Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned Empty
PostSubject: Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned   Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 7:57 pm

Way back in 1940 my dad was conscripted into the army and I didn’t see him again until he returned home from Burma in 1947 during the Christmas holiday.

My mother was unable to afford the family home in 1941 and moved into a house next door to her parents. It had been vacated when the owners evacuated for the duration of the war. We were allowed to stay there until a new council house was available in mid 1948.

My maternal grandfather was an alcoholic and though I didn’t realise it at the time - a chauvinist and wife beater. My mother and her 2 brothers and 4 sisters did not have a happy upbringing and before I came along my mother and two aunts joined the Temperance Society. Despite the difficulties my parents faced in those years, I had a happy childhood despite a strict upbringing where manners and respect for others, especially ladies, were insisted upon. Breaches were rewarded by a crack with her favourite wooden spoon.

To this day – the manners drummed into me as a young boy and teenager live on. I am a walking, talking, example of being frozen in time and a poor fit in modern society where good manners, respect for others, honesty and common sense are being steadily eroded.  I could compete with  Jacob Rees-Mogg in conservatism (with a small C)

Some of my more Woke friends rib me about it – but it’s a bit like the ability to ride a bike – once you get used to it, it’s something you never forget.

These are just some of my old habits – in no particular order – listed as they spring to mind whilst I type this.

Stand up to greet someone

Walk on the kerb-side of the pavement when with a lady

No elbows on tables (plus no phone on the table nowadays)

Open and close doors for ladies, elderly and infirm. Thank those who do it for you.

Stand up when a lady first enters the room

Don’t start eating until everyone is sat at the table and served

Be punctual

Take your turn in queues

Take and make phone calls out of the room when in company

Switch the TV off when visitors arrive

Never use bad language in polite company

Eat with your mouth closed. Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.

Don’t yawn in company

Though it doesn’t apply to me now – control your kids not just at home but when in company. Badly behaved brats in shops and restaurants infuriate me.

Maintain eye contact when in conversation

Offer your seat to ladies and those who clearly need one

Good manners and proper behaviour don't cost - am I now a grumpy old man living in the past?

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned   Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 12:50 pm

Come mothers and fathers throughout the land
And don't criticise what you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'

The line it is drawn, the curse it is cast
The slowest now, will later be fast
As the present now will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin'
And the first one now will later be last
'Cause the times they are a-changin'

Songwriters: Bob Dylan
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned   Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 1:53 pm

Very appropriate Purwell

But the only things I change are my underwear - every month.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned   Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 8:12 pm

udnerwear you should be so lucky what'sthat?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned   Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned Empty

Back to top Go down

Childhood Memories and Lessons Learned
Page 1 of 1