Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Malwarebytes (Premium) Empty
PostSubject: Malwarebytes (Premium)   Malwarebytes (Premium) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 10:34 am

One concern with this program has always been the amount of RAM it uses while just sitting there monitoring Internet and computer activity. Task Manager on my computer shows it as being close on 200 megabytes. This is high compared to other security programs (AV programs for instance). This led me reading around the Internet about it. The result of this is that I reckon there's often no need to worry about security programs being heavy on computer RAM.

Does it matter how much RAM a program uses providing the computer has a sufficient amount of it? For instance, my computer has 8 gigabytes of RAM. Plenty to run programs with, so does it matter that Malwarebytes Premium is taking up 200 megabytes of it?

The traditional concern about RAM is that the more used by a program running in the background, the slower the system becomes. I don't think this is so however. RAM is there to be used, not saved (providing you have enough of it). More important would be if a background program activity was using CPU cycles because this would slow down other tasks that the computer was being used for.

I notice in Task Manager that most programs set to run in the background all take up their bit of RAM but CPU cycles are either minimal or non-existent. This means that programs running in the background won't necessarily slow a computer down.

This post by a Malwarebytes Forum Administrator is what finally clinched the opinion above for me.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Malwarebytes (Premium)   Malwarebytes (Premium) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 11:12 am

I asked ESET if it was OK to run Malwarebytes  Premium with Eset in view of the fact that it protected in real time the same as ESET.  They told me that it was pointless as ESET too offers real time protection, and running two such programs was pointless, however it would do no harm if I chose to do so.

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Malwarebytes (Premium) 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Malwarebytes (Premium)   Malwarebytes (Premium) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Although I have it installed on my machine it is never running and I never use it.
I really don't see the point of it when I have AVG running in the background and also Microsoft Windows own AV programme....belt and braces is ok but this is a program I can really do without.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Malwarebytes (Premium)   Malwarebytes (Premium) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 2:48 pm

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Malwarebytes (Premium) 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Malwarebytes (Premium)   Malwarebytes (Premium) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 4:45 pm

I do not trouble myself with intrusions and "malwares". 

I am on Linux.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Malwarebytes (Premium)   Malwarebytes (Premium) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 5:17 pm

We all have our preferences and mostly stay safe. I am using only Malwarebytes Premium at the moment because since version 3, it too runs multiple protections. Windows Defender is disabled.

I bought two lifetime licences for MBAM Pro some years ago and the company have honoured this upgrade after upgrade. I tend to swing between using MBAM Premium and HitmanPro.Alert3. Can't quite decide which one is best. They will run side by side but I prefer to run only one or the other.

Another point in the post is about how RAM is used. Providing a fair amount of it is installed in the computer, a program taking up a lot of RAM doesn't necessarily mean that it will slow the computer down ..as has been always thought by most of us. Looking at the amount of RAM a program uses in Task Manager is often used as a gauge of how heavy that program is on computer resources.

Regarding how MBAM Pro in particular works: Its database is loaded into RAM, so giving a higher figure (200mb) in Task Manager. While this might be thought this makes the program heavier, it can actually help to speed the computer up because it doesn't have to reference a database stored on the hard disk or in the Cloud (slower and possibly taking up CPU to read it).

Just an informational point.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Malwarebytes (Premium)   Malwarebytes (Premium) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 5:33 pm

catgate wrote:
I do not trouble myself with intrusions and "malwares". 

I am on Linux.

I know. :) I am a Linux user too but with a preference at the present time for Windows. I don't have any trouble using either platform.

Regarding Windows though, keeping malware away isn't an everyday struggle. It's just a matter of getting the protection of choice installed and then forgetting it. Such programs work in the background and look after themselves. Once a security program is running, a Windows computer can be used in just about the same way as a Linux computer and with as little worry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malwarebytes (Premium)   Malwarebytes (Premium) Empty

Back to top Go down

Malwarebytes (Premium)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Lifestyle :: Computer Matters-
Jump to: