Go down 
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

FIRE!! Empty
PostSubject: FIRE!!   FIRE!! EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 3:58 pm

We acquired 6 years ago a Dimplex Opti Myst electric fire – or rather Libby did. It was a discontinued demonstration model in a Kenilworth Fireplace Shop window. At that time the list price was £565 and it was being sold for £350. 

Libby found a couple of scratches on the brass front and a slight deformation of the brass surround, haggled the price down to £200 and came home in triumph. The scratches are insignificant and I was able to straighten the surround. No-one would notice that it isn’t perfect.

It is a standard lounge inset electric fan heater but with a twist. It contains a water tank which feeds a microwave generator which vapourises the water and it is emitted, looking just like smoke,  through a bed of very realistic fake logs. It is illuminated by small red halogen lamps under the logs.  The tank needs to be refilled after 10 to 12 hours running time

This is it.

https://youtu.be/uEokHPnFGLw

We had a funny incident with it. 

A contractor visited to measure up and quote us for a replacement conservatory. It was a bitterly cold day and when he finished, he came into the lounge for a chat. The fire was on – but not the heater – so it was illuminated and the “smoke” rising. The fire was stone cold though.

He walked over to the fire and “warmed” his hands – thinking it was logs smouldering. I hadn’t the heart to tell him it was cold.  He has not been the only one to think we had a log fire.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down

FIRE!!
Page 1 of 1