Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket Empty
PostSubject: A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket   A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket EmptyMon Aug 02, 2021 4:05 pm

If you have a Morrisons supermarket near you they have an irresistible special offer.

A 4 tin pack of Napolina peeled plum tomatoes in a rich tomato sauce for £3.50.  They are my favourite brand.

Their price for one tin is £0.75.

Breath-taking innit.

I was able to avoid temptation and bought 4 separate tins.

When I returned home I checked their website in case it was an error by just our local store. It isn't

https://groceries.morrisons.com/search?entry=Naplolina%20plum%20tomatoes

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket   A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket EmptyMon Aug 02, 2021 5:23 pm

That's no bargain Alan .... Plum tomatoes or chopped tomatoes at Aldi are just 28p per can, and are as good as any others from anywhere.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket   A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket EmptyMon Aug 02, 2021 6:50 pm

Libby uses Aldi tinned tomatoes for cooking and making various tomato based sauces.

I enjoy a "Non posh" meal of Lincolnshire Sausages and Napolina tomatoes with garlic bread. All the supermarket own brand tomatoes are too watery  - plus some are stringy and too tough - for my taste. I have to have a thick rich sauce and don't mind paying an extra 47p for it.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket   A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket EmptyTue Aug 03, 2021 6:03 am

All Italian canned tomatoes on sale here come from the same canning factories they just put on different labels for their different customers
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket   A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket EmptyTue Aug 03, 2021 9:04 am

It is peobably the case that UK supermarkets own brand tomatoes are canned here in the same factories from a blend of UK grown and imported tomatoes.

However, the best plum tomatoes are grown in places like southern Italy - where the levels of sunshine and the unique soil conditions produce the optimum flavour, sweetness and acidity not attainable in more northern locations. They are expensive to produce which is reflected in their higher prices.

Napolina tomatoes are grown in southern Italy and canned in their own factory in Puglia.

However - they are not the best you can buy.  Universally used by chefs are a tomato variety named San Marzano. They are in another league, but far too expensive for my use. Waitrose sell Mutti San Marzano, a 400g tin costs £2.00. I have tried a tin and they really are special - but not special enough for my use - so Napolina is a very satisfactory compromise. 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket   A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket Empty

Back to top Go down

A big Bargain At Morrisons Supermarket
Page 1 of 1