malcolm
-pops-
Irene
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Irene
Irene

Pork cheeks with Polenta Empty
PostSubject: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 3:38 pm

This will be my next experiment when I find a supplier - I have not looked for them yet, but I don't recall seeing them.  If they are available anywhere, I'll find them.  yes

Here is the recipe which I intend to try:

Pork cheeks with polenta
Pork cheeks with Polenta Pork_c10

Serves 4
4 hours 30 minutes

Ingredients

• 800g of pork cheeks, trimmed of excess sinew and fat
  • 1 large onion, roughly diced
  • 1 large carrot, roughly diced
  • 1 celery stick, sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 tbsp of oregano, chopped
  • 500ml of chicken stock
  • 200ml of passata
  • 200ml of red wine
  • 300g of polenta
  • 150g of Parmesan, finely grated
  • 1l vegetable stock
  • 25g of butter
  • 70g of rocket, washed and rinsed
  • 100g of bacon lardons, unsmoked
  • 100g of chestnut mushrooms, sliced
  • rapeseed oil, for frying
  • 1 lemon, zest only
  • 1 tbsp of parsley, finely chopped
  • 1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • salt
  • pepper

Method

First heat your oven to 140C. Then take a casserole dish that comes with a lid and place on the hob over a high heat. Add a splash of oil, lightly season the pork cheeks with salt and pepper and quickly brown them all over. You may have to do this in two batches. Put the cheeks to one side on a plate and turn the heat down to medium. Add some more oil and then throw in the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and oregano, cover and sweat for 10 minutes until everything is soft. Add the red wine and cook off the alcohol for about 5 minutes, then place the cheeks back on top of the vegetables. Pour the chicken stock over the top, along with the passata. Bring up to the boil and then cover and put the casserole in the oven. Cook for 3 to 4 hours, checking every now and then on the cheeks, they should be very soft and starting to fall apart when done

Remove the pork cheeks from the sauce, cover and keep in a warm place, then strain the remaining liquid into a saucepan using a sieve or chinois. Using the back of a spoon, push as much sauce out as possible. When done, place the saucepan on the hob and reduce by half

Cook your polenta by bring the light vegetable stock to the boil and then add the maize flour, stirring all the while, until it thickens. The regular stuff in the supermarket takes about 8-10 minutes and about 5 minutes in, you need to add the Parmesan cheese and continue stirring. Season with pepper and finishing off with a knob of butter doesn’t hurt either

For the bacon and mushrooms, simply fry them off in a pan with a small dash of oil until they crisp up and mix up the lemon zest, parsley and garlic in a small bowl for the gremolata. And the wet rocket really just needs a very quick flash in a pan over the hob for it to shrink down, say 30 seconds. Don’t overcook it, otherwise it will turn slimey

Bring everything together by spooning a generous amount of polenta in the centre of each plate (warmed) and then take two or three cheeks, sliced on the diagonal and arrange on top. Then drizzle a nice ladle of rich sauce over the top, along with the mushroom and bacon. And finish with a healthy scattering of gremolata across the plate

-----------------------------------------
..Pork cheeks with Polenta Irene_10
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 4:04 pm

I've seen pigs cheeks on the meat counter in large Waitrose stores (Petersfield).
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 4:08 pm

You can get them in Morrisons
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Unfortunately, we don't have Waitrose or Morrisons in Stafford town. 

Might be worth us calling one of the out-of-town butchers.  They are usually very obliging.  :;smile:

Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Sags must be cringing about this thread.......... drum

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
ourjimmy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
ourjimmy

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Try looking for Hog Jowls Irene murgs dance

Pork cheeks with Polenta 1695888395
A  Decent Sort Of Chap
Back to top Go down
The Beast
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
The Beast

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 4:46 pm

'Galtas' are hugely popular here, they can be found on the menus of most restaurants and are so meaty and succulent and tasty.....
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 5:00 pm

The Beast wrote:
'Galtas' are hugely popular here, they can be found on the menus of most restaurants and are so meaty and succulent and tasty.....

Ourjimmy wrote:
Try looking for Hog Jowls Irene 

Thanks OJ and B, I'll bear sets of info in mind.  thumb  eat2

Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 8:40 pm

This thread must be enough to make sags swoon.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
sags
Ex-member
Ex-member
sags

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 9:04 pm

AlanHo wrote:
Sags must be cringing about this thread.......... drum
shy No kidding! My cheeks are tough and untasty I can tell ya.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Which of your cheeks are you referring to? giggle

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pork cheeks with Polenta   Pork cheeks with Polenta Empty

Back to top Go down

Pork cheeks with Polenta
Page 1 of 1