Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Winchester Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptyThu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 am

Putting the scaffolding over Winchester Cathedral roof prior to carrying out repairs/renovation:

Winchester Cathedral Ub3S687

Winchester Cathedral Co8BLkW
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptyThu Jul 13, 2017 10:57 am

Nice pictures Mart. I know Winchester Cathedral very well. I did my six month's basic trying for the Army right next door to it at The Palace Barracks when I was in the 2nd 60th The Kings Royal Rifle Corps or 2nd Battalion The Royal Green Jackets as we were known. I often used to have a look around the place on a weekend. Beautiful building. I used to have a chat to King Arthur and the lads at The Round Table. giggle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptyThu Jul 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Gandalph wrote:
I used to have a chat to King Arthur and the lads at The Round Table. giggle

Who sat at the head of the table? :)
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptyThu Jul 13, 2017 10:28 pm

the big 'un of course!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptyFri Jul 14, 2017 9:22 am

You mean King Arfer? ...ar fer gawd's sake! :)
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptyFri Jul 14, 2017 9:44 am

We visited Winchester last year and spent the day looking round - including the cathedral and to see  Arfurs alleged round table hanging on the wall in a separate building the name of which I have forgotten

The high spot was a superb lunch at the Rick Stein restaurant.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptyFri Jul 14, 2017 10:40 am

We usually choose a day forecast to be sunny and warm to go on our days out. Then our usual alfresco lunching spots are either the park opposite the bus station (lower end of town) or on the banks of the River Itchen. Both very pleasant spots and quite nice not to to have to worry about getting the power-chair in anywhere and destroying the furniture. :)

Travelling by train, Winchester is close enough to us spend a few hours there and get home by early evening. Some great street musicians there.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptyFri Jul 14, 2017 12:57 pm

I once resided in B/stoke a stones throw from Winchester and actually did a double act working at the heath services in Bstoke but doing a stint in W/chester - I finally visited it in 2000 with the wif and had a delightful day out but DID NOT enjoy the multistorey car park what a disaster!
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptyFri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Car parking anywhere in the UK can be blinkin' awful. There are too many cars that need catering for. I don't know what the answer is to the problem. That's why I walk or bicycle where I can ...or use public transport.

Going to Winchester by train is good for us. The train station is about 1.5 miles away and I can still walk to and from that at a brisk pace I'm pleased to say.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 12:19 am

horses and horse and cart an shankers pony - oh those were the days!
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Winchester Cathedral, the Kinks  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Goldie wrote:

Ah yes Goldie. "A Bowdy O doh a bowdy O doh" ..and all that. :)

Not sure if The Kinks did the song but I remember it being done by The New Vaudeville Band.

Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Mart wrote:
Goldie wrote:

Not sure if The Kinks did the song but I remember it being done by The New Vaudeville Band.

Absolutely right Mart, got me groups muddled up  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Mart wrote:
Goldie wrote:

the shadows and frank sinatra also recorded versions!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winchester Cathedral   Winchester Cathedral Empty

Back to top Go down

Winchester Cathedral
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Lifestyle :: Members Photos-
Jump to: