Irene
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator

Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 9:02 am

-pops- wrote:
malcolm wrote:
Ugggghhhh fish eggs are fish eggs no matter what.... I would much rather eat hen's eggs.
Soft roe is from MALE fish.
Yes but I wouldn't eat sperm either.....no matter where it's from pale
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 9:41 am

malcolm wrote:
-pops- wrote:
malcolm wrote:
Ugggghhhh fish eggs are fish eggs no matter what.... I would much rather eat hen's eggs.
Soft roe is from MALE fish.
Yes but I wouldn't eat sperm either.....no matter where it's from pale

Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 Laught13  I must admit that when I first had soft roe, decades ago, if I had been aware of what they were I would not have eaten them.  eat2

-----------------------------------------
..Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 Irene_10
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 3:49 pm

well sqeamish it seems has become a new password around here! eat2
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 4:31 pm

I can eat any offal from an animal, liver and kidney etc.
But I'm not all that keen on fish....I heave at the smell
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 5:39 pm

seriously folks when I was a kid I heaved as malcolm put it at fried tomatoes and celery sticks, could not face that at any cost - now 60 yrs later love them - you will stop heaving in the end! tell us about what happened to you as a boy with fish!! thumb
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 6:11 pm

The only fish I ate as a boy was battered cod from the chippie.
We were very poor and I was orphaned at 14 when my father died, my mother having died when I was eleven.
No home cooked food for me and my dad, we lived on toast and jam, pies and chips
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Oh Malcolm, how sad.  So very sorry.  What happened to you after you lost your Dad?  Do you have siblings?

Sorry once again, I do not mean to pry...

Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 10:26 pm

malcolm wrote:
The only fish I ate as a boy was battered cod from the chippie.
We were very poor and I was orphaned at 14 when my father died, my mother having died when I was eleven.
No home cooked food for me and my dad, we lived on toast and jam, pies and chips

thanks for sharing - once again a story of adversity to success - wouldn't it be nice if we could all meet for coffee and a beer somewhere in UK I assume - or maybe spain would be better - now who do we know who lives in spain??

If I have a big win on our lottery this year and I mean big - I'll fund it!! murgs dance
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 8:06 am

I managed to get cod roe yesterday - never known it be so rare.

I boiled it, allowed it to get cold, peeled the skin off (the dog likes that), mashed it, added salt & pepper and an egg. Mixed all to a soft batter then shallow fried small cakelets. Just had them for breakfast with just a smidgen of vinegar.

Excellent!!!
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 8:30 am

I am literally allergic to cucumber and get a severe gastric reaction if I eat any. It's daft I know because in must be 99% water - but there is some compound in there that upsets my system.

If I buy a sandwich and find cucumber in it - I can't just remove it. The slightest trace left behind and I'm in trouble.

My wife loves cucumber but has to be careful with it - separate cutting board for example.

Back on topic with fish roe - I never eat it and even avoid caviar when being entertained at a "posh" party.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 8:43 am

That sounds interesting, pops-, [without the vinegar for me though].

My prep is very basic - once boiled they would be dipped in whisked egg then breadcrumbs and gently either shallow or deep fried. 

We usually buy a good quantity when available; then once boiled and packed in suitable sized amounts, they are frozen.  That extends the season somewhat!  :;smile:

Back to top Go down
Artangel
Ex-member
Ex-member
Artangel

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 10:03 am

I know lots of people like cod roe.... but not for me!
When l think back to when l was younger and how l used to eat the marrow out of bones! Yuk, l feel sick!
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Artangel wrote:
When l think back to when l was younger and how l used to eat the marrow out of bones! Yuk, l feel sick!
 Hi Art

Nice to see you x
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 17, 2017 12:17 am

Artangel wrote:

when I was a nipper we couldn't afford bones even - ma used to send us around to the local cobbler to get a few pieces of old leather to chew on! giggle
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 17, 2017 12:22 am

You were lucky.

We had to eat Coal   All those mines in Wales  Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 1695888395
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 17, 2017 4:16 am

well 'mines' a pint of black gold payed with the sweat of black coal? yakky dah! heh you used to play good rugby once wot oh!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else like Cod Roe?    Anyone else like Cod Roe?  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone else like Cod Roe?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Lifestyle :: Food and Drink-
Jump to: