4 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Smart Motorways Empty
PostSubject: Smart Motorways   Smart Motorways EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 8:00 pm

I am getting frustrated and concerned about the dialogue in the media regarding the danger of stationery cars on the hard shoulder of a smart motorway when it is open to traffic.

My crude research produced the following.

There are 2300 miles of motorways in the UK including smart motorways
There are 100 deaths per year on motorways
Hence deaths per 100 miles = 4.2 per year

There are 400 miles of smart motorways in the UK
There have been 38 deaths on smart motorways in 5 years = 7.6 deaths per year.
Hence deaths per 100 miles = 1.9 per year

It seems to me that smart motorways are reducing the overall death rate which would come down even further if better monitoring of stationary vehicles on all motorways was improved and people would evacuate their stationary vehicles and get to the other side of the safety barrier - even in smart refuges

Both side of the argument have rightfully pointed out that in the past 5 years a total of 38 people have died in or near their vehicle when stationery on a smart motorway, despite the fact that when the hard shoulder is in use – the speed limit for the motorway is significantly reduced.

They also fail to remind us that in a typical year, over 100 are killed on a motorway which has not yet been made smart, in an accident with a stationary vehicle on the hard shoulder. About 75% of which have remained in or about their vehicle and have not, as advised, evacuated the vehicle and waited the other side of the safety barrier.

Neither are we reminded that there are hundreds (if not thousands) of miles of A roads which have dual carriageway without hard shoulders, safety barriers on the left, or regular refuges, that retain the 70 mph speed limit. I cannot find any information about deaths on these roads involving stationary vehicles. My bet is there are plenty. I can’t recall any public furore about such A roads and have yet to see any mention of the anomaly in the recent furore.

The motorway nearest to my home is the M42 which was a traffic gridlock nightmare before it was made into a smart motorway several years ago and serious accidents were daily. It now has less accidents and has improved traffic flow at peak times when the hard shoulder is open.

I can only conclude that whilst deaths associated with stationary cars on smart shoulders is regrettable – it is the price we pay for the overall reduction in deaths on motorways. If it was made an offence to stay in the vehicle, and people complied, the death rate would be much reduced.

I just wish the present media frenzy took a more clinical and balanced view and that the government don’t make a hasty decision either way.

The trend over the past 10 years has been government’s knee jerk response to the loudest clarion call by vociferous minorities under the illusion it is popular opinion. “Popular opinion is stronger than the truth" appears to be the foundation stone of both politics and journalism. How else do intelligent psychopaths (Hitler/Trump/Blair/Bush et al) get into power.

Unfortunately, the apathy of too many allows the minority to tug them along by the nose. The truth takes effort. We blame politicians and journalists but we should really be looking in the mirror and asking ourselves "Why are we allowing this to happen........everyday of our lives".

Socrates (in the alleged home of democracy), was asked why he didn't run for political office in Athens. "Because honesty and politics don't mix", was his reply. No surprise then that the most honest man in Athens was forced to drink hemlock because he was seen to be "corrupting the youth of Athens".
Not much has changed – has it?

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Smart Motorways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smart Motorways   Smart Motorways EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 9:09 pm

There are cases, though relatively rare, where people can't get out of their cars and behind the barrier. I appreciate smart motorways can't base design around a minority but I have to say that we felt safer when the motorways had hard shoulders, regardless of statistics.

I think a live lane breakdown would be a real danger for us. Mrs mart would be able to get out of the car OK but having transferred to the wheelchair, wouldn't be able to get behind the barrier. In our case, the safer option might be to stay in the car but then again maybe not. A dilemma. I certainly wouldn't get behind the barrier myself and leave her a sitting duck. We'd either survive or not together.

We are a minority though but will be unlikely to risk driving on a motorway with no hard shoulder ..perhaps along with all the others that are part of that minority.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Smart Motorways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smart Motorways   Smart Motorways EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 10:52 pm

Mart  I sYmpathise with your dilemma - perhaps consider getting out of the car - transfer your wife to the wheel chair and walk down the hard shoulder away from the front of the car for at least 100 yards and wait as close to the barrier as possible. If something ploughed into your car you would be away from it

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Smart Motorways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smart Motorways   Smart Motorways EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 11:46 pm

Yes, that might be the thing to do. Best to hope it's never put to the test. The M.3 is our local smart motorway but the A.30 runs parallel to it and we can always use that.

The motorways around here are a real rat race these days. The fist time I drove on the M.3 after it was made smart, I wanted to get onto the M.25 towards Gatwick. All the lane markings were different I got into the wrong one. Not one driver would let me change lane. They'd sooner have seen me go to Heathrow rather than let me in. In the end I just squeezed over until someone had to give way. Much hooting of course.

We used to visit friends in Doncaster and Withernsea. Although busy, the motorways seem a lot more sane in the North. The one from Doncaster to Cleethorpes was always particularly empty. Maybe the somewhat lighter traffic would give a different impression of motorway safety, smart or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Smart Motorways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smart Motorways   Smart Motorways EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 12:44 pm

I found the M3 a nightmare on my annual trips to Tolpuddle in my old Bedford Campervan, which was very slow and hadn't got very good mirrors.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

Smart Motorways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smart Motorways   Smart Motorways EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 8:19 pm

erthm no not got none in oz - we all drive drunk and have a happy time and much prefer gettin onto a gravel ride or sand is even better - great foe falling out of cars
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Smart Motorways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smart Motorways   Smart Motorways Empty

Back to top Go down

Smart Motorways
Page 1 of 1