HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tales from down under

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

tales from down under Empty
PostSubject: tales from down under   tales from down under EmptyTue Oct 25, 2016 1:37 am

Watch Out for the Killer Blow!

Some people up these parts go hunting for wild cattle or even tame cattle if they can get away with it. They drive through the bush in a 4X drive of course with a strong roo bar on the front. The advise I was given was always keep ya driver window AND passenger window closed unless you don’t like the passenger much.
Here is what often happens:

If you are quick enough you can hit a cattle side on which often kills it. The cattle hits the roo bar and flips over horizontally onto the bonnet and can often dent  it and if you are unfortunate the legs can enter the front driving window!
However the last thing the shocked and/or dead cattle does as it lays on the bonnet is let out a lot of win and shit – you are often still moving at this point and if your windows are open – guess what think projectile!!

murgs dance
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: tales from down under   tales from down under EmptyTue Oct 25, 2016 4:03 am

LOL! I never hunted cattle Davo but we did shoot roos when somebody told us we would get 1/6d a lb for the meat which would be collected at a certain point at a certain time. We sat for 3 days waiting for the frig truck for 3 days with temperatures up to 35 degrees C until we left the whole stinking mess behind a tree and buggered off!

-----------------------------------------
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: tales from down under   tales from down under EmptySat Dec 24, 2016 11:03 pm

A salutary lesson in spelling [spell check on!]

on arriving many moons ago to this beautiful land down under I worked for a govt organization who asked me to attend a conference in Sydney or Melbourne. I was indeed honored and excited about being able to travel across this great land and be paid at the same time!

I did a small presentation for the committee who had selected me. I spoke about the camaraderie [spell check still on] between OZ and our smaller cousins the kiwis in Newzealand - the committee pointed out the error of my spelling in no uncertain terms. Being a brash and much younger risk taker in those days I retorted " well does it matter whether it is small or big??

Ciderman will put me right - right Ciderman AND I now have some in-laws who are from NZ but are the real ones the Maoris. A salutary lesson in deed!

how does that song go zippezee do dah zipperzee day??
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: tales from down under   tales from down under EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 12:15 am

When I was 10 foot tall, bullet proof 20 year old, travelling in weird parts of the world, it was the accepted thing that in times of stress if we couldn't have a Kiwi watching our back we'll have an Aussie. We have a lot of competitive spirit with our neighbours across the Tasman, but when push comes to shove, were mates! yes

Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: tales from down under   tales from down under EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 2:03 am

I'm wiv ya on dat one!
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: tales from down under   tales from down under EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 11:50 pm

well in the passage of time all good things must come to a close plus I am tired of playing with grandchildren and listening to my sons weird music. the food was excellent and I must admit I was treated to a wide selection of beverages. so before the next cyclone starts forming I must pack me few things in the car and head off home. no little tipple with me coffee this morning and must watch out for the pigs! batman
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: tales from down under   tales from down under EmptySat Dec 31, 2016 12:18 am

but before departing I was treated to my DIL farewell Thai breakfast:

pad krapow moo [no not cow]
yam makua
sarm chan yang

beautiful flavors and there is a great temptation to eat too much. and I ate mine without complimentary  rice.

an uneventful ride back apart from some brahman cows who suddently appeared out of the bush as they do and ignoring me starting crossing the road - the rule with kangas is either speed up or slow down depending - but with cows always slow down and be prepared to stop. the bulls had long horns and can easily pierce the radiator. the road was almost empty and tourists have long gone - they don't like the stormy weather. one of the great dangers is just nodding off!

home to find two horses wandering around our T junction which belonged to my niece in-law - they had escaped from the paddock AGAIN! - so had to help tether them and march them back to a new paddock whilst the old is inspected for escape routes. they were happily munching road side grass when we found them!

I thought I was coming back to a pristine home and environs but NO - still a work in progress - should have stayed longer! sweep
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: tales from down under   tales from down under EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 12:49 am

Did I tell of my journey from Perth in a smallish 7 seater plane way up to Meekathara? Had to find the small airport to start off with way out of town, but the taxi driver knew where it was. Only had a small bag which was good cos there ain’t much luggage space in those planes. But it felt exciting and off we took only to be told by the pilot that we were not flying direct but stopping and some small homesteads to drop off and pick up stuff – could have been hash for all I knew and I was then working with the alcohol and drug authority!

The flight always starts off exciting and then gets boring not sure whether we even got out to stretch our feet, probably did. Then finally the haul to Meeka as the locals call it. I had been used to long haul travel across OZ on big planes so had forgotten the nuances of small plane travel.

We arrived at Meeka and there was a hospital porter with 4x drive to meet us and transport me to the digs – hospital quarters -  nurses quarters! He asked me quite politely “got any luggage?” – yes I said I’ll just wait in the terminal until it arrives. He had a silly grin on his face and said “it’ll take a long time going back to Perth and maybe coming back in a week or two”? Up here laddie you pull ya own luggage out of the hold – there’s no airport porter service with a bag trolley service. I walked meekly back to the plane were the pilot was still fiddling with things “thought you’d be back “ he retorted with a grin, it happens all the time! Get use to the bush ya not in the city now!
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: tales from down under   tales from down under EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 1:10 am

When we were driving through the outback we gave a lift to an elderly aboriginal . As we drove along we asked him all sorts of questions about the bush that surrounded us. One of us asked him how long he had been here. "About 50,000 years " he said.  yes

Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: tales from down under   tales from down under EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 7:53 am

I like his style!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tales from down under   tales from down under Empty

Back to top Go down

tales from down under
Page 1 of 1