6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Television in general Empty
PostSubject: Television in general   Television in general EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 9:32 am

Some people prefer not to watch television, branding programmes as 'crap' or not worth watching at best. True that many programmes are not suitable for all tastes but with the number of Freeview or Freesat programmes there are to chose from these days, I think it blinkered to condemn watching television in general. There are some pretty informative programmes to be found, as there are good dramas.

It can be compared to reading books. There are books that are rubbish in some peoples' opinions but we just don't read those ones and choose a different one. 

I think the main thing is not to condemn or look down on another person's choice of the way education or entertainment is fed into the brain, be that by book or television. One is not more intelligent than the other as can be implied sometimes.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:12 am

I think this is having a little dig at me Mart, but you are quite correct in what you say.
Our problem is finding suitable daytime viewing on terrestrial TV that both of us can share that comes with subtitles and is not childish nonsense, or very old films that have been repeatedly re-aired for many years.
We do not watch evening TV ! (after 6 pm ) our schedule is early nights and early mornings so that makes us very limited in our choice.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 3:17 pm

I have to admit that it was a remark about morons that made me post Malcolm but it isn't only that. People who have the same opinion of TV transmissions are all around. Somehow implying that those watching TV to any great degree are dafter than readers of books. Moreover, some seem quite proud of not lowering themselves by owning a TV at all.

I have to say that some books I've got halfway through and given up on seemed rubbish to me. Some can even be quite wrong in the facts they weave into stories. They mention events or items that weren't around at that time. One avid reader in our family grumbles about that quite a bit and says the poor research of the writer has spoiled the story. TV programmes and dramas are often better researched in my opinion.

I suppose we all have different preferences in life. Some are going to find reading a book preferable to watching TV. Some would rather watch TV than read a book. Neither are morons.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 4:39 pm

My apologies to you Mart ... the term morons was a generalisation and certainly not meant for you.
You are the last person in the world that I could refer to in that manner
I know you love your TV and are very selective in your viewing watching only the best TV
I hope you can forgive my senseless remark.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 5:34 pm

It's OK Malcolm, no apology needed. I never get really upset about anything these days. If we were face to face, I'd have been saying the words with disarming body language, more conversational than critical. Hard to get just the right tone on a forum. Friends we are.  yes
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 5:48 pm

Thank god for that...we are friends indeed.
Just to add to the topic.... I'll bet you'll be watching Brassic 3 on Sky, written, produced, directed and starring Joseph Gilgun
who just happens to be Mrs Mal's grandson !
We of course don't watch it, too much obscene language and we only have Freeview anyway !!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 5:53 pm

I haven't got Sky. I have got Netflix but have stopped watching a film or series on there because of foul language. A shame that a good story or series is sometimes spoiled by that.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 8:35 pm

The best TV I have seen in ages was the 4 night Manhunt series "The Night Stalker" on ITV last week starring Matin Clunes playing the role of DC Sutton in a true story about a serial rapist sought by police for 17 years.

I found it compelling viewing - as I have done with most programmes Martin Clunes has apperared in.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:21 pm

I haven't seen that but from 'Men Behaving Badly' to other rolls, Martin Clunes is a great British actor.

I just watched a very informative programme on the career and ultimate exposure of Kim Philby on BBC Four (Kim Philby - His Most Intimate Betrayal).
Back to top Go down
The Beast
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
The Beast

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyWed Sep 29, 2021 6:03 pm

We haven't watched terrestial tv for many a year and tend to download drama series and programmes we are interested in as and when.
I tend to agree with MM on the content of mainstream independent evening tv programming.....Mainly a mind numbing borefest of shallow, low browed tat, mass produced for a similar, shallow, low browed audience.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyWed Sep 29, 2021 7:52 pm

The Beast wrote:
Mainly a mind numbing borefest of shallow, low browed tat, mass produced for a similar, shallow, low browed audience.[/b]

Rubbish.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyFri Oct 01, 2021 12:18 pm

I have Amazon Fire and while I agree that there is a lot of rubbish on there I can usually find something to watch.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptyFri Oct 01, 2021 3:14 pm

We are both totally irritated by the intrusive adverts that are inserted within and between programmes on the commercial channels. 

Also the intrusive ads about their own programmes which the BBC now insert between programmes. 

Hence we tend to record programmes on our Humax and watch them later, so we can fast forward through the adverts.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptySat Oct 02, 2021 12:26 pm

Some Ads really do annoy me, especially that woman with a secret weapon "in her pants"!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general EmptySat Oct 02, 2021 7:14 pm

I watched a documentary on the life and times of Henry Ford this afternoon (PBS America). An interesting story. He turned out to be a bit of a tyrant in his later years.

All the free channels have to be ad supported I suppose. I find them annoying when channel hopping. No matter what channel is switched to, they're all showing adverts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Television in general   Television in general Empty

Back to top Go down

Television in general
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next