Ciderman
davo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: our dear old dog   our dear old dog EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 10:00 am

we've had Suzie for approx 10yrs - inherited from some friends. she came with a multitude of hidden illnesses but was usually reasonable fit and loved chasing kangas and possums. she is a dog!

her arthritis got so bad once she couldn't walk at all and we really thought she was on her way out. but we used Meloxicam first an injection and then 1ml per day injected into balls of meat and that did the trick - she is of course deaf and almost blind but on an 8.5acre block now knows her way around and spends her days sleeping either outside or in. she can at the moment canter and sometimes break into quite a fast run - so she does seem to be still enjoyng life and knows she is surrounded by all who love her. she still has tussles with the younger dog Lucky and of course she and the cat were brought up as soul mates so occasionally have a rub and a kiss. I do dread her passing on it will be sad for all of us but we have plenty of land in which to bury her. but life just won't be the same without her cry
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: our dear old dog   our dear old dog EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 10:52 am

I do know how you feel Davo. We had a Rhodesian Ridgeback for 14 years. A fun member of the family, played with the grandkids, chased anything we threw but eventually his back end wouldn't work, the vet came to our house and administered a lethal injection and without a whimper his eyes slowly closed. All really sad but inevitable.
our dear old dog K70rI24l

-----------------------------------------
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!

Last edited by Ciderman on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: our dear old dog   our dear old dog EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 11:39 am

Funny thing about dogs is that they always want to please their owners. The owner might be in a good mood or a bad mood. They might order the dog on its bed ..or even out of the house and yet, when the owner is ready to make a fuss of it, the dog has never taken offence and happily gives its affection.

Maybe that's why many of us love dogs. They forgive us anything and are always ready to be a friend no matter what. Wow! yes. When the time comes, it is terribly upsetting to see them die.

Our old girl was 17 years old when I had to do it. She was incontinent and she could hardly haul her back legs along. I knew it was time and took her to the Vets. I know she was frightened because she poo'd on the floor. She fought a bit as the needle went in and then went sleepy ..then she was gone. Sad

This was all many years ago but I still feel guilty and upset about it. I'll bet she never thought I could possibly do anything like that to her.

Judy
our dear old dog XhhEzNX
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: our dear old dog   our dear old dog EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Dogs don't 'forgive'.....they live in 'the now' like most of the animal kingdom
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: our dear old dog   our dear old dog EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 3:38 pm

They do remember their friends though. 
A friend of mine that I only see about every 3 or 4 months has a Jack Russell that knows I am on the garden path long before I get to ring the door bell, never reacts to strangers, just friends.
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: our dear old dog   our dear old dog EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 10:31 pm

Not sure I agree there Mal. The dog above had a very nasty beginning and was found at the local dump as a puppy. He was always friendly and gentle with strangers and friends but if anyone wore a 'beanie' hat, he ran for cover. Some years ago I read an article by a so called expert who said that dogs (and other animals) don't dream. I only have to look at our dog when he's asleep to see him running and twitching.

-----------------------------------------
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
davo
davo

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: our dear old dog   our dear old dog EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 12:23 am

well how come elephants never forget?? AND cheetahs are ALWAYS cheating? and wombats can't really BAT?
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: our dear old dog   our dear old dog EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 7:52 am

Animals do dream, anyone who's ever had a dog or a cat will tell you that.
Back to top Go down

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: our dear old dog   our dear old dog EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 2:17 pm

malcolm wrote:
Animals do dream, anyone who's ever had a dog or a cat will tell you that.

Quite agree Malcolm. I have had, over the years, quite a few Dog's and when one in particular was sleeping, a Cocker Spaniel named Cindy, you could see her legs going in a dog paddle motion when we were on our holidays. She used to take her morning walk along the beach and had a deep pool she used to take her morning swim in.
Back to top Go down
meerkat12
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
meerkat12

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: our dear old dog   our dear old dog EmptySun Sep 10, 2017 5:31 pm

My two Yorkies are age seven I love them to bits, Still remember my previous dogs, still shed a tear 
when I think about them.
They all gave me great joy and love, they all had different characters.
It's very hard when it's time for them to go but I still have my memories which I cherish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

our dear old dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: our dear old dog   our dear old dog Empty

Back to top Go down

our dear old dog
Page 1 of 1