malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 5:53 am

Hello and Welcome davo
We are a small but friendly forum
Why not tell us a little bit about yourself and how you found us ?
Anything you need in the way of forum info ... just ask !
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi all - hail originally from Liverpool in the 40-50's when life was calm,sometimes dull but never very violent!

left in the late 70's for Hong Kong and lived and worked there for 3 years - had a genetic yen for travel - then came back for a wee while and seen anarchy in the classrooms so with two young kids headed for OZ where I already had a job offer and UK friends - I think 50% of OZ are brits. still love the place but need to get used to 37C daily temps - indoors and aircon helps! Met Mal on another site and thought I'd check this out. Old hand at this game and have calmed down over the years!

davo
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Great to have you aboard Dave, I hope your presence will generate a bit of life here, and please feel free to invite your friends here too.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 1:58 pm

forgot to add a few more bits and pieces - having lived in city suburbs in OZ for most of my existence out here finally realized my dream or half a dream - bought an 8 acre 'block' with the wife which has a main house and a granny flat within stone throwing distance for guests and family mainly.

last job I had was visiting 'stations' to support Indigenous apprentices learning the cattle business and loved the idea of owning a cattle station but they come in the millions so I settled for a homestead on a block where we have wallabies, blue tongued lizards and a few baby pythons as well as the ubiquitous galahs who fly past day and night. we also have two dogs that I take on patrol each morning at 5.30am a really cool time of the day 25C and the time to get all those garden jobs done before it heats up to mid 30's.

We only  have two seasons here in the top end, the Kimberleys, the wet and the dry - just finishing the dry and praying for rain which we enjoy immensely until it gets heavy with the cyclones and the roads become impassible - but all the fun of the outback - I would recommend it.

I must admit I do feel more aussie than a brit but still have family over there and cling to my heritage like a limpit!

I think i did look more like George Harrison than any of the other beatles but will eventually find one of me in real life out bush technicolor!
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Davo - welcome from a fellow new member.

Perhaps I read it wrong - but it appears you are well off the beaten track there in Oz. That being the case - how do you fare with getting an internet connection. I have friends in Tasmania, Perth and even Sydney who all moan about the dire connections they have to put up with.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 9:25 pm

Welcome Davo! Good to see some extra support from the Southern Hemisphere.  :;smile:  You sound a bit like me in that I left the UK in 1952 when my dad was on loan from the RN to the RNZN for 3 years but he liked it here so he opted out and we stayed. I've been back 3 times and although I had an enjoyable time I think he made the right choice. Worked in Oz for about a year in Queensland and Tasmania. Feel like an ANZAC now! :;smile:. We had a "lifestyle" of about 6 acres, lots of trees, chickens, sheep, grapes,fruit trees etc but downsized when the kids all left home. Now I'm an essential part of our local Settlers Museum, although I don't stand still in case they put a label on me! :;smile:

Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
davo
davo

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 8:49 am

thanks for the welcomes - not really too far off the beaten track  -  there is beaten track AND BEATEN TRACK out here! - we live 5mins from our local small country town of popn 6000, two fuel stations; 3 pubs and 1 WW then all those other small stores you love. take away the town and then it would be off the beaten track. I can get to a larger coastal town in 2hrs driving where my son works and lives and there are 5 other towns spaced out in a region that takes me 12 hrs to get from the west to the east. after being brought up in small UK I like big!

internet is no problem here for some reason  and I survive on a usb but could have a phone and wifi operating. they [govt] are making great efforts to provide good services to the rural people. Seen a great show on tv the other day "back roads of usa" there were some amazing towns with popn under 500 with history  of the pony express going through etc. I guess I  just like 'wild' and I'm sure there are spots in NZ too. OZ has still a great fondness and chumness with NZ unless we are playing cricket.
or rugby!!

alanho I think your friends are complaining about  not having superspeeds - we don't like or need them out here - we learn to like slow! - we chat through the WW teller queue rather than rush through. we chat everywhere - probably faster than the net!

we have our own golf course and race track, sports centre for the kids and gym for the oldies and I can survive on a tank of gas for a month.
Back to top Go down
sags
Ex-member
Ex-member
sags

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi Davo, from the forum pig.   teacup
Back to top Go down
The Beast
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
The Beast

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Greeting Davo, welcome to the forum.
Sounds as if you have spent a longtime away from the UK. I left the Uk 35 yrs ago and have spent 32 yrs here in Spain.
My childhood was spent travelling as my Father was in the military services. I went to 26 different schools in 14 different counties by the time I was 16.....
Its is nice to see a few new names about the forum, long may it continue.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Mine is not a new name - I have had it for 79.7 years

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 9:45 pm

sometimes in my 'dreaming' times I wished I had never left UK, spent more time with my parents, got married to my local sweetheart and finished up with a nice NHS pension which my mates did.However when I read about the mess you are in now I know I made the right decision! murgs dance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Welcome davo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome davo   Welcome davo Empty

Back to top Go down

Welcome davo
Page 1 of 1