Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Getting hotter in Oz Empty
PostSubject: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 am

Temps of 50+ in Oz are forecast !

BBC Story
Back to top Go down
https://murgatroyds.forumotion.net
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 12:41 pm

can you meet us at the wharfs we're coming back!!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Do you get acclimatised to such high temperatures Davo?
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 8:51 pm

if you look at the acclimatization physiology bumpf the human body does acclimatize itself after about 3 mths as we change climes - but that being said I  think any  natives of any parts can still handle it better - I found that In HK and here in OZ
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Yes, I heard/read that it takes about 3 months to get properly used to a climate. I suppose that would apply to cold places as well.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 5:38 am

I presume that to be the case. I also noticed that whilst playing various sports with my Chinese  colleagues they appeared to sweat noticeable less than I did - on studying that I found a complex explanation of varying different glands with asiatics producing less body odor than europeans. Also because of the diary diet we tended to use more they would in intimate circles claim that we smelt like 'cows'

whilst spending some time with my son in Thailand I discovered that whilst walking from one part of his campus to another on a moonless night everything was pitch black - I could not even see my hand in front of my face whereas my son who had walked that way for countless times could do it with ease - my research studies did NOT suggest that thais can see better in the dark!!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 am

Maybe more carrots are in the diet in Thailand Davo. That's what my Mum used to say carrots were good for anyway. :) That myth was apparently something that started in WW II (see here).

The trouble with UK is that we never have time to get acclimatised to any temperature. 3 months of any sort of stable temperature just doesn't happen. I think that would be why we can complain about the heat and the cold more than people who live in other parts of the World. UK doesn't have a climate as such, it could be more described as 'weather'. Comes as part of being an island on the edge of the Atlantic maybe.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 8:24 am

weather or not heh? another fascinating study is how weather affects social mores - for example when one stops to greet an old friend in the street in HK one always asks " have you eaten yet if not lets go for a meal"

wheras in UK I could imagine " morning looks about thundery today maybe  rain later"?
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 am

The weather is nearly always a topic of conversation when meeting people ..because it is so variable and effects how a person might handle the day. For instance, the weather is expected to be dry and sunny for the rest of the day, so I plan on a bike ride later. If rain was expected, no ride. To do the garden or not to do the garden depends on the day's weather too. Even a day out does.

It's no wonder we're always talking about the weather and it forms part of the greeting when we meet people. :)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 11:28 am

Our weather is incredibly changeable, not only from day to day but from hour to hour, we are influenced by a lot of outside forces, the jet stream being the most influential and of course our position on the globe.
The good thing is of course that we don't suffer from extremes, but we do get one hell of a lot of rainfall.
I check the BBC forecast each and every day but they rarely get it right and change their forecasts to aftercasts by changing what they have said to reflect what has happened instead of foretelling what is going to happen...I find this most aggravating and annoying.
Back to top Go down
https://murgatroyds.forumotion.net
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 12:48 pm

some have forecast rain here tomorrow after 9 mths with none - I dont believe them but they may surprise me!
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz EmptyMon Nov 06, 2017 12:57 am

we did have some little rain which we enjoyed but not monsoonal but it does this every year teaze us before the 'big wet'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting hotter in Oz   Getting hotter in Oz Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting hotter in Oz
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Popular Topics :: Public Bar and Lounge-
Jump to: