davo
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
ourjimmy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 2:14 pm

I had an auntie who had never been on holiday until she was well into her 60s when she went in a caravan in North Wales,she lived in a small village not too far away from Newton-Le-Willows,Lancs.
The way she spoke was real "lanky" and very few people could understand her,in fact my kids would ask me to translate it for them as i was brought up with her--a very funny person sadly missed in the area. murgs dance
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 6:44 am

An Aboriginal funeral and wake - it started yesterday friday on our calendar - so a packed catholic church - the church is small and most of local Aborigines were converted to catholicism - usual exhaultations but now power point presentations have become the norm plus plenty of R&R songs and Country and Westerm!

that lasted one hr and then off to the cemetery in the sweltering heat of the afternoon. fortunately they now erect beach canopies for the faint and weak hearted [that's me] - the highlight I think was a final eulogy in Worora dialect one of threein this region - both recited and sung - very inspiring. then the red earth shoveling with dust covering all the white clothed guests!

the wake started later in the 'turf club' but I declined from fraility and faint heartedness! - it finally ceased [no alcohol permitted] until 1am next morning - and now continues once again today [sat] - it's all about sharing aural knowledge and photos of the past - probably reminiscent  of an Irish wake no doubt - I'm sure you could find the same in Papua New Guinea and deapest China?

I'm exhausted and I missed half of it!
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 7:01 am

It's a soporific day - 37C - no joggers about! aircon cars -aircon shops and aircon homes - nature does not understand all of this but just iss - pours down it's relentless rays relentlessly - if we all disappeared tomorrow it would just continue relentlessly. Snakes snaking away - wallabies ;  hopping about ; blue tongued lizards in the shade and all  just waiting for the next rains and cyclones. I met a new comer from the 'black country' today serving in WW - he said how did you know - eh lad it's ta way ta thee speaks!

he is of course newly arrived and says he loves the sunshine everyday and has heard there is a cyclone on the way - eh lad we says - theys always saiz that! murgs dance
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 8:21 am

I realise I'm being picky here but could the header of this thread be altered to the correct spelling?

It jars my brain every time I see ocassional
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 8:35 am

-pops- wrote:
I realise I'm being picky here but could the header of this thread be altered to the correct spelling?

I think only the author can do that pops.

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 1:56 pm

-pops- wrote:

yep definitely being' picky' but I hope ya brain gets better - doesn't bother us in OZ we speaks strine! - ya an ocker! occasionally !

is there 'banning' rule for mispellings?
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 3:02 pm

Your wish is my command pops.
I'm not fond of poor spelling in topic titles and correct it when I can...but this one had passed me by.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 3:18 pm

I yews a spellin chequer - but even that sometimes fails me

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 3:41 pm

Ahhhhhhhh! Much better. My headache is going already!
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 4:02 pm

Pops - Fortunateley Malcolm is very acomodating

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 4:08 pm

-pops- wrote:
Ahhhhhhhh! Much better. My headache is going already!
We'll soon find a way of making it ache again. 👽 👽

Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Nice try Alan....very funny
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 5:28 pm

I'm out of here!
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 5:29 pm

davo wrote:
I'm out of here!

Where are you going?

Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 5:32 pm

andsome wrote:
davo wrote:
I'm out of here!

Where are you going?

where they speak strine ! bye
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 pm

I hope you're just joking Dave.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oxxidental Jottings   Oxxidental  Jottings - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oxxidental Jottings
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Popular Topics :: Public Bar and Lounge-
Jump to: