the fact that few people of immigrant descent are likely to have old antiquities in their homes.

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

The mystery of the Antiques Road Show 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: The mystery of the Antiques Road Show   The mystery of the Antiques Road Show EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 9:22 am

I love the show of course it reminds me of my past!
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: The mystery of the Antiques Road Show   The mystery of the Antiques Road Show EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Are you an antique Davo? :;smile:

Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: The mystery of the Antiques Road Show   The mystery of the Antiques Road Show EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 9:25 pm

Ah you have posed the million year question - at what age can a human [still living shall we say] be officially classified as an antique?
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: The mystery of the Antiques Road Show   The mystery of the Antiques Road Show EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 9:28 pm

I must be! Handcrafted by my mom and dad in Guernsey about February 1939.

Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
sags
Ex-member
Ex-member
sags

PostSubject: Re: The mystery of the Antiques Road Show   The mystery of the Antiques Road Show EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 10:30 pm

davo wrote:
Don't know if this show is still running over there but my puzzle is that every time I watch it 99% of those attending and displaying items are white skinned. It seems to represent a UK that once existed in the 30-40's with no notable new immigrants??

any comments ??

All walking talking antiques ... with a lot of family heirlooms.
Give it a 30 or 40 years and someone will appear asking for the valuation on a circa 2016 refugee boat stashed in the attic.

Funny though .. I seem to remember a few years back an Australian chap watching an episode aired on Aussie TV and claiming he'd spotted his wife who'd been missing for 30 years.
Not a treasured relic up for valuation you understand .. just happened to be on the show.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The mystery of the Antiques Road Show   The mystery of the Antiques Road Show Empty

Back to top Go down

The mystery of the Antiques Road Show
Page 1 of 1