Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator

constant log in required - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 9:20 am

Absolutely Mart. The 'suspicious activity' problems that have recently occurred with a couple of posters have been about the many IP addresses that have been used by them and are in their forum database when they try to log in.
I must admit that I don't fully understand it, but that does seem to be the reason.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 9:26 am

Purwell wrote:
Most of the time I am logged in automatically but occasionally I have to log in. I thought it coincided with me clearing out the cookies which I  do once a week or so.
Davo, have you got an automatic cookie cleaner running or something like that?

That happens to me for that reason Purwell. I run PrivaZer once in a while and this cleans out cookies cache and just about everything else. It's then necessary to manually log into sites again. The cookie does the remembering after that ..if that's what is wanted.

I use LastPass for storing site login details so, in a way, it doesn't matter if automatic logins via cookies isn't remembered. LastPass can be set to automatically log into sites on an individual basis.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 9:48 am

malcolm wrote:
Absolutely Mart. The 'suspicious activity' problems that have recently occurred with a couple of posters have been about the many IP addresses that have been used by them and are in their forum database when they try to log in.
I must admit that I don't fully understand it, but that does seem to be the reason.

I don't know much about the running of forums but do know that it's possible to ban an IP address. If that person comes back with a different IP address, this can be blocked as well. Hence a login problem.

I was once caught up in a ban because Admin was unable to ban someone on an individual IP address. Something to do with that area being assigned a bunch of IP addresses. They banned all of them and hoped nobody else would be caught up in it. They were and it was me. :) There was a way to contact Admin via e-mail and I eventually got back in.

Something related to login details: I got an e-mail from a forum saying they had removed an advertisement from my signature line because it was against the rules. I hadn't put the ad there and I decided that my login details for that forum had been hacked. It's a good job that placing the ad was all that the hacker did.

The password for that forum was a weak one and so I changed it for something stronger. The incident taught me to always have strong password for any site/forum that needs logging into.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 10:20 am

No one or no IP has ever been banned from this forum, I don't believe in banning, and have never banned anyone from any of the four forums that I have run.
The problem, I believe, is that popular ISP's issue more than one IP for their clients. I have only ever had one ISP whilst I have posted on this forum and, apart from holidays, have always posted from this home address but my records show that I have posted from hundreds of different IP addresses like every other forum member.
So....if someone tries to log in with yet another IP address that has been allocated to them by their ISP and this address has been 'guilty' of offences and has been banned by somewhere else, then perhaps that is the problem.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 14, 2017 8:40 am

Mal my desktop user firefox mozilla keeps telling me that this site is not secure when I need to re-enter my password and has suggested asking you is there anyway you can make it more secure?? -i must confess I don't understand all this technology I am sure you do?

ps just a thought I visit OFF occasionally less frequent than here and I am always logged in automatically?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Can't help you mate, there are no problems with the site....maybe Mart might know
Back to top Go down
https://murgatroyds.forumotion.net
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 4:58 pm

I think the site 'not secure' message and the difficulty logging in are two different problems. The 'not secure' message occurs with other forums too and this is because they use the 'http' protocol and not the secure one of 'https'. True that some forums have gone to https but this something that needs doing at forum host level. I'd think Malclom doesn't have much control over that. More of a Forumotion issue.

When you log into a forum that is not https, it means that your login details are not encrypted as they are with https. This in turn means that your login details could be intercepted and read. However, in 20 my years of using forums I've only had this happen once. A forum in itself doesn't need to be secure as far as I can see because we're all publishing our opinions and comments fairly openly anyway.

If the 'not secure' message is arising by way of an annoying pop-up, then there is something that can be done. Other than that, I'd say not to worry about it.

Regarding the login problem, did you look at those two suggestions made in my earlier post? Also one more. Make sure the time and date are right on the computer ..especially the year. This is can sometimes go unnoticed and the computer time affects the expiry date of cookies.

If these things have already been looked at, try a different browser. Windows 7 comes with Internet Explorer, so you could set that up to remember Murgatroyds login details and see if it does or not.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Well done Mart, I knew you would know....Thank you yes
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 am

well I don't have a automatic cookie cleanser working that's for sure but I do use the email carrier thunderbird which has to accept my emails from an OZ provider Telstra. Interesting story in itself - when I decided to cut with bigpond [telstra] the disconnected my account but actually didn't - I have no account with them that I pay for but my email address remains and if I go back to the original telstra site there used to be hundreds of emails for me which were in turn forwarded on to thunderbird.

I assume they are waiting for me to return and are keeping my mail warm!! there have been some recent problems with this transfer of mail from telstra to thunderbird but the login in issue seems to have ceased for now. no major problem really I can still access murgatroyds and sometimes am logged in and other times just a quick click gets me in - I was rather curious why it was happening
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 am

well I think I've fixed it as the pianist said to the fat lady!! - but still testing now for a while. first probably apologizes to Mal it wasn't this site but you knew that all along didn't you!!

the problem as far as i could ascertain [have to throw in a few big words as a rookie technician] was the big server Telstra that I have been using for years - just recently it seems to be racked with complaints and problems and wouldn't send stuff to me via my little thunderbird platform -[there's another big word!]

to complicate it further I do have of course two other email providers google gmail and yahoo of course and we know that yahoo has had some big issues previously but seems to have rectified them of late.

So now to the crux or nub of the problem - I had to remove all trace of telstra from thunderbird and murgatroyd I think? - got a bit hazy at this point but finally with a bit of help from very helpful addicts on google I manage to delete telstra settings and replace with yahoo - but that big beast [telsra] gets in everywhere so hunting and tracking it down took a few days - Phew thumb
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 6:16 am

Well that's good Dave, I have said before that people's recent log in probs lie with themselves and their computers and not with the forum, albeit unbeknown to them at the time. I believe that here in the UK the ISP BT are responsible for allocating the same IP address to many of its customers.
Here is the proof.....
constant log in required - Page 2 Captur10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

constant log in required
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next