HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?

Go down 
+2
malcolm
-pops-
6 posters
AuthorMessage
-pops-
-pops-

Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? Empty
PostSubject: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 12:10 pm

The title says all.

I bought one a couple of years ago and used it several times a week for about six months then, as with most gadgets, it got demoted to the top of the freezer and forgotten.

It would be interesting to use it again so, if there are any soup dragons out there, share your recipes here.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 12:17 pm

There are no recipes for soup pops.
Put your veg chopped into small pieces into a large saucepan and add water to cover plus three veg stock cubes and a bit of salt and pepper, bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour.
Add passata and broken up spaghetti and herbs to turn into minestrone.
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 1:50 pm

Perhaps not recipes then, but combinations of things that work well together e.g. chicken & leek, beef & tomato, and so on.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 2:29 pm

I always steer clear of meat in my soups and stick to veg in various combinations.
Tinned Tomato and peppers and garlic is an interesting combination yesmurgs dance
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 9:52 am

I don't own a jug type soup maker, but I do make soup. 

Here is one of the tasty recipes which I enjoy:

Roasted Tomato Soup

3lb (1.35 kg) ripe, red, firm tomatoes
Approx 1oz (25g) fresh basil
3 fat cloves garlic, (not peeled)
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for dipping
1 large potato, about 6 oz (175 g)

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5, 375°F (190°C).  (You will need a solid, shallow roasting tray about 14 x 11 x ¾ inches deep)

First, skin the tomatoes by pouring boiling water on them, leave for 1 minute before slipping the skins off.  Now, slice each tomato in half and arrange the halves on the baking tray, cut side uppermost. Place the garlic cloves on the tray as well, leaving their skins on. Then season everything with salt and pepper and sprinkle a few droplets of olive oil on each tomato half and some on the garlic – about 2 tablespoons in all. Then finally top each one with a piece of basil leaf (dipping the leaf in oil first to give it a good coating).

Now put the baking tray containing the tomatoes into the oven and roast for 1 hour or until the edges of the tomatoes are slightly blackened.

About 20 minutes before the end of the roasting time, peel and chop the potato, place it in a saucepan with some salt and 1 pint (570 ml) of boiling water. Add the tomato purée then simmer for about 20 minutes.

Scrape the tomatoes and all their juices into a food processor, take the garlic cloves from the tray, and then squeeze the pulp to join the tomatoes, discarding the clove skins. Then add the contents of the potato saucepan and whiz everything to a thick purée, not too smooth. 

The soup is now ready for reheating – very gently.

-----------------------------------------
..Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? Irene_10
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 10:23 am

My recipe for Tomato and garlic soup is far simpler.
Two tins of chopped tomatoes, S&P and a good squeeze of garlic purée.
Empty tomatoes into a large saucepan along with about 3/4 pint of water, blend with hand blender then pass through a sieve into another saucepan using the back of a large spoon.
Add seasoning and garlic purée and cup of milk.
Simmer for ten minutes then serve with dash of cream and handful of croutons.
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 10:37 am

The roasting of the tomatoes and garlic make an amazing difference.  Well worth the small amount of effort.  :;smile:

Back to top Go down
Hetty
Hetty

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Moroccan Chickpea Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped onion
1 crushed clove garlic
1 chopped carrot
1 chopped red pepper
1 tbsp cumin seeds
500 mil hot veg stock
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
1 heaped tsp harissa paste (or more depending on how hot/spicy you like it!)

Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, add onion, garlic, carrot, pepper, cumin seeds and stir fry for about five minutes. Add the stock, harissa paste and tomatoes then simmer for five minutes.

Remove pan from heat and puree vegetables with blender. Stir in the chickpeas and heat through for a further two minutes.

Another soup that I enjoy is apple and celery.

1 onion
tbsp flour
6 sticks of celery
2 green eating apples
1 pint of veggie stock
optional 1/2 cup of cream.

Chop onion in pan until soft. Add flour and stir for one minute. Add stock and simmer for about ten minutes, add chopped up apples and celery. Simmer for a further ten minutes. Blend soup and add cream...or not.
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 4:12 pm

Your chickpea soup sounds appealing, Hetty!
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 5:04 pm

-pops- wrote:

Both sound appealing to me, Hetty!  yes

Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2016 12:26 am

my wife makes all the soup in our place and I told her the other day - that elf like figure of yours looks just like a jug so I am going to call you.......................where did that effin roling  pin come from - never seen you make soup with a rolling pin before? oh no
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2016 8:07 am

Irene wrote:
-pops- wrote:

Both sound appealing to me, Hetty!  yes
I have a profound dislike of soup with apples in it. This dates back a long time when I was offered apple & Stilton soup. Unfortunately, it tasted to me as though it was the second time it had been eaten (if you see what I mean) but worse, eaten by someone else.

This dislike extends to any cooked blue cheese although other cooked cheeses don't affect me in the same way.
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2016 8:57 am

-pops- wrote:
Perhaps not recipes then, but combinations of things that work well together e.g. chicken & leek, beef & tomato, and so on.

Another recipe here, -pops-...

CARROT, COURGETTE and CORIANDER Soup

Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? Courge10   Serves 6

INGREDIENTS
• 2 tsp olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 leek, chopped
• 6 large carrots, chopped
• 2 large courgettes, chopped
• 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
• 4 tbsp chopped coriander

METHOD
1. Warm the olive oil in a large saucepan.  Add the onion, garlic and leek and allow them to soften for a couple of minutes.
2. Then add the carrots and courgettes.  Stir and cover pan with a lid, turn down heat, and cook for ten minutes.
3. Add 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
4. Turn off the heat and use a hand blender to blend until smooth. Stir in chopped coriander and serve.

Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2016 9:39 am

Irene, I'll be making that tomorrow for lunch. Sounds excellent! A slight mod I think, will be to use parsley instead of coriander.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? EmptyThu Mar 16, 2017 4:15 pm

I rarely bother with recipes. With soup I bung in whatever I fancy. The same goes for stews and casseroles. Stir fries too,tonight I will stir fry strips of beef with some spring onions,capsicum,mushrooms and plenty of chopped garlic and root ginger,if it looks insufficient I might bung in a carrot or a few leaves. When almost cooked I will bung in some cachew nuts and noodles and a stir fry sauce. No particular quantities of anything,just whatever looks about right.

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?   Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Anyone Else Own A Jug Type Soup Maker?
Page 1 of 1