Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

How To Achieve Domestic Bliss Empty
PostSubject: How To Achieve Domestic Bliss   How To Achieve Domestic Bliss EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 4:04 am

It is important for men to remember that as women grow older it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as they did when they were younger. When men notice this, they should show consideration by not making an issue of it.

Let me relate how I handle the situation.............

When I took early retirement some years ago, it became necessary for my wife to get a full-time job for the extra income and future pension benefits that we need. She managed to get a job at B&Q stacking shelves 8 till 6 each day.

It was shortly after she started working at this job that I noticed that she was beginning to show her age. I usually got home from golf or a day out with the lads about the same time she got home from work. Although she knew how hungry I was, she almost always said that she had to rest for half an hour or so before she started to get the dinner. I tried not to moan when this happened. Instead, I used to tell her to take her time. I understood that she was not as young as she used to be so I would tell her to wake me when she finally got the dinner on the table.

She eventually had to give up work – which was good because it was intruding in her domestic duties. Hence we are both now fully retired and on an equal footing. However – in life – some are more equal than others.

She used to wash and dry the dishes as soon as we finished eating. It is now not unusual for them to sit on the table for a couple of hours after dinner. I do help by reminding her several times each evening during the TV commercials that they aren't cleaning themselves. I know she appreciates this, as it does seem to encourage her get them done before she goes to bed.

Our clothes airing cupboard is on the first floor landing. When she was younger, she used to be able to go up and down the stairs several times a day and not get tired. Now that she is older she seems to get tired so much more quickly. Sometimes she says she just can't make another trip up and down the stairs to collect the laundry to be ironed. I don't make a big issue of this. As long as she finishes the ironing the next evening - I am willing to overlook it. I tell her to wait until the next evening to do the ironing unless I need a clean shirt to wear to the Monday's lodge meeting or to Wednesday's or Saturday's bridge club or to Tuesday's or Thursday's bowling or something like that. This gives her more time to do some of the other chores - like shampooing the dog, vacuuming, polishing my shoes or dusting. Also, if I have had a really good day fishing, she can gut and scale the fish at a more leisurely pace.

For some reason she is starting to complain a little occasionally. Not often, mind you, but just enough for me to notice.

For example, she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to get the shopping or pay the monthly bills during her busy day. In spite of her complaining, I continue to try to offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two or even three days. That way she won't have to rush so much. I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any, if you know what I mean.

When doing simple jobs she seems to think she needs more rest periods than she used to have to take. A couple of weeks ago she said she had to take a break when she was only half finished weeding the garden, pruning the hedges and mowing the lawns. I overlook comments like these because I realize it's just age talking. In fact, I try to not embarrass her when she needs these little extra rest breaks. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. I tell her that as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me or get me a beer and take her break by the hammock so she can rock it and talk to me until I fall asleep.

I could go on and on, but I think you know where I'm coming from. I realise that I probably look like a saint in the way I support her on a daily basis. I'm not saying that the ability to show this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult, some will find it impossible. No one knows better than I do how frustrating women can become as they get older. My purpose in writing this is simply to suggest that you make the effort.

I realize that achieving the exemplary levels of kindness and consideration that I have attained is out of reach for the average man. However guys, even if you just yell at your wife a little less often because of this article, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: How To Achieve Domestic Bliss   How To Achieve Domestic Bliss EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 8:22 am

I will try and bear all this in mind in the future. cool

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

How To Achieve Domestic Bliss 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: How To Achieve Domestic Bliss   How To Achieve Domestic Bliss EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 10:06 am

You don't seem to be all that sincere - you could make it a new year resolution.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: How To Achieve Domestic Bliss   How To Achieve Domestic Bliss EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 11:48 am

AlanHo wrote:
You don't seem to be all that sincere - you could make it a new year resolution.

I don't make them

Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: How To Achieve Domestic Bliss   How To Achieve Domestic Bliss EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 11:49 am

Then you need to resolve to make a resolution for 2017 and follow my teachings. cool

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How To Achieve Domestic Bliss   How To Achieve Domestic Bliss EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 1:29 pm

Very good advice Alan. I will bear that in mind for the next time I don't get married. cool
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: How To Achieve Domestic Bliss   How To Achieve Domestic Bliss EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 1:35 pm

Glad you liked it Gandalph - I have been married 3 times - so I know stuff.

Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: How To Achieve Domestic Bliss   How To Achieve Domestic Bliss EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 3:52 pm

AlanHo wrote:
Glad you liked it Gandalph - I have been married 3 times - so I know stuff.

Obviously a masochist. drum

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To Achieve Domestic Bliss   How To Achieve Domestic Bliss Empty

Back to top Go down

How To Achieve Domestic Bliss
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Popular Topics :: Fake News-
Jump to: