constant log in required

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
davo
davo

constant log in required Empty
PostSubject: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am

everytime I open this site I am constantly required to log in - doesn't matter how many times per day - I don't mind but it's just a bit tedious hug
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 am

How strange...I find I never have to log in !
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 12:19 pm

never mind "how strange" fix it!!
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Out of my control mate, I am good but not God !
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Most of the time I am logged in automatically but occasionally I have to log in. I thought it coincided with me clearing out the cookies which I  do once a week or so.
Davo, have you got an automatic cookie cleaner running or something like that?
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Purwell wrote:
Most of the time I am logged in automatically but occasionally I have to log in. I thought it coincided with me clearing out the cookies which I  do once a week or so.

not that I'm aware of but my mobile phone is constantly making independent changes without my authority so maybe it's catching although to be quite honest I have been making regular alterations to my pc settings manually - maybe it will just calm down?
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 pm

A reason might be that Firefox is set to 'Never remember history'. Firefox won't log you in automatically if the Privacy setting is set to that. Change the setting to 'Remember history'.

If that doesn't help, try clearing the browser cookies, the cache too while you're at it. You will have to log into sites again (make sure the 'Remember me' or 'Log me in automatically' box is ticked) but it will hopefully be OK after that. Worth a try.

Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 12:28 am

OK ta mart will report back later!
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am

malcolm wrote:
How strange...I find I never have to log in !

How strange....fixed it!
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 7:50 am

Well done Mart !.. yes ..what would we do without you ?
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 9:05 am

Davo hasn't said what fixed it but the suggestions were hopefully useful or helped in some way or another.

I think when experiencing a problem that others haven't mentioned, it mostly has to be something amiss at the user end rather than the site.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 9:20 am

Absolutely Mart. The 'suspicious activity' problems that have recently occurred with a couple of posters have been about the many IP addresses that have been used by them and are in their forum database when they try to log in.
I must admit that I don't fully understand it, but that does seem to be the reason.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 9:26 am

Purwell wrote:

That happens to me for that reason Purwell. I run PrivaZer once in a while and this cleans out cookies cache and just about everything else. It's then necessary to manually log into sites again. The cookie does the remembering after that ..if that's what is wanted.

I use LastPass for storing site login details so, in a way, it doesn't matter if automatic logins via cookies isn't remembered. LastPass can be set to automatically log into sites on an individual basis.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 9:48 am

malcolm wrote:
Absolutely Mart. The 'suspicious activity' problems that have recently occurred with a couple of posters have been about the many IP addresses that have been used by them and are in their forum database when they try to log in.
I must admit that I don't fully understand it, but that does seem to be the reason.

I don't know much about the running of forums but do know that it's possible to ban an IP address. If that person comes back with a different IP address, this can be blocked as well. Hence a login problem.

I was once caught up in a ban because Admin was unable to ban someone on an individual IP address. Something to do with that area being assigned a bunch of IP addresses. They banned all of them and hoped nobody else would be caught up in it. They were and it was me. :) There was a way to contact Admin via e-mail and I eventually got back in.

Something related to login details: I got an e-mail from a forum saying they had removed an advertisement from my signature line because it was against the rules. I hadn't put the ad there and I decided that my login details for that forum had been hacked. It's a good job that placing the ad was all that the hacker did.

The password for that forum was a weak one and so I changed it for something stronger. The incident taught me to always have strong password for any site/forum that needs logging into.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 10:20 am

No one or no IP has ever been banned from this forum, I don't believe in banning, and have never banned anyone from any of the four forums that I have run.
The problem, I believe, is that popular ISP's issue more than one IP for their clients. I have only ever had one ISP whilst I have posted on this forum and, apart from holidays, have always posted from this home address but my records show that I have posted from hundreds of different IP addresses like every other forum member.
So....if someone tries to log in with yet another IP address that has been allocated to them by their ISP and this address has been 'guilty' of offences and has been banned by somewhere else, then perhaps that is the problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: constant log in required   constant log in required Empty

Back to top Go down

constant log in required
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next